Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Best place to purchase first suppressor?

I'm sure this isn't a new topic, but I'm interested in purchasing a 22lr and 223/5.56 suppressor (yes 2 different cans) and want to know from personal experience, which places have made the process easiest with the best customer support.

I still haven't entirely narrowed in on the models I'd like yet. But i think that will be easier once I find the retailer I'd like to use.

Additionally, I'm interested in doing it as a trust so the need for a free trust set up is preferred. I suppose i could pay for this service as well.

And maybe as a tangent, who do you have as trustees on your trust?

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Best place to purchase first suppressor?

Any place that has a Silencer Shop kiosk will make the process extremely simple. And once your profile is set up, you won*t have to mess with sending prints or photos for a long time.

I*ve never heard of anyone offering a free trust service, but generic NFA trusts can be obtained online for around $100, but will also need notarized.

I made a trust to make things easier on my wife in the event that something happens to me. I goofed though, and made her a responsible person, so now every time I go to file a form 1, I also have to have her to go through the process. It wouldn’t be a huge deal, but she is not particularly interested in firearms and doesn*t understand why I make her go through all this paperwork.

(Lancaster County)

I read an article this month in American Rifleman about Silencer Central what seems to be a turnkey way to buy. Full disclosure Silencer Central had the back page ad of that issue.
    https://www.silencercentral.com/

Edit: found the article https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ing-simplified

(Centre County)

I like to think that I make buying a suppressor pretty easy (I do fingerprints at my shop) but I'm in State College.

Really, having a trust isn't really necessary unless you want someone to be able to take the NFA item to use without you being there (like taking it from PA to Wyoming for a hunting trip). As for transferring an NFA item to someone in case something were to happen to you, it isn't needed. If you designate an individual in your will to receive the item(s) in case of your demise, the executor of your estate just takes the item(s), with a copy of the death certificate, to a FFL/SOT and they will fill out a ATF Form 5 which is a tax free transfer of the NFA items.

One problem with the Silencer Shop way of doing things is that yes, they have your info and fingerprints in a database so it's easy to complete the paperwork, evn several years down the road, but if hacked the hacker now has ALL your info (DOB/SSAN/address/picture/etc. AND your fingerprints.

Now (things changed in 2016 or so) doing a trust, ALL the people on the trust (other than the beneficiary) must submit an ATF Responsible Person Questionaire, passport photos and fingerprints.

That said, you can find generic NFA Trusts on line for between $75 and $150. You just want to be sure they are recognized legally in all the states (most if not all I've seen have done this).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

One problem with the Silencer Shop way of doing things is that yes, they have your info and fingerprints in a database so it's easy to complete the paperwork, evn several years down the road, but if hacked the hacker now has ALL your info (DOB/SSAN/address/picture/etc. AND your fingerprints.

Now (things changed in 2016 or so) doing a trust, ALL the people on the trust (other than the beneficiary) must submit an ATF Responsible Person Questionaire, passport photos and fingerprints.
    Precisely why I have not (and will never) buy an NFA item. Just way too uncomfortable with giving all that information, especially for a suppressor. Hopefully in my lifetime the NFA will be a thing of the past..I'm perfectly fine with waiting(even if it never happens). Just seems like an even easier way for the gov't to have every single piece of info they need about you on a list to do god knows what with, or for that info to be stolen or sold to someone even worse.
    -Brandon

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I'm sure this isn't a new topic, but I'm interested in purchasing a 22lr and 223/5.56 suppressor (yes 2 different cans) and want to know from personal experience, which places have made the process easiest with the best customer support.

I still haven't entirely narrowed in on the models I'd like yet. But i think that will be easier once I find the retailer I'd like to use.

Additionally, I'm interested in doing it as a trust so the need for a free trust set up is preferred. I suppose i could pay for this service as well.

And maybe as a tangent, who do you have as trustees on your trust?

-Zach
    Silencer shop made everything super easy. It's all electronic, super hassle free. You have to be comfortable with giving all that information out, but if you want a can, you don't really have any other legal options.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Silencer shop made everything super easy. It's all electronic, super hassle free. You have to be comfortable with giving all that information out, but if you want a can, you don't really have any other legal options.
    You actually can do your own fingerprints, there is nothing in the ATF instructions that says you must have the prints done by X, Y or Z. At my shop I provide the fingerprint cards and explain how to do your own fingerprints (I supply the FP ink and card holder) so that they come out acceptable for the FBI.

If you have EVER been fingerprinted in the past the .GOV has them on file already.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You actually can do your own fingerprints, there is nothing in the ATF instructions that says you must have the prints done by X, Y or Z. At my shop I provide the fingerprint cards and explain how to do your own fingerprints (I supply the FP ink and card holder) so that they come out acceptable for the FBI.

If you have EVER been fingerprinted in the past the .GOV has them on file already.
    I just used a Silencer Shop Kiosk, super painless.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    I read an article this month in American Rifleman about Silencer Central what seems to be a turnkey way to buy. Full disclosure Silencer Central had the back page ad of that issue.
    https://www.silencercentral.com/

Edit: found the article https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ing-simplified
    I've been on their website and they definitely do free gun trusts. But has anybody actually used them?

I've also seen silencer shop's site before as well. Haven't looked recently.

I'm aware i don't NEED a trust. But i can't see a down side to it if it is free... Or am i missing something?

Additionally, I'm not excited about putting all of my information out there. But I'm also not trying to complicate the process.

-Zach

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I've been on their website and they definitely do free gun trusts. But has anybody actually used them?

I've also seen silencer shop's site before as well. Haven't looked recently.

I'm aware i don't NEED a trust. But i can't see a down side to it if it is free... Or am i missing something?

Additionally, I'm not excited about putting all of my information out there. But I'm also not trying to complicate the process.

-Zach
    How many people are gong to be on the trust? How many of them want to fill out the forms and do the FP's and photos and undergo the background check?

Either way, if you create the trust, you have to submit your FP's, answer the ATF questions and undergo the background check just the same as if you do it as an individual. And if something happens to you, as an individual Form 1 or Form 4 holder the NFA item(s) are as easily transferred to your heirs as it is to the next trustee.

It used to be that the trust was the way to go because there were no requirements for the people in the trust to do FP, questions, BGC's (other than the maker of the trust had to do a BGC when they picked up the Approved Form 4 and the NFA item). In most cases that I saw, there was no need for a trust because the maker of the trust probably wasn't going to allow the trust item(s) to be taken and used by the other trustees with him (or her) to be at the same place, it was just to make it easier for the item(s) to be stored by someone else (a trustee) if something bad happened to the trust maker. Remember, the trust actually owns the item(s) not the person who bought it/them and then if the trust is dissolved, it could create problems if the dissolution steps are not clearly set out in the trust paperwork.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast