Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Who makes a top tier AR15?

I have a Rock River Arms. I would say it's a mid level gun. They guarantee 1 moa which it does with decent ammo. Never had a fail with it. The PSA rifles have been really good. Not as accurate but great for the money.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocknurse View Post
    I would argue that current production Colt ARs are mid-tier at best. They pretty much just get parts from suppliers and slap them together (like lots of others) with their name on it.

Where does Aero fall into the mix? I think their complete rifles would be the high end of mid-tier.

In the current climate it seems like lower-tier ARs have gone up in price to meet mid-tier but mid-tier and upper-tier ARs haven't really changed much in price.
    Your last line regarding pricing very closely mirrors how it was during the 2012 panic.
    Everyone wanted an AR15 or AK47 before they were banned and low end guns were selling for 3-4 times the normal price, while the formerly expensive guns didn't climb in price by all that much.
    People were willing to pay $1,500 for a $500 AR15, but nobody is going to pay $4,500 for a $1,500 AR15.

Right now, it really does make sense to consider "better" guns that you would not have considered several months ago.
    If you're going to spend $900 for a S&W Sport, you might want to see if you can find a better quality brand for close to the same price.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

I like JoshIronshaft's categories, and I've build about 7 ARs, all duty grade.

This is my opinion only, and you know what they say about those. But the upper is critical, IMO, the barrel quality, Bolt and BCG quality, that's the heart of the gun. I don't shop cheap or sale items, nor do I believe I need to get top tier "name" uppers, but I always go with BCM complete uppers. I have complete confidence in Paul Buffoni's philosophy, which is never go down-market in quality (cold hammer forged barrels, individually tested bolts), but don't do more than you need to either. It's a tool, but it is an important tool, so don't cheap out on the heart of the rifle. He makes so many models of complete uppers, it's not possible you won't find what you need there. You can get better uppers, I suppose (but not much better, and questionable whether it is real-world functionally 'better'), and you can for sure get cheaper uppers, but I do not think you can get a better upper for less money than BCM. So many professional trust this guy, I just settled on them and I don't look anywhere else.

Now lowers, many disagree with me, but I could not care less who makes them. I mean they are all CNC machined nowadays and how long have they been around? I'll get stripped lowers from anyone on sale, I've never had any issues. They're not so expensive it matters, though, get what makes you happy. Internet 'echo' lasts a loooong time, and I guess years ago Anderson had issues with tight magwells or something, but not lately. I've used a lot of them and never had an issue. If you spend more than, say, $80 for an Aero Precision, I think you're nuts. Mine are usually $50 or less, depending on panic levels and supplies.

Furniture (stock, pistol grip, handguard) get what floats your boat, that doesn't affect 'duty quality' IMO. Two items I would suggest you consider, though which you will really like and won't break the bank.

BCM medium latch charging handle (or ambi, or large latch, I just like the Mod 4)
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfi...-medium-latch/

And get a quality lower parts kit without a trigger and get an ALG Defense ACT. It's milspec design, but the hammer and sear are polished and differentially coated (Nickel boron and Nickel teflon, I think) and they are only $65 or so. Thank me later, these are da bomb.
    https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

FWIW, on patrol weapons, I love the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling. Adjustable, but so simple, really doesn't require any thought or practice to use it.

Have fun with your build!

(Elk County)

23 posts in and nobody has mentioned THE CHART?

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    This isn't arfcom.

Thank god.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    And get a quality lower parts kit without a trigger and get an ALG Defense ACT. It's milspec design, but the hammer and sear are polished and differentially coated (Nickel boron and Nickel teflon, I think) and they are only $65 or so. Thank me later, these are da bomb.
    https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
    I agree, that ALG trigger is the best bang for the buck.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    I love Charts, let's see it..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This isn't arfcom.

Thank god.
    M4carbine is 10x as bad.

I own XXX (screw you ATF) ARs and have never experienced a single malfunction of any type. Actually wait that's not true, the one I did was from a Top top Tier brand!!! [Mags wouldn't always lock back, the gas port was drilled too small, and they fixed it quick]. The platform is just plain reliable. No, I'm not putting thousands of rounds down a month or using them in horrible conditions, but still it's been my experience that malfunctions are rare when you 1) don't screw with anything, 2) use decent ammo and mags, 3) keep it clean & lubed.

(Westmoreland County)

JP Enterprises
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast