Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
A few of us across the state have been able to chat on 80 when it's right. It's iffy when the band goes long at night. I haven't done well with the guys across the state on 40M.

VHF FM and digital repeater networks work when the internet works, but I would not hang my hat on that. I would not even rely on a local repeater. In a SHTF scenario, you rely on what YOU have and and look for other like minded people out there within simplex range. In this state, I consider 80M SSB and 2M FM to be the minimum capabilities for intrastate comms. 2M simplex might get you to someone who can relay if needed.
you took the words out of my mouth. Another issue, many Hams (including and especially Extras) have never operated outside of a shack, all their equipment and antennas are bought not made, and they don't know how to maintain them, including basic fixes. Field comms for them is annual field day, where the county EMA trailer is brought out, a few people will try go kits but mostly prefabbed, then "how many points can we get".

Lancaster and Lebanon Sky Warn team has been running simplex tests in case the primary repeater that is linked to State College goes down, Their Net Control folks have Lancaster broke down to 4 regions (N,S,E,W) very organized and has helped many people in the surrounding counties (York, Dauphin, Chester, Berks) to calibrate their home and mobile stations for simplex operations as well as identifying comms holes.