Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

I've often been interested, and am fairly tech savvy. However, all my experience in radio signal has been involving cellular networks. What do I need to get started?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    Wednesday evenings at, say... 7PM???

How many can operate on 80 Meters?
    Wednesdays at 7 PM would work for me, TC; 80 meters is no problem.

The Bosun

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlG View Post
    I've often been interested, and am fairly tech savvy. However, all my experience in radio signal has been involving cellular networks. What do I need to get started?
    Well if you understand radio theory should be easy to get your Tech license. I teach people that it is twice as important to listen as it is to talk. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the ham situation in Altoona, but I'm sure one of the other members may be able to hook you up with a club and or an Elmer 9what hams call mentors). in the mean time, you can use the online resources to study for your exam, hamtestonline.com has very good results.

As an FYI I would recommend those on the fence for getting a license and upgrading to do it sooner than later, we were able to talk the FCC off the ledge so price upgrades will not be $55 for new, upgrades and renew, however it WILL move from $15 for new to $35 for new and upgrades at a future point.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    Wednesday evenings at, say... 7PM???

How many can operate on 80 Meters?
    Happy to get on a net but 40m is the lowest I can go. I can get 80m in an emergency with a temporary antenna, but my efhw is tuned for 40.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Well, I see you're in Lancaster county, that's very helpful for me, since I know the HAM scene there. We hold several weekend boot camps in that area every year. the LVSRA is in the process of setting one up and I can post the class info if you're interested (classes are free, but you may have to pay for the test, depending on who the VE team is). Depending on where in Lancaster, there are several good clubs who are very active that will help you to learn.

That said, to go direct on your question, I generally refer people to http://hamtestonline.com yes it has a small cost but offers a guarantee pass, this is free http://www.hamwhisperer.com/p/ham-courses.html this is another good one https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ If you have a smart phone or tablet, either Apple or Android, there are study guides there as well, that's how I upgraded to General.

when you feel comfortable to take the test, LVSRA tests every month at Heisiey's Diner (on Rt 72 North of Lebanon City) 3d Saturday of the month, test starts around 0730hrs runs till after 9 or so, stick around for breakfast, they're a good crew (they are working on how to deal with the current Governor's mandate). Other VE teams in Lancaster and York test every other month, so when you're ready let me know and I can find a test location close to you.

for a faster response president@lvsra.org is very quick to respond and can give you meat space face to face if you desire.
    Just wanted to say thanks again Shadow, I passed my tech exam today with help from Ham Test Online per your recommendation.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac1279 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks again Shadow, I passed my tech exam today with help from Ham Test Online per your recommendation.
    Congrats!

(Butler County)

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for this. I've had my technician license for quite a while now but just never really went farther. Feels important now to get some type of backup communication setup, and just having another hobby would be nice as a distraction. I need to get a basic home base station setup first, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

Just got a new hf radio. I'm now good for 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, and 2 meters. Can also do digital with my handheld and Hotspot.

I'll be listing my old hf radio soon. It is a great radio, but it's an old tube hybrid.

Just to note, callsign on radio isnt mine, it's the identifier of a local repeater.
    Last edited by Hoppy; January 11th, 2021 at 12:24 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

Just got a new hf radio. I'm now good for 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, and 2 meters. Can also do digital with my handheld and Hotspot.

I'll be listing my old hf radio soon. It is a great radio, but it's an old tube hybrid.

Just to note, callsign on radio isnt mine, it's the identifier of a local repeater.
    Congrats on the new rig.

There's nothing wrong with the hybrids. My TS-830S is a great radio with a hot receiver. There is a stable market for the old Kenwoods. Working ones will be worth a few hundred dollars forever. https://kenwood-hybrids.groups.io/g/main
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, yes you're right is a great radio. It just takes a little bit more to dive into and use than something solid state I didn't mind tuning the finals but some people do. Still contemplating keeping it but should probably let it go.

That kenwood group actually helped me a great deal when I had trouble getting it to tune up when I first got it. I got the alc back up and also had to replace the band switch

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast