Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New rifle purchase

I have not bought a new hunting rifle since the mid seventies.
    I bought a used 30-30 and old milsurps. I did buy a new shotgun or 2 and won a Savage 111 ( .300 win mag) at our clubs gun bash maybe close to 10 years ago.

A couple years ago, I took the Savage out of the safe and started working up a load for elk hunting..

A week ago, i shot an elk with the rifle ( .300 win mag) but when I fired and went to chamber another round, it didn't feed.

I have since read that this problem exists in many Savage rifles.
    I'm going to disassemble it to see if there is something in the mag causing this problem.

I'm considering a new rifle, also in .300 win mag.
    Starting to look at Remington, Winchester, Ruger and Savage.
    I don't want to go to WSM so my quest will be .300 Win Mag.

A friend who completed a gunsmithing course said Remington had some issues.
    I read a bit on Ruger Americans and liked what I read on a preliminary basis. Some Rugers ( not the magnums) also have feeding issues.

If I go this route and buy a new rifle, I'd like to stay within a 1K budget.

Any input about pros and cons with the 3 makes ive listed would be appreciated. I'm ok with carrying an 8 lb gun /ammo / scope combo so am not looking for a super light magnum.

Also, caliber. I have a lot of .300 wm cases, dies etc etc so would like to stay with this caliber although at 71, maybe I should consider something with less recoil.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New rifle purchase

Winchester Model 70s with the Mauser/Pre-64 style claw extractor are known for reliable feeding. Unfortunately, they're also no longer made in the US.

(Lackawanna County)

Tikka

(Northumberland County)

I cant say I've ever encountered that issue on a Savage and do tend to hold their centerfires in high regard (less their budget guns like the Axis). It might be worth trying to sort out the cause, as your gun as a whole is likely among the. better ones. Newer Remingtons have gone downhill somewhat despite keeping prices up due to name, and they're now bankrupt/reorganized/sold off. Now an older Rem. BDL or something like that...thats a nice gun. The Ruger M77/Hawkeye lineup is a classic, though honestly not my go to and not the first one that comes to mind. The Ruger American line is fine IMO, but just 'fine'... not pretty or special in any way. Winchester has been all over the board in recent decades, with their various managements and QC...no idea on how current offerings compare. As mentioned previously, Tikkas are also well regarded. I also see Howa 1500s pretty often and usually hear good things about them.

As for caliber, if I were buying a new one for PA-only use, I'd skip the 300WM. Not many places in the state that you can take full advantage of the caliber vs. 30-06, 308, 270, 7mm, etc., and the recoil and ammo cost will be worse. Not sure if you pulled a PA Elk tag or went out west? If going out west, then the 300WM makes more sense but even then is not a necessity. My uncle took a few elk, mule deer, and even brown bear with stout 30-06 loads in Colorado, Canada and Alaska over the years (not suggesting its the ideal caliber for all those, just that it's an option).

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Tikka

Tikka t3x veil wideland in your caliber would be my choice. I own other tikka t3s, my bud just bought the veil wideland in 300 win mag for next year and you really can*t find to much bad said about them. Look them up, pay once cry once.

(Berks County)

Vintage Remington 700 or Winchester 70 in 30-06.

(Carbon County)

"Working up a load". 40+ years of machining and gunsmithing taught me to start there. OAL a little long? Case bulge hanging up? It is something to check.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    I cant say I've ever encountered that issue on a Savage and do tend to hold their centerfires in high regard (less their budget guns like the Axis). It might be worth trying to sort out the cause, as your gun as a whole is likely among the. better ones.
    This is where I would put my efforts. I have an older Savage 30-06 that is an excellent shooter. It is the model with removable magazines, which is what I prefer. I would be curious as to why there was a problem with yours, as I have not heard of this problem until now. Since the one you have has proven itself as a shooter, why not fix the feed problem instead of getting a whole new unproven rifle? Unless of course you just want to get a new rifle anyhow...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I have been looking at getting a new rifle. Have you looked at the Weatherby Vanguard? They guarantee 1 moa accuracy and have an adjustable two stage trigger. Some of their cerakoted models are pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure it will be my next rifle. I have a Weatherby Mark V Sporter In 300 win mag. I picked it up used about 8 yrs ago for $900. It's a beautiful gun. Awesome trigger, smooth bolt and under 1 moa accuracy with factory ammo. It's even made in the USA.

I own a few Savages and never experienced your issue, OP. I also have a Savage in 300WM that I put together.

Tikka are nice, but I'd want a heavier rifle than their T3/T3X in 300WM. The recoil on a 300WM is going to be stout on a T3/T3X.

Every gunsmith works on a Remington action, which is good news for you since Remington is no longer in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast