Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

KC3PXG here.
    New to HAM always played around on CB (11m) Always wanted to get ticket and finally got around to getting it this past summer. I'm working on General so I can stretch out more on HF. My main reason for getting a HAM license was exactly for communications in a "grid down" type of event. I work with a group of Patriots who are primarily focusing on emergency preparedness and long term survival in the event of disaster. I'm located on the shore of Lake Erie so for comms I use the repeaters right now from base. (147.27, 146.61, and several more) with my setup I can simplex about 30 miles the issue is my antenna is too low right now to get over the top of the hill. I haven't had an opportunity to raise it. I'm also only using 2m because again I'm new to HAM and working on getting more exp. with the whole thing. Some people in my area seem to get irritated when us newbs get to talking to much. I think its because we dont do weather reports like all those old washed up guys. My setup is a icom ic 7000 and a homemade jpole that I need to raise to the 35' threshold. It is only 12' off the ground right now. I'm on echolink new to that also and have baos for handhelds right now. When budget allows I want to get a good handheld next then maybe look into some more base station ideas. I don't have an HF antenna setup yet still toying with dipole ideas and need to get some more coax.
    Muzzel Down Range, Eyes On Target...

(York County)

Hello Everyone.

To you new guys, welcome to amateur radio!

I’m on the air 160M and up.

I never got into the Beofeng-prepper / emcom thing, but if that’s what turns your crank, have at it! However, if SHTF, I’ll do my part by firing up as an HF pirate and spinning some classic rock vinyl .... ...till the 8875’s burn out.

There’s a pretty good ham radio thread in “the lounge”

73’s
    Jason

(Allegheny County)

I'm thinking we should attempt an informal net on 75 or 40 Meter SSB some evening, with 2 Meter FM available for more local/regional on-air gatherings. How many of us might be interested in that?

73 and Happy New Year,
    The Bosun

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    I'm thinking we should attempt an informal net on 75 or 40 Meter SSB some evening, with 2 Meter FM available for more local/regional on-air gatherings. How many of us might be interested in that?

73 and Happy New Year,
    Thinking that might not be a bad thing

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Thinking that might not be a bad thing
    Thank you, Shadow. I'll take some initiative here and propose 7.185MHz (allows for General and Advanced classes to join us), LSB +/- QRM tomorrow evening; Tuesday, December 29th, 1900 Local/2400 GMT. I'll be listening/calling for 15-30 minutes and hope to make contact with some of you then.

Who knows? With enough interest, this could turn into a regularly scheduled net. Also, I'm good on QRZ.com should anyone want to contact me via email.

Ray, WO2C
    The Bosun

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    Thank you, Shadow. I'll take some initiative here and propose 7.185MHz (allows for General and Advanced classes to join us), LSB +/- QRM tomorrow evening; Tuesday, December 29th, 1900 Local/2400 GMT. I'll be listening/calling for 15-30 minutes and hope to make contact with some of you then.

Who knows? With enough interest, this could turn into a regularly scheduled net. Also, I'm good on QRZ.com should anyone want to contact me via email.

Ray, WO2C
    little short notice, I'm prepping for the club's 2M net at 8 tonight so I may miss it, but I'll try for next week.

(Luzerne County)

AC3GI, Yatesville PA. I have an Icom IC7300 going into an off center fed dipole, cut for 80m but my SWR is a bit high there as I haven't actually tried trimming it yet as 40/20 work great. I have a Yaesu FTM7250D for 2m and 70cm, with a Diamond x50a antenna, as well as two Baofeng UV5R 8w, a TYT MD380 and MD9600 as well. I don't have a battery backup yet but use an Astron RS35m power supply. Mostly hang out on 146.550 simplex anymore.

(Allegheny County)

Happy New Year, Shadow, Mikey, and everyone.

I'll be home most of this three-day weekend and will try to get on the air. (I'd plan to devote most of my "radio time" to 6 Meters--always a favorite band of mine.) If anyone wants to attempt an on-air meeting, please, post it here or send me an email. I'd be happy to join in.

The Bosun

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    So those who are on the air, CB'er, HAM, or just a shortwave listener... what is your setup?
    Licensed general class here.

Home:
    Yaesu FT450D (6M - 160M)
    My Antenna EFHW 8010 (130' wire)
    SignaLink USB
    Yaesu FT-2900 (2M)
    Ed Fong DBJ-1 (2M/440cm)

Car:
    ICOM 5100D
    Browning BR-180 (dual band antenna)

HTs:
    Yaesu FT60R
    Baofeng UV-5R (2)
    Baofeng BF-888S (2)

I enjoy doing FT8 and use a Ubuntu PC for this. I don't get on HF phone much. I can hear well and with the FT8 can go clear around the world on 100watts. My next purchase is going to be a nicer antenna tuner and after that an amplifier. Someday I want to erect a 40' tower with an HF Yagi on it in the backyard but that's probably a few years away. I'm really happy with my 2M from home. I have the Ed Fong antenna up on the chimney and can hit repeaters 60 miles away at 75 watts.

For my next project I want to set up a DMR hotspot using a RaspberryPi and one of the BF-888S.

If anyone is interested in this hobby and has questions feel free to contact me. I might not know all the answers but I'll find someone who does.

(Allegheny County)

Hello, Jim. It sounds as if you're quite well equipped. I haven't operated mobile in over 4 years, now. (Though I can should the need arise.)

OK, following Jim's format:

Amateur Extra since shortly after Marconi invented radio. (OK--perhaps that's an exaggeration. First licensed in 1986; Amateur Extra since 1989). FWIW, I also hold a 2nd Class Radiotelegraph and a General Radiotelephone Operator's License--both with Ship Radar Endorsements. These are pretty Old School, but still valid.

As for equipment:
    Icom IC-746 (160 through 2 Meters SSB/CW/AM/FM)
    Ameritron AL-811H, (800 Watts, 160-10 Meters).
    King Conversion SB-220 6 Meter amplifier (1,000 Watts or so on 6 Meter SSB/CW).
    MFJ Versa Tuner III
    TE Systems 1494 2 Meter SSB/CW amplifier, 300 Watts.
    Mirage B215G 2 Meter FM amplifier, 160 Watts (rarely used, but 2 Meter FM simplex can be fun once in a while).
    Icom IC-2100 2 Meter FM radio. 20+ years old and still functions like new.
    Various meters, 3 Icom handhelds (2 commercial, 1 amateur).
    Heil Pro 7 microphone/headset--with the optional foot pedal (highly recommend! I've found it makes operating much more comfortable).
    Roof mounted 2 Meter FM groundplane; mast mounted 2 Meter SSB/CW and 6 Meter SSB/CW antennas and a very long wire in the backyard.

What's missing? Digital modes. While I have nothing against the digital modes, they've never interested me enough to interface my computer with the radio equipment. 'Perhaps eventually.

In closing, I'll echo Jim's comment that he's ready to assist newcomers. I'm also happy to do so.

73 and Happy New Year,
    Last edited by The Bosun; January 1st, 2021 at 08:17 PM.
    The Bosun

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast