Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Radio communication as part of preparedness

There is easy coverage state wide on 80M HF from sunrise to almost noon, followed by 3pm through sunset when the band goes long. Why not pick a freq near the top of 80m and meet up this weekend.

We could do 160M in the evenings too
    Last edited by Jason O; February 20th, 2021 at 08:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason O View Post
    There is easy coverage state wide on 80M HF from sunrise to almost noon, followed by 3pm through sunset when the band goes long. Why not pick a freq near the top of 80m and meet up this weekend.

We could do 160M in the evenings too
    I agree, Jason. Also, considering those who may just be getting started, 2 Meter FM could accommodate Technician licensees who don't yet have HF equipment. But, why couldn't we do both? With large segments of spectrum available, we could meet on-air two or more times per week; HF net, VHF net.
    The Bosun

(York County)

A couple of thoughts here:
    1. I am all for accommodating Tech Class license holders, but both 10M and 2M restrict the distance to which PAFOA members could join in. Even when 10M opens up to skywave or sporadic E propagation (*skip*), it goes long distance, and E-W Pennsylvania won*t be feasible. Same for 2M.

2. 80 meters NVIS would be workable most evenings for the majority of PA. If not complete coverage, then good enough for relays.

I like the suggestion of doing both. We here in South Central PA usually meet Wednesday evenings on 28.320 USB around 7PM. Sometimes a big crowd, sometimes hardly anyone, but a could of us can reach out 100 miles on 10M SSB so try to stop by and say hello.

as for 80M, I can*t encourage enough for the tech class holders to study for thr general. It really does open so much more and it*s not really more difficult than the tech just some different material.

Maybe we could do regional nets/ragchews/checkins on Wednesday at 7 then move to 80M at 8pm.

thoughts?
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; April 29th, 2021 at 06:43 AM.

(York County)

A other thought is using NETLOGGER for all of them so people know where to find them. Also there’s a chat window for those who are trying to check in

(Allegheny County)

Easiest way to include everyone who wants to try might be to pick a repeater that a majority or at least several can access via radio (central pa if that's the case) which is also an echolink repeater and everyone can get in either via radio or echolink app.

Then we can talk everyone into 80 meters...

(Allegheny County)

Mini review of a new radio...

I've been without a vhf radio in my truck for almost a year. I picked up a QYT KT 8900. ($80 on Amazon). It's a dual band, 2 meter and 70cm, radio. 25 watts out on 2 meters. I think 20 watts on 70cm.

First test was in the house on my attic ground plane antenna. No problem doing simplex to Jason O 16 miles away. It's actually pretty easy to program with chirp ( I used a raspberry pi). There is a programming cable included. It comes with a cigarette lighter plug which is handy or you can direct wire.

I just finished installing in my 2019 Nissan Frontier. I have a magmount antenna up on my truck racks. So far, good audio reports from a couple repeaters.

(Butler County)

I like the camo design!

I go back and forth about putting a VHF radio in my truck while I already have a CB in there. I still enjoy having a CB for my cross-state trips for the info it provides (as well as the entertainment), but dont want my roof to turn into an antenna collection.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, that was the one that could ship soon. This thing is tiny, which is what I was after. Meaning it would fit with a CB!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Thanks, that was the one that could ship soon. This thing is tiny, which is what I was after. Meaning it would fit with a CB!
    Any updated reviews on that mini radio? I think I want to finally ditch the CB and just get a dual band 2m/70cm radio. I don't mind getting one like the Yaesu I have in my house (in terms of size, not capabilities), but reclaiming some real estate in the truck would be a bonus.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

So far so good. No on the road simplex contacts yet, but I've talked to a few different people on different repeaters. It's dual band but I actually only have 2 meter repeaters in memory. I made one change on it today on the scan function. It would stop on a signal but start up again after 3 or 4 seconds. Luckily I found a function so that scan starts up when signal is gone. Much better. Only complaint at the moment is that when it turns on it doesn't start scanning if it was scanning when turned off like the yaesu. Not a big deal as it's a double press on a mic button but I would like it if it did. Solid radio so far.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast