Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac1279 View Post
    I*d like or get a tech. license for emergency communications. Can anyone recommend a good book or study guide? I*m brand new to amateur radio and the amount of information out there is mind boggling. Thanks in advance
    Well, I see you're in Lancaster county, that's very helpful for me, since I know the HAM scene there. We hold several weekend boot camps in that area every year. the LVSRA is in the process of setting one up and I can post the class info if you're interested (classes are free, but you may have to pay for the test, depending on who the VE team is). Depending on where in Lancaster, there are several good clubs who are very active that will help you to learn.

That said, to go direct on your question, I generally refer people to http://hamtestonline.com yes it has a small cost but offers a guarantee pass, this is free http://www.hamwhisperer.com/p/ham-courses.html this is another good one https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ If you have a smart phone or tablet, either Apple or Android, there are study guides there as well, that's how I upgraded to General.

when you feel comfortable to take the test, LVSRA tests every month at Heisiey's Diner (on Rt 72 North of Lebanon City) 3d Saturday of the month, test starts around 0730hrs runs till after 9 or so, stick around for breakfast, they're a good crew (they are working on how to deal with the current Governor's mandate). Other VE teams in Lancaster and York test every other month, so when you're ready let me know and I can find a test location close to you.

for a faster response president@lvsra.org is very quick to respond and can give you meat space face to face if you desire.
    Last edited by theshadow; December 11th, 2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added LVSRA club president contact

(Lancaster County)

Thanks shadow, that*s exactly the info. I am looking for. I*d definitely be interested in one of the classes. I*m located in Elizabethtown, I know Lanco Tactical hosted classes in the past.

(Lebanon County)

I*d like or get a tech. license for emergency communications. Can anyone recommend a good book or study guide? I*m brand new to amateur radio and the amount of information out there is mind boggling. Thanks in advance
    LVSRA was happy to partner with Lanco, it was a benefit to both organizational customers. In Etown, yea hit Ken (LVSRA Club President) up, he'll get you on track.

(Berks County)

hamstudy.org is the aid that I used. There are a lot of questions and I spent a few weeks studying but I'm a hard learner. They show all of the possible questions and the right answer and I went over it enough that I knew what the answer was for each question. It is an intuitive program and when you're simulating taking the test it presents you with the questions you got wrong until you have them all right. When I went for the test everyone else in the group had pencils, pads, calculators, etc and all I had was a pencil. I was first one finished the test and only got one wrong.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

While a lot of hams don't like the ARRL (like some of us don't like the NRA) this book is pretty good. http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual/.
    Besides learning the material, there are the test questions in the back which also reference the page the for the material which the question references. This way you don't just get the correct answer, you know why it's the correct answer.

QRZ https://www.qrz.com/ also has practice tests (under resources). This website is the general go-to for amateur radio. They also list the FCC daily updates, you can see your license as soon as it's been granted.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    While a lot of hams don't like the ARRL (like some of us don't like the NRA) this book is pretty good. http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual/.
    Besides learning the material, there are the test questions in the back which also reference the page the for the material which the question references. This way you don't just get the correct answer, you know why it's the correct answer.

QRZ https://www.qrz.com/ also has practice tests (under resources). This website is the general go-to for amateur radio. They also list the FCC daily updates, you can see your license as soon as it's been granted.
    I've followed this discussion with great interest and would enjoy participating in a weekly net. Located in Allegheny County, I have capabilities for anything from 160 Meters to 2 Meters (including CW & SSB). Perhaps we could start with a brief 80 or 40 Meter SSB net to test the waters some evening?

Also, for the newcomers, I've been a VE for sometime now and would be happy to be part of a PAFOA VE testing session.

I'm good on QRZ.com. If anyone is interested, please contact me via email or direct message here. I will then disclose my callsign (we can't be too careful on the Internet and those of you who are already licensed know QRZ.com lists our home addresses) and we can proceed from there.

Good luck to all those preparing for their license examinations and 73 to all,
    The Bosun

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    I've followed this discussion with great interest and would enjoy participating in a weekly net. Located in Allegheny County, I have capabilities for anything from 160 Meters to 2 Meters (including CW & SSB). Perhaps we could start with a brief 80 or 40 Meter SSB net to test the waters some evening?

Also, for the newcomers, I've been a VE for sometime now and would be happy to be part of a PAFOA VE testing session.

I'm good on QRZ.com. If anyone is interested, please contact me via email or direct message here. I will then disclose my callsign (we can't be too careful on the Internet and those of you who are already licensed know QRZ.com lists our home addresses) and we can proceed from there.

Good luck to all those preparing for their license examinations and 73 to all,
    Sent you a PM. I'm also in the Pittsburgh area and would enjoy seeing a POOFA/HAM group pick up steam.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

I work in television. Late 80's and I was technical director for Publisher's Clearinghouse 1 million dollar giveaway which was always broadcast live after the Superbowl. We flew by private jet to Indiana where we met our crew. We had 70 miles to travel to the lucky winners home and had the following. Winnebago, satellite truck, school bus, production truck and two limousines. Communication was via cb radio. All along the way over rural routes people were standing outside there homes to watch us go by and they knew something was up because they all had cb's in the home.

I understand that empty coke bottles can be used as resisters.

See also Section V
    https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a155204.pdf

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    I understand that empty coke bottles can be used as resisters.

See also Section V
    https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a155204.pdf
    I think they'd make effective wire antenna insulators--hams are known to repurpose all sorts of items.
    The Bosun

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast