Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Ammo price gouging

Was able to buy 1 box 9mm brass with new pew for $19. They hide it in back to sell with new pews.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

It sucks having to pay more than you think you should for something, but I do not blame any store/seller. I really don*t see it as gouging. Many people were willing to take advantage of stores when it was a buyers market and stocked up. Those who did not prepare have no one to blame but themselves.

I am not sure what stores are paying from manufacturers. I doubt that they are paying the same they did a year ago.... so they have to cover any markup from the manufacturers.

On top of that, stores are only getting so much stock in right now. It*s flying off the shelves at the prices they are asking. They have to make their profit while they can. If a store gets ammo in and sells it at a low price....... it flys off the shelf and they quickly find themselves without any product to sell until they get more in. In many cases that seems to be a while. So they are not making money during that time. By charging higher prices on the ammo when they have it..... they are making sure they can pay their employees, bills, and have some left over for the time they are out of stock.

A lot of people are selling for high prices in the classifieds. I don*t blame them either. The shortage was not hard to see coming. Stocking up to get through it was smart Stocking up get through the shortage and to sell during the shortage is smarter. If I were to sell any, it would definitely take a lot to make it worth selling. I did spend money to stock up to take care of those who did not.

Like I said I don*t see it as gouging when people are willing to pay the price. I think that after every election year shortage a group of people who got caught short handed learn and prepare for the next shortage by taking advantage of the buyers market when they can. It*s the smart thing to do.

In a free market there is no such thing as gouging.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

The prices you see after a quick internet search are artificial. Yes it is the price for someone need who needs instant gratification and to buy ammo with one click from "dealers" who are out to screw you.....But this is not the going rate. Very few transactions are taking place. 98+ percent of gun owners are just riding this one out with an equal number of dealers /distributors are selling for the price they always paid.

You can find multiple listings on the for sale section for less than a dollar 9mm's, 45's, 223's and even 30-06. And no one is buying it (it keeps getting bumped). So what is the real "price"?

(Pike County)

People buy ammo?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The prices you see after a quick internet search are artificial. Yes it is the price for someone need who needs instant gratification and to buy ammo with one click from "dealers" who are out to screw you.....But this is not the going rate. Very few transactions are taking place. 98+ percent of gun owners are just riding this one out with an equal number of dealers /distributors are selling for the price they always paid.

You can find multiple listings on the for sale section for less than a dollar 9mm's, 45's, 223's and even 30-06. And no one is buying it (it keeps getting bumped). So what is the real "price"?
    I'm always amazed that people try to rake other members over the coals here.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Chester County)

This is a silly thread!

Price gouging laws include commodities that present potential risk to our national security... gasoline for example.

The US government* have all the ammunition they need, so no security risk there.

*and everyone in this thread who have stockpiles of .22LR in their basement.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I'm always amazed that people try to rake other members over the coals here.
    Should members sell to other members below market value, taking a loss? Or should they sell it elsewhere at market value, to avoid offending members?

(Berks County)

Fair enough, I am not a buyer indeed.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast