Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: how far do you go to control your scent?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    The way its supposed to work is to destroy the bacteria causing the odors. Fwiw, its supposed to kill viruses too. Personally, I dont mind the smell of ozone, I even picked up a small ozone generator that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my truck. Like I said, could be snake oil, but gives me some peace of mind.
    Yes, a number or bars and restaurants I knew of had them, and I could tell as soon as I came in the door. The CPAP 'cleaners' they push on TV are ozone based as well. I am glad it seems to work for you. The one use I do approve of is using ozone in water purification, as some brands use it for that.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Yes, a number or bars and restaurants I knew of had them, and I could tell as soon as I came in the door. The CPAP 'cleaners' they push on TV are ozone based as well. I am glad it seems to work for you. The one use I do approve of is using ozone in water purification, as some brands use it for that.
    Like I said, the science behind it seems to make sense. While it does create an odor, that odor is not far reaching as o3 has a very short half life. It essentially works only in small areas or you'll need a larger/more powerful generator to flood a larger area. A small hunting blind wouldn't need a huge generator to be effective. The number of deer I've had walking around outside my blinds without being alerted seem to confirm its effectiveness for me. I've had some of the older doe pick up on slight movements, reflections or shadows while crossbow hunting, but none have seemed to picked up on scents aside from crossing over areas I've walked. The generator I generally use is a cheaper unit, less than $40. I've also got an ozonics that's quite a bit more expensive my dad passed on to me that I use occasionally. No major performance difference in either unit. One does not seem to be more effective than the other in a blind. In an open treestand, the ozonics is probably more effective as it puts out more o3.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Like I said, the science behind it seems to make sense. While it does create an odor, that odor is not far reaching as o3 has a very short half life. It essentially works only in small areas or you'll need a larger/more powerful generator to flood a larger area. A small hunting blind wouldn't need a huge generator to be effective. The number of deer I've had walking around outside my blinds without being alerted seem to confirm its effectiveness for me. I've had some of the older doe pick up on slight movements, reflections or shadows while crossbow hunting, but none have seemed to picked up on scents aside from crossing over areas I've walked. The generator I generally use is a cheaper unit, less than $40. I've also got an ozonics that's quite a bit more expensive my dad passed on to me that I use occasionally. No major performance difference in either unit. One does not seem to be more effective than the other in a blind. In an open treestand, the ozonics is probably more effective as it puts out more o3.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345