Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'll report more when I get back from Indiana.
    So, how well did it work? Did you run an external antenna, just the one that came with it or did you try both? I like the features it has and the wife and I drive to gun shows as far as Colorado so to be able to monitor weather and listen to the truckers would be nice to have.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    So, how well did it work? Did you run an external antenna, just the one that came with it or did you try both? I like the features it has and the wife and I drive to gun shows as far as Colorado so to be able to monitor weather and listen to the truckers would be nice to have.
    I like it. Apparently truckers don't chatter the way they used to. It was silent the entire trip except for once where there was a comment on a pickup towing a boat caught fire. We heard chatter lastnight when we sat in traffic for a hour getting passed an accident, so it was working. I did hear a weather alert the night before I left for Ohio due to severe thunderstorms moving through the area so that works. Seems to have a long battery life, if not transmitting. It charges faster through the 12v accessory plug in a vehicle than the 120vac adapter that comes with it. I just used the rubber duck antenna the entire time because I really only want to hear what's near me, and I'm not interesting in long range
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

I like it. Apparently truckers don't chatter the way they used to. It was silent the entire trip except for once where there was a comment on a pickup towing a boat caught fire. We heard chatter lastnight when we sat in traffic for a hour getting passed an accident, so it was working. I did hear a weather alert the night before I left for Ohio due to severe thunderstorms moving through the area so that works. Seems to have a long battery life, if not transmitting. It charges faster through the 12v accessory plug in a vehicle than the 120vac adapter that comes with it. I just used the rubber duck antenna the entire time because I really only want to hear what's near me, and I'm not interesting in long range
    My Kenwood HAM radio receives CB channels and I believe I tuned channel 19 in. I took it with me one day and didn't hear a peep and thought it wasn't working. It sounds like it might be and I need to get together with another drive and have him transmit for me. Battery life on this is its worst feature.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My Kenwood HAM radio receives CB channels and I believe I tuned channel 19 in. I took it with me one day and didn't hear a peep and thought it wasn't working. It sounds like it might be and I need to get together with another drive and have him transmit for me. Battery life on this is its worst feature.
    If you don't think it's working, just key up on channel 19 and chant "All truckers are queer motherfuckers" and you'll find out real quick they're out there.

(Berks County)

If you don't think it's working, just key up on channel 19 and chant "All truckers are queer motherfuckers" and you'll find out real quick they're out there.
    It won't transmit on CB or aviation freqs unless I can find a way to hack it.

(Centre County)

Thank you very much, just may order one next week. I like the fact of the weather alerts along with the CB versatility to be able to contact both other drivers and the police (IIRC they monitor Channel 9 for emergencies) as we're not locals when going to the gun shows and can maybe glean info especially when going around big cities or get rerouted due to something going on and need to ask questions. Yes we have our cell phones but for local stuff this may be a way to go.

(Berks County)

Thank you very much, just may order one next week. I like the fact of the weather alerts along with the CB versatility to be able to contact both other drivers and the police (IIRC they monitor Channel 9 for emergencies) as we're not locals when going to the gun shows and can maybe glean info especially when going around big cities or get rerouted due to something going on and need to ask questions. Yes we have our cell phones but for local stuff this may be a way to go.
    I'd check with current LE before I counted on channel 9 being a viable method for contacting them. If CB traffic is as dead as it seems, they might not be on it at all.

(Centre County)

I'd check with current LE before I counted on channel 9 being a viable method for contacting them. If CB traffic is as dead as it seems, they might not be on it at all.
    On many of the interstates that I have driven on in the past several years, there have been signs (pretty regularly spaced out) that said the Highway Patrol/State Police/etc. monitor CB Channel 9. I would think that some smart tow operators would also monitor it.

(Berks County)

On many of the interstates that I have driven on in the past several years, there have been signs (pretty regularly spaced out) that said the Highway Patrol/State Police/etc. monitor CB Channel 9. I would think that some smart tow operators would also monitor it.
    Thanks, that is good to know. I never noticed them but I miss a lot of stuff if I'm not specifically looking for it.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, that is good to know. I never noticed them but I miss a lot of stuff if I'm not specifically looking for it.
    If you want to know if they're listening get on channel 9 and chant "All cops are bastards".

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast