Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

While there are in fact clubs, transmitting illegally (it*s not just a rule, being licensed is law) on the actual amateur bands without a callsign and eventually some zealot will hear you and have a problem with it. The FCC enforcement generally relies on amatuers to self-police and there are many with locating equipment. Big fines are feasible and are levied to many people annually. Will you get caught? Probably not unless you interfere with an amatuer or some type of essential services.

Im just making you aware of the potential consequence. Not judging or telling you what to do. Now if society goes to hell in a handbasket, they*ll be many unlicensed people on everywhere.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Fair enough.... I have the time and means, so why not engage properly.

Some of the things you guys said made me self-check and realise my attitude on the radio was even against my own mantras. Sometimes we gotta self-apply the brakes!

cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    While there are in fact clubs, transmitting illegally (it*s not just a rule, being licensed is law) on the actual amateur bands without a callsign and eventually some zealot will hear you and have a problem with it. The FCC enforcement generally relies on amatuers to self-police and there are many with locating equipment. Big fines are feasible and are levied to many people annually. Will you get caught? Probably not unless you interfere with an amatuer or some type of essential services.

Im just making you aware of the potential consequence. Not judging or telling you what to do. Now if society goes to hell in a handbasket, they*ll be many unlicensed people on everywhere.

Yeah, I think you're right, TC.... Upon looking into it, why not do it right? It's not that involved.

I'll spend my time researching and come back when all setup to pick Yinz brains further...
    F*S=k

(York County)

Yeah, I think you're right, TC.... Upon looking into it, why not do it right? It's not that involved.

I'll spend my time researching and come back when all setup to pick Yinz brains further...
    I can*t recommend the book *How to get your amateur radio technician license the easy way* by Craig Buck. He makes one for each level of licensing. Makes quick work of studying.

(Berks County)

I used hamstudy.org to get my technician's license. I don't know anything but I was the first one done the test in my group and only got one wrong.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I used hamstudy.org to get my technician's license. I don't know anything but I was the first one done the test in my group and only got one wrong.
    I send a lot of people that route, it's very helpful and successful.

(Philadelphia County)

You're right, it's really not that difficult to pick up. Every pursuit has it's technical aspects, just have to learn them.
    The books mentioned are a good start. Also you can go here: http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training and their Technicians Manual is very good.

There are practice test available to see how you are progressing. https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

Also, use the above ARRL link to find clubs and test sessions near you.

Any of the hams on this board will assist you.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Any of the hams on this board will assist you.
    Spot on, one of the nice things about the community. One other thing I'd like to point out, you will have to learn a LOT of stuff to pass the test, most of it will not be used after the test (there are apps for that), don't be afraid of "memorizing the test", the real learning starts after you get the license and start using the tools.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, guys... I like it when we actually engage in open discourse and I can learn something!

ordering the books use off of ebay and will buy the right radios, instead of the cheap ones....
    F*S=k

(Lebanon County)

Thanks, guys... I like it when we actually engage in open discourse and I can learn something!

ordering the books use off of ebay and will buy the right radios, instead of the cheap ones....
    And this is what integrity looks like. An honest disagreement, followed by open and honest discussion, no name calling, no personal attacks, just talk, and one side changed their mind and admitts it. Even had the opinion not changed, I think the discussion itself says a lot about both sides the issue, so thank you for a bit of light in my dimming view of the American population.

(Philadelphia County)

I will offer one word of warning though.

Amateur radio is like the shooting sports in one respect. Equipment does tend to accumulate. You start with one pistol/radio, then before you know it there's a whole safe/cabinet/drawer/rack full of them. All for the same reason, I don't have that caliber/band yet, I could use this one for hiking, oh that looks interesting, something different.

I guess it's really no different than golf, photography, model trains, knives, coin collecting, stamps .....
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast