Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

One great place for coax is https://usacoax.com. I've used DX Engineering and USA Coax in the past. They both ship really fast and USA Coax is generally cheaper. For my first 2m antenna I built a J-Pole out of 1/2" copper tubing, one elbow fitting, one T fitting, two end caps and a 239 connector on Amazon. The tubing I had in the garage, and Home Depot for the copper fittings. It was a lot of fun and performs really well. They are really easy to hide if you are in an HOA. Search the internet for J-Pole plans and also ways to hide them in things like a planter, etc. I've seen people clamp them on a porch railing when they are using the radio and take it down when they are done. It might be a good interim step before you go through the work of putting the antenna up in the attic.

I definitely recommend building whatever you decide. It's a cool project and you learn a lot. Plus it is way, way cheaper.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    One great place for coax is https://usacoax.com. I've used DX Engineering and USA Coax in the past. They both ship really fast and USA Coax is generally cheaper. For my first 2m antenna I built a J-Pole out of 1/2" copper tubing, one elbow fitting, one T fitting, two end caps and a 239 connector on Amazon. The tubing I had in the garage, and Home Depot for the copper fittings. It was a lot of fun and performs really well. They are really easy to hide if you are in an HOA. Search the internet for J-Pole plans and also ways to hide them in things like a planter, etc. I've seen people clamp them on a porch railing when they are using the radio and take it down when they are done. It might be a good interim step before you go through the work of putting the antenna up in the attic.

I definitely recommend building whatever you decide. It's a cool project and you learn a lot. Plus it is way, way cheaper.
    Good advice. I'll have to try a j pole someday. Thanks for the coax link.

(Philadelphia County)

Skip the J-Pole, they are not really that good. If you want a cheap antenna, you can make a 2M ground-plane from an SO-239 chassis socket and about 8' of solid wire.
    http://ccarc.org/_misc/so-239_ant.html Don't let the chart confuse you, cut it for 146M, or just use 19.25" for everything. It will work.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Glad to hear you're getting things going. Do you have to run the cable without fittings because of space? I bought some rg8x with 259 connectors from Amazon for mine. Not the best but works. I just drilled 7/8" hole in wall top plate so fitting goes through.
    I was reading this site about type of cable to choose based on the length. Any merit to it? Seems based on the run i'm doing from my attic to my basement, the rg8u would be a better choice to account for loss?
    https://hamradioschool.com/coaxial-cable-use/
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

How long is the run? You definitely have to run without fittings? The rg8x I used was 25 ft so within the limits set by the article. My antenna is actually only about 10 feet from my wall junction. If not much cost difference I'd go with the recommendation. What do you have for a power supply?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    How long is the run? You definitely have to run without fittings? The rg8x I used was 25 ft so within the limits set by the article. My antenna is actually only about 10 feet from my wall junction. If not much cost difference I'd go with the recommendation. What do you have for a power supply?
    So we have a 2 story house, with a basement and attic. Each level is 8ft floor to ceiling. Once in the attic, I'll need about another 10-15ft (depending on where i mount the antenna vs where the run downstairs goes), and same in the basement. Probably 40ft-50ft without doing some real measuring.

I actually found the same power supply you posted too, so I picked that up.
    -Brandon

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for this. I've had my technician license for quite a while now but just never really went farther. Feels important now to get some type of backup communication setup, and just having another hobby would be nice as a distraction. I need to get a basic home base station setup first, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
    As with everything in life the answer is: what do you want to do?

If you just have tech then I would invest in a good VHF/UHF setup.

I highly recommend an Ed Fong antenna, the DBJ-1 in the 250 watt version. The key to antennas is placement. Get it up as high as you can, preferable above the roof line. Mine is on my chimney and I can hit repeaters 60 miles away with my 75 watt Yaesu 2900.

Then get a nice mobile rig you can use from home. I have a 2M Yaesu 2900 but if you don't plan on going on to your general class license then spend a little money and get a dual bad. I also recommend something with digital mode. I have an ICOM 5100 in my car and love it.

With a good antenna placed up high, and a decent radio you can participate in a lot of amateur radio in this area without ever needing an HF rig.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    So we have a 2 story house, with a basement and attic. Each level is 8ft floor to ceiling. Once in the attic, I'll need about another 10-15ft (depending on where i mount the antenna vs where the run downstairs goes), and same in the basement. Probably 40ft-50ft without doing some real measuring.

I actually found the same power supply you posted too, so I picked that up.
    So far that's been a good power supply for me..

Just a quick look on dx engineering, rg8x is .39 per foot. Rg8u is.89 per foot. They do have crimp on 259 connectors. A little pricey when you factor in the tool needed..

There are clamp on bnc connectors, you just need to make one solder connection and use a couple wrenches. I use bnc stuff for all of my connections. Then the radio is 259 to bnc jumper at the wall connection.

I guess if I were trying to put this together as you are now, I'd see if I can get cable with connectors pre installed through the walls. That's the easiest. If not I'd get 75 ft of bulk rg8u and find some connectors, I'd go bnc but 239/259 is fine. I would do solder/clamp so I don't need a $60 crimp tool if I'm not going to do it again.

(Allegheny County)

This is the wall connection I made. I used bnc bulkhead fittings and a blank dual gang cover. You could use 239/259 bulkhead fittings if that's the preference.

This is the ground plane I made. It's a so239 chassis mount and 5 pieces of silicon bronze welding rod that I had. Can be copper wire stripped from romex. Too easy to not build it. It's hot glued to a 1" pvc pipe that's clamped to a joist in attic. When the weather breaks I may move it out to the eave of the roof.

(Berks County)

I'm lost in a sea of information here. How far will that little antenna get you? Can I build one of those in my attic and feed it from my handheld in my living room? It's only about 10' straight up.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast