Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ruger sr9 - kind of a disappointment

I've had a Ruger SR9 for just shy of a year. I've performed a few upgrades on it such as steel guide rod and extra power striker spring.

I've complained about the muzzle kind of bouncing when dry firing in the past. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I've never had this problem with any of my other pistols including a Glock i had. Mentioning the Glock just to kind of establish that i don't believe this is inherently a striker pistol problem.

Admittedly, changing my grip can sometimes yield better or worse results. But with no real consistency. And i don't enjoy working this hard to get these kind of results when every other pistol i have doesn't present this sort of challenge.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic on my own post.

Recently i had some dummy rounds made to practice tap rack bang exercises. The dummy rounds have no primer. And this is where the trouble begins.

So... When you dry fire the sr9, the firing pin stays protruded from the breech face. When the slide cycles, it resets. But the barrel is a browning tilt barrel sort of affair. So the firing pin actually needs the primer on the round to act as a ramp to help press the striker back. Follow?

The takeaway is that if you dry fire with a dummy round with no primer, the tilt action of the barrel causes the primer pocket to bind against the striker. You can't cycle the action. You need to disassemble the entire pistol to get it unlocked. This is not easy since you need to tilt the ejector down to allow the slide to be freed from the frame.

So what does this all mean?

I have a gun that i don't enjoy shooting, that isn't particularly good for running drills, and i have more money into (magazines/upgrades) than I'll see when i sell it.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ruger sr9 - kind of a disappointment

An SR9 was actually the first pistol I ever bought. I had almost the exact same experience with it too. I was doing dry fire training during a pistol class and the whole slide locked up, I'm assuming because of the firing pin issue you mentioned. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced all the guts. I'll give it to them that the repair process was totally painless. They sent the box with paid labels, turnaround was only about a week and half. Came back good as new.

I sold it immediately afterward for way less than I paid for it.

I have 3 pistols from the SR series, SR9, SR9c and SR45. Never had an issue with them ever.
    Quick question, snap caps dont work for your drill your trying to do?
    Anyway. Sorry about your disappointment
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

I don't know much about Ruger pistols other then the MK series of .22lr pistols, everyone of their Semi auto's I have handled or shot left me completely underwhelmed. I am not saying they are bad or junk pistols I just think they are typically lack luster and more of an after thought by Ruger then an actual product they want to really push hard and build a long time reputation off of.

I am NOT a gun snob in any way or a super fan of just one brand but when people have asked me what handgun would I recommend to someone who only wants one handgun (not a collector) I tell them to look at the most common duty pistols that are currently in service all across the US. That's typically going to be something from Glock, S&W M&P, or Sig. All these pistols have proven themselves with military and law enforcement some for for decades and there is a reason for that. If I were to throw one more brand in there that I actually prefer over the three listed above it would be CZ specifically a 75 BD however I personally do not like carrying a SA/DA pistol.

The pistols I mentioned all work right out of the box and need nothing other then trigger time and ammo. My only personal recommendation is a set of good hi viz sights/night sights. I personally love the Truglo TFX pro's.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I have 3 pistols from the SR series, SR9, SR9c and SR45. Never had an issue with them ever.
    Quick question, snap caps dont work for your drill your trying to do?
    Anyway. Sorry about your disappointment
    Okay. Good question. Found a way the heck bigger issue now.

Loaded 5 snap caps. Chambered first one. Pull trigger. Cycle action. Immediate jam. The firing pin isn't locking back after the slide moves fully rearward.

I have a few things I'm going to try. But as it currently stands, this gun is a single shot paperweight. Very unhappy.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I don't know much about Ruger pistols other then the MK series of .22lr pistols, everyone of their Semi auto's I have handled or shot left me completely underwhelmed. I am not saying they are bad or junk pistols I just think they are typically lack luster and more of an after thought by Ruger then an actual product they want to really push hard and build a long time reputation off of.

I am NOT a gun snob in any way or a super fan of just one brand but when people have asked me what handgun would I recommend to someone who only wants one handgun (not a collector) I tell them to look at the most common duty pistols that are currently in service all across the US. That's typically going to be something from Glock, S&W M&P, or Sig. All these pistols have proven themselves with military and law enforcement some for for decades and there is a reason for that. If I were to throw one more brand in there that I actually prefer over the three listed above it would be CZ specifically a 75 BD however I personally do not like carrying a SA/DA pistol.

The pistols I mentioned all work right out of the box and need nothing other then trigger time and ammo. My only personal recommendation is a set of good hi viz sights/night sights. I personally love the Truglo TFX pro's.
    Funny you mention the cz. I originally bought the Ruger as a smaller carry gun (my normal carry is a Beretta 92fs). I ended up replacing it with a cz75d pcr. Super happy with the pcr.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

zach, remove the aftermarket striker spring and return the normal striker spring. Modifying a pistol does not make it better. Engineers balanced systems and made calculated trade offs with science. I go to a lot of classes and compete regularly. I see pistols that have been modified fail wayyy more than stock guns.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

My recommendations are basically the same with one step further. I suggest they point the gun to see if the grip angle works with their natural mechanics, judge the overall feel of the handgun in their hands, and check that they are comfortable with the slide release, mag release, safety (if equipped), and trigger. Basically a quick test drive at the gun shop counter. Definitely not something a newbie can gather a lot from, but after handling a few different models in quick succession they can at least start to notice differences and maybe find something that fits them better.

I've never been impressed with Ruger's center fire semi autos. They are my choice for rim fire semi auto pistols and single action revolvers, but those center fire semi autos just seem like they're stuck in the past or something.

Don't feel obligated to make it work because of your investment. Now is a great time to sell a used firearm. Humans have a fatal weakness in that they continue to invest resources in things that aren't working rather than pivot in a new direction.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    zach, remove the aftermarket striker spring and return the normal striker spring. Modifying a pistol does not make it better. Engineers balanced systems and made calculated trade offs with science. I go to a lot of classes and compete regularly. I see pistols that have been modified fail wayyy more than stock guns.
    One step ahead.

So...i replaced the magazine disconnect. It causes the striker to lock back slightly sooner than the trigger/striker safety. Reassembled. No dice.

Replaced the striker spring. Resembled. It at least cycles now.

I'm 100% going to get rid of this gun. The trigger isn't that good. And I'm just not that impressed. It is a shame because the ergonomics Are pretty good. But I'm going to restore the few parts that aren't factory and replace it with something i like better.

-Zach

(Lehigh County)

It would be interesting to see a picture of the striker, especially the tip. I wonder if your original test cartidges damaged it. When making up test cartriges, it is a good idea to fill the primer hole with a piece of hard rubber or similar material.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast