Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

Great responses thus far. Looking into times and freq's for best all-over PA coverage for a net or "on air meet and greet".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    Thank you, Shadow. I'll take some initiative here and propose 7.185MHz (allows for General and Advanced classes to join us), LSB +/- QRM tomorrow evening; Tuesday, December 29th, 1900 Local/2400 GMT. I'll be listening/calling for 15-30 minutes and hope to make contact with some of you then.

Who knows? With enough interest, this could turn into a regularly scheduled net. Also, I'm good on QRZ.com should anyone want to contact me via email.

Ray, WO2C
    7.185 has nightly nets from the NATA and OMISS groups around that time. 40M might be a little long to cover the whole commonwealth, but may be the best choice if many are not set up for 80M or 160M NVIS

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    What's missing? Digital modes. While I have nothing against the digital modes, they've never interested me enough to interface my computer with the radio equipment. 'Perhaps eventually.
    I like the FT8 when I want to get on the radio but not talk. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but I have a bit of a bad case of mic-fright. I also enjoy seeing the instant feedback on pskreporter.info where my signal is being recieved.

Regarding digital modes and emergency preparedness, lots of disaster relief services use digital modes now. I remember reading an article about how this one group uses PSK31 for scheduled bulletins while they are operating. The reason being is that it's a perfect copy of the data and they don't have to worry about human transcription errors. Also I'm reading how more groups are using digital voice modes especially for things like search and rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    Great responses thus far. Looking into times and freq's for best all-over PA coverage for a net or "on air meet and greet".
    We should schedule a weekly net. I wonder if we could do that over the *The Wide Area Network Repeater System*? Would we need permission or coordinate schedule with the admin at least?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    I like the FT8 when I want to get on the radio but not talk. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but I have a bit of a bad case of mic-fright. I also enjoy seeing the instant feedback on pskreporter.info where my signal is being recieved.

Regarding digital modes and emergency preparedness, lots of disaster relief services use digital modes now. I remember reading an article about how this one group uses PSK31 for scheduled bulletins while they are operating. The reason being is that it's a perfect copy of the data and they don't have to worry about human transcription errors. Also I'm reading how more groups are using digital voice modes especially for things like search and rescue.

We should schedule a weekly net. I wonder if we could do that over the *The Wide Area Network Repeater System*? Would we need permission or coordinate schedule with the admin at least?
    Using a wide network repeater would help for techs and people with HT.

(Allegheny County)

It's encouraging to read so many replies.

I'm in favor of whatever band/mode enables the most forum members. Wide-area repeaters (with the trustee's/owner's permission, of course) or MF/HF SSB would be good for me. FWIW, I'm a member of PEMA's Auxiliary Communications Program (https://www.pema.pa.gov/Response/Aux...s/default.aspx) and have found that we have good state-wide coverage on 75 Meters during the evening hours. The downside, of course, is that Technician class amateurs and those lacking the real estate to erect an 80 Meter dipole would be excluded.

Regardless of where in the spectrum we decide to meet, I think a regularly scheduled net would be fun and informative.

The Bosun

(Lebanon County)

I started this thread with the intent to encourage people to think about their communications part of the "Shoot, move and communicate" triangle, as most people totally overlook it. I am super stoked on the turn it's taken bringing together many already licensed who are willing to help the newcomers.

I want to address the comment about Search and Rescue (SAR) turning to digital. One of the largest and oldest SAR teams in Central PA (Middle Creek Search and Rescue, MIDSAR, Station 94 out of Lancaster) was founded by hams, 66% of the team is licensed and they rely on it as there are many places that still don't have cell coverage, and the county P25 is spotty at best. Add in covering 7 counties, the only way to use a county radio would be interops or push the price up for programming and getting the radioes accepted on multiple county systems, not practical when there is no local, state or federal funds to be had. There are some teams on the PA SAR Council who are moving to what was the old Nextel push to talk subscription service (now proprietary Motorola offering). they are reporting decent coverage, and work well for "I'm a dog handler not a radio person" who wants to turn it on and go, this is also a $20 per radio per month cost on the radio owner. DMR is extremely poor for this environment in Central PA, not just for the fact the radio needs to be programmed prior to response to the area (you're not reprogramming on scene) the DMR coverage is not as robust or flexible as good old fashioned analog radio. While Digital simplex offers better voice quality, once you get to the end of the string, there's no partial transmissions to be heard. SAR in the Commonwealth is still the "Wild Wild west" where as you can't go out buy an F250 and a couple of Indian tanks and call yourself a Brush crew, anyone can buy a dog and call themselves a search team (yes it happens often). Communications is often an after thought to many of these teams, and "search management" is just theory to them. From comments I've received MIDSAR is the only one that has consistent reliable communications, as they not only encourage the HAM angle, they train with it, and it's built into every training event, even if impromptu. So while Digital may be good for places where SAR is part of the Sheriff's department, like out west, or coordinated at the state level (Virginia, Florida come to mind), the lack of standardization and flexibility in coverage will be the detriment of it being adopted here.

(Monroe County)

I use a RCI Ranger 2970N4 and DX models. Also A President Lincoln unlocked. Stay in the 10/11 meters. If its a SHTF situation, I figure best to listen on the 1-40 and have a side channel for private convo.

Once cell phones go out, everyone will be keying up.

(Allegheny County)

Good evening, All.
    Let's go forward with this. HF, VHF, whatever. In light of recent events and the state of our nation, I think we'll find plenty to talk about.
    The Bosun

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post

I would prefer to avoid repeaters and internet based networks. Mainly for two reasons, privacy and it doesn't really lend to the whole emergency preparedness thing.

A net or on air meet up would be good to know we have others we can establish contact with in many scenarios where other technologies are out of commission.

(York County)

Wednesday evenings at, say... 7PM???

How many can operate on 80 Meters?

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast