Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Beretta 92 appreciation with a few minor complaints

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I really want a 92x. As was said above, it addresses almost all of the gripes I have with the gun. I've had an fs and currently have an s model. If panic pricing ever calms down, I definitely think I'm going to get the x model.
    My dad got one from Cabela's online for $500 in August. It's a nice shooter, especially with the larger grips.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Found this....by chance just this morning:

Pete
    Not that we'll ever know, but I'd be curious to know the cause of failure there.

I recall the military not using Beretta magazines caused problems. But this sounds like the round chambered and had either a light strike or no strike.

Furthermore, why wasn't his round already chambered the first time he went to fire? And is it common (never in the military) to be issued a weapon and not fire it?

I wouldn't carry a weapon i wasn't confident in. So it needs to go to the range and used. I need to be comfortable with my own proficiency with it. Never have I bought a gun, not fired it, and then carried it.

-Zach

(Jefferson County)

I've always thought the 92 series to be a sexy gun(same with the CZ). Sure, they aren't the best or even most accuracy - but functional and good looking.

I have a stainless(Inox) 92FS, Italian made sometime in the 1990's. Only plastic on is the grips. I wanted the black/military finish, however I was presented a deal with a derringer which was hard to pass up.

Some of Cons below are due to my personal dislike:

CONS:
    1. Small front sight with no means to change it.
    2. Slide mounted safety/decocker - I prefer lower, frame mounted like earlier models and that of the Taurus 92 which was designed on the earlier model.
    3. Weight, its heavy. Solid, but heavy.
    4. The slack in the SA trigger stroke - lots of free movement before it starts doing something.
    5. Doesn't have the aftermarket options that a 1911, Glock, or a few others have despite being around for several decades.
    6. Not much you can do to tighten up groups by means for fit/finish/replacement parts.
    7. Some parts are still expensive for what they are, often just because it is for a Beretta.

PROS:
    1. Sturdy, would make a decent short club if you ran out of ammo - helps offset CON#3.
    2. Fits my hands well(this being subjective to individual)
    3. Not all that bad of a bore center, helps keep gun on target.
    4. Reliable.
    5. Until the US Mil fully swaps out to the Sig, you have a source of spare parts/mags in a SHTF situation.
    6. SA and DA trigger strokes are pretty good once you get past that SA slack.
    7. Lots of holster options
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I'll also throw in that I scored one of the 22LR conversion kits (barrel, slide, RSA and magazine) for $200 on BF. I'll do a review eventually if folks are interested. Good option especially considering the current price of 9mm.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'll also throw in that I scored one of the 22LR conversion kits (barrel, slide, RSA and magazine) for $200 on BF. I'll do a review eventually if folks are interested. Good option especially considering the current price of 9mm.
    I realize a bit late, but who had that on sale?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've always thought the 92 series to be a sexy gun(same with the CZ). Sure, they aren't the best or even most accuracy - but functional and good looking.

I have a stainless(Inox) 92FS, Italian made sometime in the 1990's. Only plastic on is the grips. I wanted the black/military finish, however I was presented a deal with a derringer which was hard to pass up.

Some of Cons below are due to my personal dislike:

CONS:
    1. Small front sight with no means to change it.
    2. Slide mounted safety/decocker - I prefer lower, frame mounted like earlier models and that of the Taurus 92 which was designed on the earlier model.
    3. Weight, its heavy. Solid, but heavy.
    4. The slack in the SA trigger stroke - lots of free movement before it starts doing something.
    5. Doesn't have the aftermarket options that a 1911, Glock, or a few others have despite being around for several decades.
    6. Not much you can do to tighten up groups by means for fit/finish/replacement parts.
    7. Some parts are still expensive for what they are, often just because it is for a Beretta.

PROS:
    1. Sturdy, would make a decent short club if you ran out of ammo - helps offset CON#3.
    2. Fits my hands well(this being subjective to individual)
    3. Not all that bad of a bore center, helps keep gun on target.
    4. Reliable.
    5. Until the US Mil fully swaps out to the Sig, you have a source of spare parts/mags in a SHTF situation.
    6. SA and DA trigger strokes are pretty good once you get past that SA slack.
    7. Lots of holster options
    I'm glad to see it isn't just be who can see the similarity between the Beretta and cz75. Fun fact, I've been carrying my cz75d pcr in a galco Beretta 92 holster. It fits quite well.

I've seen cones for the barrel/slide that apparently help lock it up tighter. But for be, the accuracy is plenty accurate. I'm not target shooting. I'm happy with a paper plate sized group at 15+ yards. Usually it is better than that though.

Yes. The aftermarket isn't cheap or plentiful. I bought the 92a1 and then spent 200 additional dollars on "feel good" kind of upgrades. Kind of the original reason i posted.

Did you put the d hammer spring in yours? I've had it in my 92fs for years now. Never a light strike. Much better double action pull. Improved single action as well. But you really feel it on the double.

Compared to working on the cz75 pcr, the Beretta is actually quite easy. We'll see if i feel that way still after doing the g conversion. I did order the kits immediately after i said i was going to.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I realize a bit late, but who had that on sale?

-Zach
    Beretta itself, Berettausa.com. They've had significant coupon codes each recent holiday (30, 40% off for bigger purchases). Good for stocking up on mags too. Maybe you'll get lucky with a new year's sale, or president's day.

(Chester County)

The P226 was obviously then and still is today a better firearm but Beretta had a better financial backing at the time so the military went with the inferior firearm. Slides cracking, slides leaving frames without permission and some other minor issues. Beretta 92 was a mistake for the US military but as things go the units that were able to choose their sidearm (Navy Seals) chose the Sig. Beretta fixed all the built in defects but that's how military contracts go, get in with low price and fix your problems later because the military at that point has no choice but to go along they need a sidearm.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Beretta itself, Berettausa.com. They've had significant coupon codes each recent holiday (30, 40% off for bigger purchases). Good for stocking up on mags too. Maybe you'll get lucky with a new year's sale, or president's day.
    Thanks! I'll definitely be adding their email. I don't need magazines. I have 5 17 round guys, 1 18 round mecgar that works great and has a thinner floor plate than the Beretta 17 round magazine and at least 6 15 round magazines, but it might be more. Although... Maybe one of those goofy long 30 round mags would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The P226 was obviously then and still is today a better firearm but Beretta had a better financial backing at the time so the military went with the inferior firearm. Slides cracking, slides leaving frames without permission and some other minor issues. Beretta 92 was a mistake for the US military but as things go the units that were able to choose their sidearm (Navy Seals) chose the Sig. Beretta fixed all the built in defects but that's how military contracts go, get in with low price and fix your problems later because the military at that point has no choice but to go along they need a sidearm.
    "You're not a seal until you've tasted italian steel". Haha. I've read that yes, the frames absolutely did crack, but none actually came off of the frame. Still a catastrophic failure.

Sig isn't perfect either. The drop fire and most recent cross prove that. I had a p229 that I hated. Ex has a p239 that I liked better. Shot a friend's p226 and it was pretty nice. I still greatly prefer the Beretta. Warts and all.

-Zach

Didn't care for it's grandfather , the Walther P-38 , very much either.

p38b92.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast