Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Victory in Philadelphia: Gun Permit Unit Will Accept Applications via Email

Another victory -

PHILADELPHIA (CN) * Having closed the physical doors, Philadelphia must accept applications for gun permits submitted by mail and online under the terms of a compromise that a federal judge endorsed in court Thursday.

At a hearing this morning, U.S. Magistrate Judge David Strawbridge noted the *very significant give and take* between the city, which needs to have an effective licensing system, and the two young would-be gun owners who had sued it, praising the latter for being mindful of the budgetary and public safety constraints the city is working under.

During the early days of the coronavirus pandemic when only essential business was permitted, Philadelphia police shut down their Gun Permit Unit for four months beginning in March 2020. The office reopened in July, but at this point appointments were backlogged through 2022. On Nov. 18, the office closed again, tweeting that the office itself was facing an outbreak.

Represented by the Firearm Policy Coalition, 29-year-old Keith Fetsurka and 35-year-old Timothy Sieck complained that the Philadelphia police department*s physical-application requirements in an era when most other public services can be performed online violated the Second Amendment.

Danielle Outlaw, who is the city*s police commissioner, and Colonel Robert Evanchick, her corollary with the Pennsylvania State Police, meanwhile denied that that the rapid processing of a firearms license applications for public carry during a public health emergency was a protected right.

The terms of the agreement that the parties reached Thursday includes $30,000 from Philadelphia to the plaintiffs for damages and court costs, and an agreement to terms of how the city will operate its gun permitting office more effectively moving forward.

Going forward, the city will accept gun permit applications via online submission, via mail and in-person. Furthermore, if the city and gun-permitting office is forced to shut down again for any reason, the agreement says it must resume acceptance of in-person applications *as soon as reasonably practicable after the abatement of circumstance that forced the suspension.*

If in-person appointments are suspended, the terms also stipulate that the city will still accept mail and electronic submissions, which will be considered *received* the day they are submitted to the office * granted all parts of the application are filled out fully.

What*s more, if the city can*t offer 90% of applicants a time slot to pick up their permit within 45 days of when their applications have been approved, it must extend its hours of operations, the terms stipulate, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays, and strive to have pick-up time slots available every 10 minutes.

U.S. District Judge Michael Baylson said at the hearing Thursday that the settlement between the two parties looked promising, but he plans to retain jurisdiction over the case for the next decade in case additional disputes arise. Some time after the hearing, he signed the order of judgment against the city.
    https://www.courthousenews.com/phila...ermit-seekers/

(Berks County)

Default Re: Victory in Philadelphia: Gun Permit Unit Will Accept Applications via Email

More info and the settlement agreement - https://blog.princelaw.com/2021/04/2...irearm-delays/
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by astn View Post
    You may be surprised at how many people are seeking carry permits. I was the lawyer who filed the suit against the City of Philadelphia, and while I was preparing that case I was surprised by the political make-up of the applicants. Gun rights are't a red/blue thing anymore; it's just a question of if the politicians are going to catch-up with the times or are the voters going let themselves be browbeat back into "guns bad!"

Point blank, the Sheriff isn't allowed to do that, and the only reason that Chester County (and I believe DelCo) are able to do that is because it's too expensive to fix, there is very little likelihood of recovering attorney's fees, so citizens (or organizations) are left paying the bill. If it weren't for GOA, Philadelphia's gun permit unit would probably still be closed today.

I'd be happy to do it again vs. Chester and Delaware Sheriffs, but it's just expensive (even at 'friendly' rates.) If you (or a group of you) are interested, let me know.
    I was talking to a few people yesterday at the Montco courthouse. I think their democrap sheriff needs a smack-down too.

There was 3 females in line to pic up their licenses .
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

These knuckleheads can't even get the terminology correct. PA doesn't issue permits...

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    These knuckleheads can't even get the terminology correct. PA doesn't issue permits...
    Sign in Montco court house/sheriffs dept sez GUN PERMITS. Actually , before the PA Uniform Firearms Act , it was called a 'permit'.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

So realistically can people who reside in Philadelphia now get permits without a hassle? My daughter didn't get her permit when she lived with me in Bucks county (where it is not a problem) and for now she lives in the city. Can she just apply online and go pick it up or is there still some BS that will stop it?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    So realistically can people who reside in Philadelphia now get permits without a hassle? My daughter didn't get her permit when she lived with me in Bucks county (where it is not a problem) and for now she lives in the city. Can she just apply online and go pick it up or is there still some BS that will stop it?
    I just had a friend go through this. He submitted his app via email when Philadelphia re-opened at the end of 2020. He did not get his LTCF in 45 days or hear anything from Philly. Instead, they cancelled all emailed forms and he had to resubmit online last week. A friend of his brother submitted his application online, got approved in three weeks, but had to schedule an appointment to pickup his LTCF in July.

I've got another friend who is going to be submitting her app next week. Who knows when she or my buddy may get their LTCF.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I just had a friend go through this. He submitted his app via email when Philadelphia re-opened at the end of 2020. He did not get his LTCF in 45 days or hear anything from Philly. Instead, they cancelled all emailed forms and he had to resubmit online last week. A friend of his brother submitted his application online, got approved in three weeks, but had to schedule an appointment to pickup his LTCF in July.
    I've got another friend who is going to be submitting her app next week. Who knows when she or my buddy may get their LTCF.
    So...

Lawyer time.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by astn View Post
    You may be surprised at how many people are seeking carry permits. I was the lawyer who filed the suit against the City of Philadelphia, and while I was preparing that case I was surprised by the political make-up of the applicants. Gun rights are't a red/blue thing anymore; it's just a question of if the politicians are going to catch-up with the times or are the voters going let themselves be browbeat back into "guns bad!"

Point blank, the Sheriff isn't allowed to do that, and the only reason that Chester County (and I believe DelCo) are able to do that is because it's too expensive to fix, there is very little likelihood of recovering attorney's fees, so citizens (or organizations) are left paying the bill. If it weren't for GOA, Philadelphia's gun permit unit would probably still be closed today.

I'd be happy to do it again vs. Chester and Delaware Sheriffs, but it's just expensive (even at 'friendly' rates.) If you (or a group of you) are interested, let me know.

Federal civil rights lawsuit?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Follow the link in post #42, the link to the decision is there and it's not too hard to understand.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast