Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Was there a 3 day waiting period in PA at some time in the past?

A group of my friends and I had a conversation over lunch today. Some recall a 3 day waiting period in PA, others did not. I purchased my first gun in 1992 and don't recall the waiting period but that may be my memory fading. The question remains, was there a 3 day waiting period? If so, when did that stop? We theorized that it ended when the telephone call system went into place.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Was there a 3 day waiting period in PA at some time in the past?

Yes there was. Not sure when it ended. I also believe it ended when the insta check went into effect.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Berks County)

Absolutely was. '70's and I'm rather sure it went into the '80's. Don't remember when it changed cuz I couldn't afford many guns back then.

(Berks County)

That was also the era when one needed permission from the local authorities to carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    That was also the era when one needed permission from the local authorities to carry concealed.
    I like hearing stories like that. Shows that the 2nd has improved in some areas.

(Lehigh County)

There was for a period of time, with exceptions for holders of a LTCF. It was replaced by PICs. I never remember needing local approval for the LTCF, just the county sheriff, and I have had one since they days they were annual and made of flimsy paper which barely lasted the year in your wallet. If the county sheriff contacted the local PD, it was not something I was aware of.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Yes we did...Can't remember when It ended.. in through mid to late 80's maybe early 90's.. I remember having to send the paper work to the County Sheriff's office
    and if we heard nothing back in 3 days It was good to go.. Now most of the time that paper work didn't get mailed out till later in the day.. one maybe two days to get there??? didn't give much time to run background checks..

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    I believe that ended when PA went from May issue to Shall issue, whenever that might have been. When PA was still a May-issue state, I received my LTCF when I was in my early 20’s and had to get signed off by the local Chief. I think at the time there were only 3 of us in the whole township. I was able to get it because I carried large sums of cash (10’s of thousands of $) when the bricklayers union required our employees to be paid in cash.

(Bucks County)

I was the assigned in charge of investigating pistol permit applicants for my department and chief for 5 years in the early to mid 70s.
    Applicants applied through their resident police department, which investigated and reported to the chief, who in turn communicated the recommendation to the county sheriff, who in turn issued Pennsylvania state-generated form to carry.

The Brady Bill created the 3-day waiting period. However, the 3 day wait was not demanded if the purchaser had a LTCF.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

this is saying 5, which I kinda remember but don't ask what I did yesterday.

The Pennsylvania State Police implemented the
    Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) on July 1,
    1998. This state of the art system provides instant
    access to background records on an individual to
    determine if the person is eligible to purchase a firearm or acquire a license to carry a firearm.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Dealers and County Sheriffs
    access the PICS program through a toll free
    telephone number. If an individual is eligible to
    acquire a firearm, the PICS background check replaces the former, mandatory five-day waiting period.
    Operation has shown that approximately 60% of the
    individuals attempting to purchase a firearm can be
    approved instantly
    This is from Yinzer's state senator http://www.senatorfontana.com/wp-con...arms_in_PA.pdf

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast