Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Was there a 3 day waiting period in PA at some time in the past?

I don't ever remember a 5 day waiting period in PA. We had a three day waiting period that went up through the late 80's.

(Columbia County)

No; PA never officially had a 3 day waiting period. It had a 48 hour waiting period for handgun sales. Actually it is still in the crimes code However Gun shops took it upon themselves to wait three days.

6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.

(a) Time and manner of delivery.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), no seller shall deliver a firearm to the purchaser or transferee thereof until 48 hours shall have elapsed from the time of the application for the purchase thereof, and, when delivered, the firearm shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded.

(2) Thirty days after publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin that the Instantaneous Criminal History Records Check System has been established in accordance with the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Public Law 103-159, 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.), no seller shall deliver a firearm to the purchaser thereof until the provisions of this section have been satisfied, and, when delivered, the firearm shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...n=11&subsctn=0

When the Brady law passed it change to 5 days. However that expired after one year where an instantaneous check system had to be set up. Right after the Brady law passed it was a mess unless you had a LTCF. If the buyer didn't have a carry license, the shop had to send notification to the sheriff that covers the buyer's home county and wait 5 business days. So mostly it was 7 days. Once the PICs was set up that eliminated both waiting periods.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    I believe that ended when PA went from May issue to Shall issue, whenever that might have been. When PA was still a May-issue state, I received my LTCF when I was in my early 20’s and had to get signed off by the local Chief. I think at the time there were only 3 of us in the whole township. I was able to get it because I carried large sums of cash (10’s of thousands of $) when the bricklayers union required our employees to be paid in cash.

A kind of (now) amusing tie-in from when I got the LTCF with no problem or questions. About 4 years later I got my FFL. When I applied to the county for the license to sell hand guns, I got a call from a Deputy who said:” I see you spent some time with the County”. I said it was for under-age drinking when I was 18. He said that’s what he shows but he had to ask. I received my license. It just seemed odd that I got my LTCF without question but a red flag went up in order to sell guns. Perhaps someone simply dropped the ball for the LTCF.

Backstory: I was 18 and got nailed for under-age drinking. While normally it was just a fine, I got a bit cocky with the District Justice and in addition to the fine I was also rewarded with room and board for 3 days, courtesy of the people of Lancaster County. I was drunk and the DJ had been roused out of bed and was sitting there in his pajamas, thus he wasn’t in any mood for my beer induced bullshit.

BTW – I learned my lesson and will never get cocky with a Judge again. LOL

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Yes we did...Can't remember when It ended.. in through mid to late 80's maybe early 90's.. I remember having to send the paper work to the County Sheriff's office
    and if we heard nothing back in 3 days It was good to go.. Now most of the time that paper work didn't get mailed out till later in the day.. one maybe two days to get there??? didn't give much time to run background checks..
    It ended in the early 90's, I bought a handgun when I came back from Desert Storm in May 1991 and had the waiting period. I also remember my Dad having to put each handgun he wanted to carry on the back of his LTCF.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Mifflin County)

To add to it in the 80s you had to have at least one LEO as a reference to get a LTCF . The cops I asked to sign at the time said no, and I remember one in particular who went into a rant about only cops and military should own guns, period . I dont remember when this requirement changed , I half think someone challenged it in court . Anyone remember ??

(Berks County)

When I bought my P7 in *94 I had to go back for it but I don*t recall how long I had to wait. I believe that they notified the chief of police for my area and he had to reply to prevent the purchase so I*m thinking 7 days.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Monroe County)

I moved up here back in spring 1994 and there was a 5 day waiting period. That would allow enough time for the Sheriff to receive and run the little record of sale card. If you had a LTCF you did not have to wait. Pics replaced the 5 day wait.

(Berks County)

This is enlightening to me. I received my DD214 in '72 and remember jumping through hoops. Didn't realize that it lasted that long time wise.

Just starting life and having kids back then I wasn't buying guns and ammo.

I do remember getting permission from the Chief of Police in Reading and the Chief of Police in Muhlenberg township back in the olden days.

ETA too many guns and too much ammo.

(Lancaster County)

3 day waiting period? But I'm angry now.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Bought my first handgun in 1985 while still in the academy. A S&W Model 66 from Delia*s on Torresdale Avenue. Had to wait a few days before I could pick it up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast