Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Was there a 3 day waiting period in PA at some time in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Nobody mentioned the fun part. The 6"x5" , 4 part Application to Purchase Firearm you had to fill out prior , and the 4 part Record of Sale of a Firearm you filled out when you picked it up. 1 copy of each went to the buyers local PD , 1 to county sheriff , and 1 to PSP. Dealers kept 1 copy. Some dealers had 5pt forms and gave the customer a copy. Dealers were supposed to mail the forms the day they were filled out. Many dealers were rather lax on that. I got a few calls from LE , a few were too late as they already picked up the gun.
    I mentioned the record of sale card. Filled out enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Wasn't/Isn't drag racing a felony?
    I dont know

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I believe drag racing is still a summary offense so it shouldn't affect gun purchases.. However if it turns into a police pursuit that can turn into a felony.
    It was just drag racing. Back in the 70s.

(Allegheny County)

I would have expected more old guys chiming in on this one.

Maybe covid wiped them all out?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I would have expected more old guys chiming in on this one.

Maybe covid wiped them all out?
    We didn't want to relive those forgotten bad old days!

I'm probably gonna have flashback nightmares now!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

There was a waiting period of five days and the local police did the background check before the 1993 Brady Act. That changed it to three day waiting and shifted background checks to the County Sheriff. Then waiting periods were eliminated when Instant background checks were put into place. I purchased a pistol in 1984 to replace a Colt 70 series that I owned and bought in Virginia and the local police called me and told me that they were going hold the application indefinitely until I could prove I was never in California. I of course had never been to California and it was easy to prove because of my time in the service but that didn't satisfy the prick.

I contacted a lawyer friend of mine and he had it squared away in a day or so. Local police were going about their business of personal vendettas as per normal. My Brother and I because of high performance vehicles and motorcycles and were not generally appreciated by the Marple Township Police. They were also approving their friends, families and business partners that should never had been approved and the Brady Law changed all of that. Corruption didn't begin with democrats and Never Trumpers in 2020. When you have to ask the government for permission to exercise your rights is it really a right?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    It was just drag racing. Back in the 70s.
    In the 60s drag racing and DUI were misdemeanors that carried a max sentence of 3 years. When the 68 gun control act passed, it prohibited those convicted of these crimes by virtue of the question, "Were you ever convicted of a crime punishable by more that 1 year etc, etc. I believe the max sentences of both offenses were reduced sometime in the 70s or 80s.

Bob D

(Monroe County)

Didn't really pay attention to legal stuff back then but I did walk into a local gun shop owned by a local cop early 70's and walk out with 2 colt troopers. One for me and one for my Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    In the 60s drag racing and DUI were misdemeanors that carried a max sentence of 3 years. When the 68 gun control act passed, it prohibited those convicted of these crimes by virtue of the question, "Were you ever convicted of a crime punishable by more that 1 year etc, etc. I believe the max sentences of both offenses were reduced sometime in the 70s or 80s.

Bob D
    Thanks bob for the clarification.

(Berks County)

I had Ruger SBH ordered from the factory for a couple months. Was at a gun shop near where I was working, I stopped in often. Finally, FFL said it would be there that week. Told him I'll pick it up then. He said I could come in then, but could not take gun home until 3 days later. Unless I had a License To Carry. I was not planning on getting the LTCF because I was not planning on CC a 10 1/2" .44. I stopped by the court house on my way home and filled out the application. Got a call 45 mins later to go get it. It was signed by police chief Dalton. There was no picture then and it was for "various weapons" for "self protection".
    That was 5/3/96 in Doylestown, Bucks County. I folded it with the info on the outside so it would fit in my wallet and laminated it. Still have it. Was #034170. I assume that was statewide. (?)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast