Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(York County)

Default Radio communication as part of preparedness

About 7 years ago, four friends of mine and I decided to get CB base stations set up at our homes as a means of communication if things went to hell in a handbasket. We figured we were all within range for CB communication, and it seemed relatively inexpensive to venture into. As we all got our setups up and running, some quickly realized that their "easy" antenna setups were woefully inadequate for CB radio's limited power. We installed better antennas and the 5 of us has comms. a 12V battery and a power supply to charge it meant temporary (several hours with limited transmitting) comms during power outages. A small solar panel made it more long term.

We talked once or twice a month, but interest faded for most. All of theirs are in place, if needed, but I am the only one that still has an active station. As a matter of fact, I was kind of bit by the bug. I experimented with different antennas, radios, modes. Eventually that evolved into obtaining my amateur radio license. Then I upgraded the license, then upgraded again to amateur extra (highest obtainable). Now I have the capability with the equipment I have and the antennas I built to talk all over the world, and it has been a lot of fun getting to this point. I enjoy talking to locals and also to "DX" (foreign countries).

The point of all the above is to establish that while I am still new compared to many long operating radio folks, I have done much trial and error and would like to offer the following very basic advice to anyone considering radio comms as part of their SHTF plan:

1. CB can be done on the cheap, and done this way you will be able to talk 5-20 miles or so locally. Occasionally, atmospheric conditions will allow your signal to "skip" through the sky and long distance contacts will be possible. This setup will be good for those wanting to keep up with local happenings if there are others on CB in your area. Obviously if you're the only one around, your station will be useless unless "skip" opens up, and then you may or may not have others in your receive, and it may be very sporadic. in this area (South Central PA) there are many CB users. You'll have to get one on the air to find out about your area. Some areas have dozens of users, some have none.

2. CB can be done with a modest investment, with a good base antenna at good height. A quality radio with Sideband (SSB) instead of just AM mode will allow you to talk much further (40 miles+). A linear amplifier, which is illegal, can give you even more range (100 miles) if your antenna is very good. I am not going to get into CB amps. As stated they are illegal, and while the FCC doesn't seem overly concerned about them, one could feasibly get you into trouble if you interfere with amateur bands of emergency services. The FCC won't hesitate to intervene at that point and while sometimes they give a warning first, their fines are very substantial. Also, with SHTF situation being considered, you may not have enough power to run one. Food for thought.

3. An amateur radio (or just a shortwave radio receiver) and a fairly simple indoor or outdoor wire antenna can get you "ears" that can listen all over the world. Just listening, they draw very little power. This is a great option for those who want to hear global radio and hear amateurs talking, but don't want to get licensed to transmit. If the SHTF, rules will be out the window and at that point there will be many transmitting without a license (makes me cringe, but I would do same in that situation). Ham radios can be had for a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. If you're just listening, an old sideband rig with most of the bands can be had for cheap. If you don't plan on transmitting, you can buy one that the transmitter is toast in for next to nothing.

4. Getting licensed opens up a lot of options. I'd recommend getting a tech license then upgrading soon to General (much of the info from the first level is on the second exam). There are some excellent recourses for those who have even little to no knowledge of radio to help pass the exam(s). Books by Craig Buck are awesome and there are several online resources including practice tests. When (not if) you completely bomb the first practice test, don't be discouraged. Most of us were right there where you are.

I firmly believe that in our time there's conservative news, and there's liberal news. There is no unbiased news. Radio allows you to talk all over the nation, and all over the world, to others. There's no fact checking or facebook jail. If the SHTF I do NOT want to rely on public broadcasts to be informed. Radio has many benefits and I realize this has been a very vague writeup but I wanted to start a thread that helps those wishing to dive into it for emergency comms or those to improve theirs to do so. It is also a very enjoyable hobby, to which I have talked to every US state and 140+ different countries.

I didn't get into setting up a mobile CB or amateur setup, which is another viable option. Maybe this thread will catch on and that will be discussed. I have mine set up for CB and 10 meter use.

So what is your radio setup? Here's mine:
    Antennas:
    Imax 2000 about 79' to the tip in a tree in my backyard. Works 10 meters to 15 meters and works them well. Also my go-to for the CB band.
    End fed 260' horizontal wire. 55' in height. Works 160M, 80M, ad 40M.
    40 Meter horizontal loop, 45-55' in height. Works 6 Meters thru 40 meters with no tuning needed on 40, 20, and 10 meters.
    92' inverted vee dipole 80-6M 65' at apex.
    Diamond F-22A 2 meter vertical
    Radios:
    Yaesu FTDX-10 100 watts 160-6M
    Yaesu FT-2980 80 watts 2 meters FM only
    Magnum 1 10M, 11M, 12M
    Uniden Bearcat 980SSB - CB with single sideband operation.
    I also have a 600W base amp for the amateur bands

So those who are on the air, CB'er, HAM, or just a shortwave listener... what is your setup?
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; February 8th, 2023 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added info