Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Straight Pull vs. Pump AR conversions

Beginning to look into either a straight pull or pump action conversion for an AR. See far more straight pulls then pumps & wonder why. Seems like with a tight case, the straight pull struggles with & with a pump you would have far more leverage.

Ultimate objective would be to get stupid quite shooting subsonic suppressed. Obviously talking about 300 Blackout & 458 SOCOM. With a good suppressor & subsonic, the largest source of noise is the action, which can be eliminated by locking the bolt, or converting to non semi-auto.

An additional advantage is that the AR platformed 458 would be legal for deer in PA!

Default Re: Straight Pull vs. Pump AR conversions

I've made homemade pumpaction ak and ars, one issue with the way I did the ar is replacing the gas tube with a solid bar it can flex if a case is stuck leaving a normal charging handle in it can aid in removing stuck cases. If you can find a left side charger that would be easy to operate.

(Centre County)

For a left side charging handle you can go here: http://cljinnovations.com/

I have no association with them other than I have one on a 5.56 AR SBR that I use to show people how they work and handle. I found it at their booth at the Tulsa gun show a couple years ago.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Straight pull the Kali Key works pretty good and is really easy to convert. I thought about using my AR-10 this year for rifle with the Kali Key. What I found after some research is it's maybe legal. From what I understand the conversion has to be permanent. Unless I have a spare bolt, there is no way I could convert it back in the field. Is that permanent? Maybe. Also if you get stopped by a Game Warden that has no knowledge of how an AR functions they may take your gun. They would have to send it to the PASP lab to see if it is actually converted from a semi auto. Getting the results could take months. So best case they would look at your gun and say good to go. Worst case it goes to the police lab, sits there for months, they find the conversion "temporary" and you are screwed. I didn't want to take the chance. If it was a pump I think it may be easier to show the function and avoid having your gun taken.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    ...What I found after some research is it's maybe legal. From what I understand the conversion has to be permanent. Unless I have a spare bolt, there is no way I could convert it back in the field. Is that permanent? Maybe. Also if you get stopped by a Game Warden that has no knowledge of how an AR functions they may take your gun. They would have to send it to the PASP lab to see if it is actually converted from a semi auto. Getting the results could take months. So best case they would look at your gun and say good to go. Worst case it goes to the police lab, sits there for months, they find the conversion "temporary" and you are screwed. I didn't want to take the chance. If it was a pump I think it may be easier to show the function and avoid having your gun taken.
    Good point. If I would do this I would have a dedicated upper w/ no gas block (gas blocked off). This along the lack of a gas tube seems that it would be 'permanent'.

(Carbon County)

Years ago there were pump conversions available or people just made them. I did and never had extraction issues. The reason they are not popular is BECAUSE they are permanent. I carry a semi-auto to hunt in WV and lately have considered a "Fudd" gun for PA.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Years ago there were pump conversions available or people just made them. I did and never had extraction issues. The reason they are not popular is BECAUSE they are permanent. I carry a semi-auto to hunt in WV and lately have considered a "Fudd" gun for PA.
    Not permanent, just a dedicated upper.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    For a left side charging handle you can go here: http://cljinnovations.com/
    If I would go with a straight pull, I would probably want the handle on the right side. From a muscle memory perspective, it would be similar to operating a bolt action.