Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: Was there a 3 day waiting period in PA at some time in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    To add to it in the 80s you had to have at least one LEO as a reference to get a LTCF . The cops I asked to sign at the time said no, and I remember one in particular who went into a rant about only cops and military should own guns, period . I dont remember when this requirement changed , I half think someone challenged it in court . Anyone remember ??
    That was never a state requirement. The local sheriff could have required it. Before PA became shall issue the county sheriff had free reign over the application process. Some wouldn't get to the application part because they were told NO when they asked the Sheriff if the could apply for a LTCF, or were referred to the treasurer's office for a sportsman's permit.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    That was never a state requirement. The local sheriff could have required it. Before PA became shall issue the county sheriff had free reign over the application process. Some wouldn't get to the application part because they were told NO when they asked the Sheriff if the could apply for a LTCF, or were referred to the treasurer's office for a sportsman's permit.
    That makes sense, but I remember the app. having a spot for an LEO to be one of your references. Was the app. made up by the county possibly .?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't remember the waiting period but must have endured it.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I didn't remember the waiting period but must have endured it.
    Of all the things I*ve lost, I miss my mind the most.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Remember buying my first pistol, producing my LTCF, filled out some paper work and walked away with it as soon as I paid.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Monroe County)

Still is for marrage.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Nobody mentioned the fun part. The 6"x5" , 4 part Application to Purchase Firearm you had to fill out prior , and the 4 part Record of Sale of a Firearm you filled out when you picked it up. 1 copy of each went to the buyers local PD , 1 to county sheriff , and 1 to PSP. Dealers kept 1 copy. Some dealers had 5pt forms and gave the customer a copy. Dealers were supposed to mail the forms the day they were filled out. Many dealers were rather lax on that. I got a few calls from LE , a few were too late as they already picked up the gun.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I knew a guy that was prohibited from owning firearms due to drag racing. Is that law still on the books?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I knew a guy that was prohibited from owning firearms due to drag racing. Is that law still on the books?
    Wasn't/Isn't drag racing a felony?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I believe drag racing is still a summary offense so it shouldn't affect gun purchases.. However if it turns into a police pursuit that can turn into a felony.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast