Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Beretta 92 appreciation with a few minor complaints

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The P226 was obviously then and still is today a better firearm but Beretta had a better financial backing at the time so the military went with the inferior firearm. Slides cracking, slides leaving frames without permission and some other minor issues. Beretta 92 was a mistake for the US military but as things go the units that were able to choose their sidearm (Navy Seals) chose the Sig. Beretta fixed all the built in defects but that's how military contracts go, get in with low price and fix your problems later because the military at that point has no choice but to go along they need a sidearm.
    Thought the JSSAP was all about finding the 1 handgun for all.

Verdict I heard was the Sig won on results , the Beretta beat it on price and a commitment to build a US factory sooner.

Rank & file got the 92 (M9) , Spec-Ops got the Sig anyway. Some kept the 1911!

Now , there's even more pistols in use.

In active service
    Beretta M9 (9×19mm)
    SIG Sauer M11 (P228) (9×19mm)
    SIG Sauer M17 Modular Handgun System (P320 Full-Size) (9×19mm) * Was selected by the US Army to replace the M9 after winning the XM17 Modular Handgun System competition
    SIG Sauer M18 Modular Handgun System (P320 Carry) (9×19mm) * Was selected by the US Army, Marines and Air Force to replace the M11 after winning the XM17 Modular Handgun System competition.

Beretta M9

M11

M17

In active service (some branches or limited roles)
    Beretta M9A1 (9×19mm) (USMC)
    Glock M007 (Glock 19M) (9×19mm) (USMC & USSOCOM)
    Heckler & Koch P11 (Underwater Pistol) (7.62×36mm rocket-propelled darts) (USSOCOM)
    Heckler & Koch Mk 23 Mod 0 (.45 ACP) (USSOCOM)
    Heckler & Koch Mk 24 Mod 0 (HK45 Compact Tactical) (.45 ACP) (NAVSPECWAR)
    SIG Sauer Mk 25 Mod 0 (P226) (9×19mm) (NAVSPECWAR)
    SIG Sauer P229R DAK (.40 S&W) (USCG)
    SIG Sauer SP2022 (JSOC)
    Glock Mk 26 Mod 0 (Glock 26) (9×19mm) (USSOCOM)
    Glock Mk 27 Mod 0 (Glock 19) (9×19mm) (USSOCOM)
    Glock Mk 28 Mod 0 (Glock 17) (9×19mm) (USSOCOM)
    Glock Mk 29 Mod 0 (Glock 34) (9×19mm) (USSOCOM)
    M45A1 CQBP (Close Quarters Battle Pistol) (.45 ACP) (USSOCOM)
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Didn't care for it's grandfather , the Walther P-38 , very much either.

Attachment 139851
    I had a p38 for a short while. Heaviest double action pull over experienced. That and a low magazine capacity kind of forced me to sell it off.

-Zach

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I'm glad to see it isn't just be who can see the similarity between the Beretta and cz75. Fun fact, I've been carrying my cz75d pcr in a galco Beretta 92 holster. It fits quite well.

I've seen cones for the barrel/slide that apparently help lock it up tighter. But for be, the accuracy is plenty accurate. I'm not target shooting. I'm happy with a paper plate sized group at 15+ yards. Usually it is better than that though.

Yes. The aftermarket isn't cheap or plentiful. I bought the 92a1 and then spent 200 additional dollars on "feel good" kind of upgrades. Kind of the original reason i posted.

Did you put the d hammer spring in yours?
    I've had it in my 92fs for years now. Never a light strike. Much better double action pull. Improved single action as well. But you really feel it on the double.

Compared to working on the cz75 pcr, the Beretta is actually quite easy. We'll see if i feel that way still after doing the g conversion. I did order the kits immediately after i said i was going to.

-Zach
    I haven't done a thing to it yet, other than shoot it a little. I have thought about doing the D hammer spring thing, and maybe a lightweight hammer, but haven't gotten around to it.

My probable 1st thing I'll do is ceracoat it to the black finish. One of these days... Hard to do with no spare time, or money at times.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I haven't done a thing to it yet, other than shoot it a little. I have thought about doing the D hammer spring thing, and maybe a lightweight hammer, but haven't gotten around to it.

My probable 1st thing I'll do is ceracoat it to the black finish. One of these days... Hard to do with no spare time, or money at times.
    What!? Coat the inox model? Crazy talk. Sell it and buy the brunitron model! Haha. I think the silver looks flashy.

And I HIGHLY recommend the d spring. Even if you do nothing else.

-Zach

(Dauphin County)

I have carried the Beretta 92 for over 20 years in the Military and DoD Police. I still carry its bigger brother the 96. Never had any problems. Carry off safe like I learned in my first department (SW 4506).
    It has the "D" spring and INS Trigger installed.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Not that we'll ever know, but I'd be curious to know the cause of failure there.

I recall the military not using Beretta magazines caused problems. But this sounds like the round chambered and had either a light strike or no strike.

Furthermore, why wasn't his round already chambered the first time he went to fire? And is it common (never in the military) to be issued a weapon and not fire it?

I wouldn't carry a weapon i wasn't confident in. So it needs to go to the range and used. I need to be comfortable with my own proficiency with it. Never have I bought a gun, not fired it, and then carried it.

-Zach

Very common.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

After all is said and done Beretta fixed all the problems and today it is a very reliable pistol. I'd own one if I were in the market for another 9mm pistol but as it stands I have enough of those for the time being. Like I mentioned before when it comes to military contracts many things come into consideration. I own a Beretta 9mm pistol, it's a sub compact and I carry quite often and I believe in the quality of Beretta.

My little Beretta was berated after it came out because some shooters had stoppages due to using certain ammo and having weak wrists. Beretta fixed that problem by using a different recoil spring on the second run of the gun. I've put about 5-600 rounds through the little guy using Nato 124 FMJ, White box 115 FMJ and HP, and various hollow points without a hitch. Anyway, don't take any of my criticism of the original M9 as a disparagement of Beretta because I believe Beretta is an upstanding company. Look at their actions, when Maryland put communist gun laws into place Beretta picked up and moved to a free State of Tennessee. Gotta keep those school kids safe with new gun laws.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    After all is said and done Beretta fixed all the problems and today it is a very reliable pistol. I'd own one if I were in the market for another 9mm pistol but as it stands I have enough of those for the time being. Like I mentioned before when it comes to military contracts many things come into consideration. I own a Beretta 9mm pistol, it's a sub compact and I carry quite often and I believe in the quality of Beretta.

My little Beretta was berated after it came out because some shooters had stoppages due to using certain ammo and having weak wrists. Beretta fixed that problem by using a different recoil spring on the second run of the gun. I've put about 5-600 rounds through the little guy using Nato 124 FMJ, White box 115 FMJ and HP, and various hollow points without a hitch. Anyway, don't take any of my criticism of the original M9 as a disparagement of Beretta because I believe Beretta is an upstanding company. Look at their actions, when Maryland put communist gun laws into place Beretta picked up and moved to a free State of Tennessee. Gotta keep those school kids safe with new gun laws.

That's awesome about Beretta moving. I didn't realize that. Last time i looked they were in maryland still.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    1) Decocker/safety: Yeah, this is the biggest issue I have with the gun. Now, I have a 92G, which fixes one of the issues, but others remain. It's both too easy and too hard to hit. It's possible to hit it if your finger slips while racking it (I personally haven't had this issue). Yet, it's harder to reach when you are done shooting. (For reference, my favorite decocker location of all DA/SA guns I've shot has been the HK P2000/P30 style decocker).

The safety is redundant. I'm not against safeties if that's your preference, but the safety should allow you to do cocked and locked. Decocked and locked like the Beretta has it is unnecessary. Either have a decocker and no safety (designed to be carried hammer down), or no decocker and a safety (designed to be carried cocked and locked). I personally disable the safety on all of my HK USPs by converting them to V3.
    Tonight i installed 2 Beretta g conversion kits.

Watched this video to assist since Beretta's website wouldn't load the instructions on my phone.

First kit took about 15 minutes. Second one under 5.

Even knowing the plungers were going to fire out, i couldn't stop them. Didn't lose any parts though.

And I'm not sure why he says you need 3 hands at one point. Press in the firing pin block, press the firing pin plunger on the safety in and then you can let go of the firing pin block. This frees your other hand up.

The kit is well thought out and includes spare parts for nearly everything you could conceivably lose. Not sure why it didn't come with the firing pin plunger though.

I don't think aesthetically it looks as nice as the factory g models or the factory safety. It just has a different look on the right side. Functionally though, it is excellent! And should the g spring wear out, i have 2 spares now from the kits.

-Zach

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I bought a 92A1 around 2012. I hated it. The way I rack my slides, I accidentally activate the safety all the time. If I still owned it, I'd definitely install the de-cocker only kit. The other problem back then was the near total lack of holster availability for the A1. I'd hope that problem has been solved in the last 8 years.

Since then I bought a P229 and a P226. I love the Sigs - the feel of them in my hands, the triggers, the frame-mounted de-cockers. And holsters galore.

It's funny seeing these guns in the movies. The 92 is so Bruce Willis, and the P229 is all Jason Bourne. The P229 is definitely the hot movie gun these days.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast