Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

Quote Originally Posted by OwenP View Post
    Does anyone have a solid Walkie talke they recommend for this?
    The tool depends on the use. are you talking a "walkie" for FRS? I like the Midlands, Walmart has a good solid bubble pack for $70 I'd recommend, for MURS? several good quality Commercial radios (Motorola, Kenwood, etc), for HAM everyone has a favorite, it's like asking for recommendation of 9 or .45. To be able to assist with your question, there's a lot more information needed.

(Lebanon County)

If anyone is interested in expanding their horizons in radio communication even if its just for preparedness the HRAC Frirecracker Hamfest and ARRL State Convention is this weekend in Harrisburg, PA.

There should be a large radio and electronics flea market to pick up items at reasonable prices. There will also be public speakers as well as vendors. I plan on being there in the morning with my son and dad for a few hours to look around and chat with vendors. We'll possibly be purchasing a UHF repeater for a family GMRS project.

http://www.w3uu.org/firecracker-hamf...te-convention/

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    If anyone is interested in expanding their horizons in radio communication even if its just for preparedness the HRAC Frirecracker Hamfest and ARRL State Convention is this weekend in Harrisburg, PA.

There should be a large radio and electronics flea market to pick up items at reasonable prices. There will also be public speakers as well as vendors. I plan on being there in the morning with my son and dad for a few hours to look around and chat with vendors. We'll possibly be purchasing a UHF repeater for a family GMRS project.

Great point, unfortunately I won't be able to get there till Midmorning at the earliest, I'll be supporting the Ephrata Firecracker Run (a great Comms skills practice).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post

I plan on being there. I'm not looking for major equipment, just some do-dads that you don't see every day in HRO and such plus stuff I didn't know I needed.

If anyone here is going and wants to meet, PM me and we'll figure it out.

For Bellerophon, if you don't find the repeater you're looking for, I have friends who may be able to help.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    I plan on being there. I'm not looking for major equipment, just some do-dads that you don't see every day in HRO and such plus stuff I didn't know I needed.

If anyone here is going and wants to meet, PM me and we'll figure it out.

For Bellerophon, if you don't find the repeater you're looking for, I have friends who may be able to help.
    Missed the post here before we left this morning. I made it with my dad and my kid - He was the one waking around in the coyote tan bag and Yaesu hat he got for free.

Didn*t find a UHF repeater. I missed a deal on a homebrew antenna tuner - made an offer while the other guy was holding it and missed out. I did however get a sweet deal on an Icom IC-R2 Communications Receiver - I was looking for a similar item for a while to add to the emergency bag in place of the analog scanner.

Overall this was an excellent Hamfest. Not quite what they used to be but as far as the flea market there was something for everyone and it was worth the 45 minute trip.

(York County)

It’s been a while. I’m glad this thread caught on, at least for a while. I have enjoyed checking in and reading all the responses. I’d like to add a few points…

1. VHF and UHF, while lots of fun and great for local use, are very limited distance-wise. Sure, right now there are computer linked nodes and such which will allow long distance, but if being preparedness-minded it will be very “local” if the SHTF. The longer wavelengths of HF is what you will need to know what’s happening abroad.

2. The newest solar cycle has really wound up propagation, and those who are only set up for CB probably notice how even that band can allow foreign contacts, but also the level of idiocy that happens on that band. Noise makers, intentional interference, and the guys who feel it’s all about competition so they expose themselves to crazy levels of poisonous RF just to “out talk” the other guy. If you’re weary of all that, I can’t suggest strongly enough to get licensed. Info in the OP.

3. Digital modes like FT8, Ft4, etc are great for bolstering the contact logs, but probably wont be too useful in SHTF situations either, because they don’t allow conversation, just contact info and who is going to power up a computer to talk radio when running on battery or solar power anyway?

4. I would still like to try to set up an 80M net for those who are General Class or higher, and anyone else is welcome to listen in. Problem is the last wind storm took out my 80M & 160M antennas so I have to put another up. That should be soon. I can do 40M now, but that band is certainly a busy one and 80M would be better for full coverage in PA so stay tuned on the antenna project.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    4. I would still like to try to set up an 80M net for those who are General Class or higher, and anyone else is welcome to listen in. Problem is the last wind storm took out my 80M & 160M antennas so I have to put another up. That should be soon. I can do 40M now, but that band is certainly a busy one and 80M would be better for full coverage in PA so stay tuned on the antenna project.
    You know what they say, it's not a good, long lasting antenna unless it's put up in bad weather.

Another thing you may want to practice with is Packet modes. Yea I know most will not have computers in SHTF, but there WILL be enough Laptops that it can be use to a degree of success, for some period of time.

(York County)

It*s been a while. I*m glad this thread caught on, at least for a while. I have enjoyed checking in and reading all the responses. I*d like to add a few points*

1. VHF and UHF, while lots of fun and great for local use, are very limited distance-wise. Sure, right now there are computer linked nodes and such which will allow long distance, but if being preparedness-minded it will be very *local* if the SHTF. The longer wavelengths of HF is what you will need to know what*s happening abroad.
    Many hams regularly get thousands of miles from VHF and UHF if you point it in the right direction--up for satellite operation.
    2. The newest solar cycle has really wound up propagation, and those who are only set up for CB probably notice how even that band can allow foreign contacts, but also the level of idiocy that happens on that band. Noise makers, intentional interference, and the guys who feel it*s all about competition so they expose themselves to crazy levels of poisonous RF just to *out talk* the other guy. If you*re weary of all that, I can*t suggest strongly enough to get licensed. Info in the OP.

3. Digital modes like FT8, Ft4, etc are great for bolstering the contact logs, but probably wont be too useful in SHTF situations either, because they don*t allow conversation, just contact info and who is going to power up a computer to talk radio when running on battery or solar power anyway?
    JS8Call does allow for conversations. In poor band conditions I regularly get heart beat reports from 1/2 around the world. You can store-and-forward messages on other stations. You can relay through other stations to get to someone you can't reach directly.
    You do need a computer but there's a few RaspberryPi projects, which are lower power, that can do JS8Call as well. If you have a smaller laptop you might be able to charge it from solar or a car lighter port. Again, with the store and forward capabilities you don't need to be on all the time. So you can get or send messages when you do have enough power.
    I would love to figure out how to do a regional network of 2M JS8Call stations always on. At 2M you can do higher bandwidth.

I would love to participate in a more regional prepper type net. Maybe a simple check in and then someone share important news, like train derailments, etc.

(York County)

gamer_jim and the shadow: I get that digital has other modes, but the tread was really started with sustainable, simple communication if things go awry. HF can be done with simplicity, including the antenna.

The end fed will have pulleys and counterweights this time. Looking forward to 80M and also 160 again. In the meantime anyone wants to get a rag chew session going on on 40M send me a PM. Or post it here. PAFOA QSO PARTY!!!

(Allegheny County)

I like the idea of a "PAFOA QSO Party". I'm sure I'd find the ragchews enjoyable.
    de WO2C
    The Bosun

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast