Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AK vs. AR

Default AK vs. AR

I know this debate has come up plenty of times. But looking at it through current day eyes..... I think I would have to go with an ak solely based on current ammo price and availability

You can find 1000 rounds of 7.62 for about $350 per 1000 rounds. It*s a $150 more than at the start of the year..... but still less than double before Corona.

The cheapest I can find for 5.56/.223 is $699 for steel case Tul Ammo. You could get brass cased ar ammo for under $300 before Corona. Not sure what Steel case was going for. That*s about $400 more than pre Corona.

$350 for ak ammo vs. $700 for ar ammo..... $350 more per 1000 for ar ammo. That's a lot for most people.

If you want to stock up on say..... 5000 rounds because you don*t know where things are going, you are looking at $1750 for ak ammo and $3500 for ar ammo. that*s a heck of a lot of money.

One of the advantages of ar*s is that they had gotten cheaper. That is currently negated.

I*ve been telling people to stock up on ar*s and ar ammo for the last couple of years. I think I will be changing my advice for awhile.
    Last edited by internet troll; December 1st, 2020 at 09:12 AM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: AK vs. AR

I think it does depend. I go to the range with my AK's and I don't feel all too bad shooting a few mags off. 3 30 round mags today at about 33cpr (when I bought plus deals I've snagged) cost me about $30. Shoot 3 30 round mags of .556 at the range... well, at .85cpr if you're lucky, you're looking at $70-$80 for the same amount of fun. I look at it this way and I'm comfortable with having a larger investment on the rifle than the ammo.

(Butler County)

It comes down to what you want out of the rifle - ammo is gonna fluctuate all the time, regardless of caliber. You don't buy a gun worrying about the cost per round, you've already found an expensive hobby.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't let a temporary upswing in ammo prices due to panic buying be the deciding factor in what gun I purchase.

And besides...

YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!!!
    7.62x39 AND AR15!!!!!!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clinton County)

Wait, you're finding AK's for tree fiddy? You can't even get Mosins on here for that right now lmao.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Wait, you're finding AK's for tree fiddy? You can't even get Mosins on here for that right now lmao.
    I thought that's what he said too, but I thinks he meant a case of ammo - not the price of a gun.

Last time AKs were tree fiddy, Obama was winding up to win his first election.
    I remember it well - I could see the writing on the wall, and each time Dunham's sale paper came out, AKs were up $10 more than the last, and I bought at $350!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    I made it clearer.

(Washington County)

If your use case is as cut and dry as a rifle to blast rounds, then at this moment AK > AR. The AR still wins when your needs outweigh large quantities of ammo being economic (accessory mounting, suppressor use, optic mounting, weight, whatever).

(Allegheny County)

Where is the "why not both?" girl when you need her...

(Chester County)

I had just been eyeballing this .22lr setup for the AR last nite and ordered it this morning. It's $169.00, it gets good reviews and JoeBob's offers free shipping on all orders over $90.
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMM...mg-22ba6e1.htm
    CMMG-22BA6E1-2.jpg

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast