Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Share your safe hacks!

I would really enjoy seeing how creative yinz get in customizing your safes. Let's see some hacks!

Here's a little one I just did tonight. My S&W 629 is too big for my pistol rack (which is full anyway). I realized that I had some dead space above the long guns, since I have more carbines than long rifles. All I had to do was drill and tap a shelf bracket, and screw an aluminum finger to it. Now the 629 has its own special spot to hang.

Default Re: Share your safe hacks!

Does changing the lock and lock plate myself count? From another thread,

I mentioned in another thread that I was having my safe guy upgrade the lock that came on my safe..., a Sargent and Greenleaf D-Drive 2007 series electronic lock. However, after I received the box today, I found the following installation video and decided to do it myself. It was just as easy as the video showed, and if you can use basic hand tools, you can change the lock on your safe as well.

Like many of you, I don't want to be locked out of my safe due to an electronic lock failure..., but I also liked the quick convenience of the electronic lock. That's why I chose the lock that I did..., it has the electronic key pad, but also a mechanical dial as back up in case the electronics fails. It is a little spendy, and it was a little extra for the black chrome to match the rest of my hardware, but considering the value of the contents and the price of the safe, I felt that it was a worthwhile investment.

http://www.securamsys.com/#!safelogic-xtreme/c705

They have even more "modern" versions with bluetooth!

Anyway, I've been playing with it and I couldn't be happier. Time will tell how it holds up, but overall, it is a solid piece and of higher quality than the S&G, IMO.

So if you want the best of both worlds, I can say that I recommend this lock..., just be sure that it will work with your safe. For most Liberty type safes, it will.

Here it is on my safe..., it is bigger than the S&G, but it didn't cover the "Made in USA" that's painted on the safe.

And when you pull up the dial lock, it's illuminated by a little LED. Nice touch.

Here's the installation video.

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

You should dip those two pieces in Tool Dip so you don't risk scratching it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Does changing the lock and lock plate myself count? From another thread,

I mentioned in another thread that I was having my safe guy upgrade the lock that came on my safe..., a Sargent and Greenleaf D-Drive 2007 series electronic lock. However, after I received the box today, I found the following installation video and decided to do it myself. It was just as easy as the video showed, and if you can use basic hand tools, you can change the lock on your safe as well.

[...]
    Today? LOL I timed this thread pretty well.

Nice lock!

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You should dip those two pieces in Tool Dip so you don't risk scratching it.
    Yep. Now that I know it works, I'll probably countersink the screw head and put some cloth tape on the brackets and the tracks.

Nah I posted that a few years ago.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

See here.
    (door organizer in a steel cabinet)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    See here.
    (door organizer in a steel cabinet)
    That's pretty cool that you were able to repurpose random parts from a drug store.

(Washington County)

I ran a white LED rope light all over the inside of my Liberty Fatboy safe. It plugs into a wireless remote outlet switch that is plugged into the safe*s internal outlet. The fob to turn on the lights sits front and center on the top shelf. Great lighting in the safe and easily turned on and off.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Delaware County)

Simple racks...

Here*s what I did to one of my safes in a similar thread from last year.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...highlight=Safe

I don*t recall seeing a dedicated thread to storage of firearms. Things that you do to keep your guns clean, safe and organized. This thread is for all things safe/storage. Ideas you have that are homemade or bought that you like and think others may benefit from.

I had an old stack on rifle safe that never fit many of my guns well. It had barrel racks that were set too high and did not protrude from the back of the safe to stabilize the rifles.

One of the old barrel racks.

I made two big changes that made the safe a lot more useful. I made a new barrel rack out of particle board and felt. This added a ton of stability and allows the rifles to all easily stay in place.

The other thing I did was build a shelf for the rifles to sit on. This raised the rifles and created more useable storage space. The trick to this was making the shelf in 2 halves so that they could fit through the door of the safe. Each half has three supports and they are unified by the rug which I added after I put the shelf in the safe.

Anyone else have any ideas or products that you have found particularly useful helping you store your firearms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast