Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default ONE OF A KIND... 9mm Kimber k6S 3inch revolver conversion

Just wanted to post a cool project that I sought out and funded, thought it might be of interest to someone out there...

To my knowledge, this is the only one of these that has been made - although with other conversions out there, I am not sure why (possibly bc of the moonclip issue, will speak to that)

I have a thing for 9mm revolvers; I have done at least 8 conversions through various smiths/ companies that offer this work.

This is a Kimber K6S 3inch 357mag/ 38 spl that has had its cylinder reamed to also handle 9mm (9x19) [with moonclips] - this has had no adverse impact on accuracy with either 357/38/9mm that I can see, based on my crappy abilities.

The main issue was sourcing moonclips because this revolver is very 'small' for what it is and the dimensions measured from center-casing to center-casing all around are not a 1:1 with the speed-6 (which came in 9) or other 6-shots out there.
    For this, I bought all the 6-shot 9mm moonclips that I could find produced by TK custom and my smith ran his reamer through the closest fit (none were 'drop in') and we got it.
    Then, on a whim, I called TK Custom and asked if they would machine custom moonclips based on the dims that I gave them; when asked for what, I told them, and they revealed something interesting...

They had them in 9mm for the K6S already.

(what?)

When I asked how and why - they said that Kimber had asked about it, hinted that at some point maybe they were considering a 9mm release (omg why not? I wish they had done it) - and these were the prototypes.

I bought (10) of them - they are a perfect fit. And now was considering 3D printing some like RIMZ EZ moonclips since I am very familiar with parametric modeling and have ready access to a 3D printer...

Hope this brought some entertainment to your Sunday... BTW, I am thinking of selling this rarity on Gunbroker but if there is any local interest, let me know. It was not cheap to do.

Anyways, here are some pics:

20201129_170641.jpg

20201129_170731.jpg

20201129_171629.jpg

20201129_172025.jpg

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: ONE OF A KIND... 9mm Kimber k6S 3inch revolver conversion

Very cool. Just purchased my first 9mm revolver - posted in pics, a S&W 986! Had a Kimber K6S on the wish list - very interesting! Nicely done......
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Philadelphia County)

ideally taurus would take their 3inch 856 defender and make it in 9mm - wouldnt have to change the frame size at all and that would be the perfect 9mm carry revolver... i have the 2.5" 892 w 9mm cylinder, its nice that it has 7shot rounds but the size difference is very noticable for carry.

(Philadelphia County)

why not bore to 9x23 and shoot the Largo and 38 super?
    I did with the J frame and its snappy

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    why not bore to 9x23 and shoot the Largo and 38 super?
    I did with the J frame and its snappy
    yes i considered it but honestly never shot either so i went for the practicality of common ammo for me personally; 9x19 is (WAS) so ubiquitous and efficient out of small barrel lengths that it won me over for revolvers. at one point i had like 8-10 revolvers in 9mm (half were conversions). ppl complain about crimp jump but i never ran into any issues - standard pressures and 115gr/124gr.

im pretty sure my next conversion might be a 3inch taurus 856; i might have found a moonclip that works..
    some claim a 38spl cylinder will blow out and they ref pressure differences between 38spl vs 9mm - but the folly in this to me is that manuf. tend to be lazy and use same materials and wall/ chamber thicknesses regardless of caliber... marc at pinnacle has done 38-to-9mm conversions for years and i havent read or seen anything posted about cylinders blowing out yet.

(Susquehanna County)

Have a look here https://pinnaclehighperformance.com/cylinder-work you might want another possible resource. BTW I have a 986 and like it a lot. I wish Smith would make an N frame 8 round besides the monstrosity they have. 4" barrel without the compensator would be just right.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Have a look here https://pinnaclehighperformance.com/cylinder-work you might want another possible resource. BTW I have a 986 and like it a lot. I wish Smith would make an N frame 8 round besides the monstrosity they have. 4" barrel without the compensator would be just right.
    yes I know mark and he has done several conversions for me; also TK Custom and local smith Eric at EZ Accuracy... I hear you on the monstrosity thoughts; that is what prompted me to make this particular conversion.
    if the manuf start with the 9x19 in mind, then the cylinder really shrinks - I dont see why they couldn't get a 7shot into a very carry-able K frame size.
    taurus seems to have the most size vs firepower efficient pkg around with the new 692 - it is 7shot and much smaller than the smiths, but it starts as a 357mag which I think could shrink more if dedicated to a 9x19.

(Susquehanna County)

I have a 5" barreled 986 and the more I shoot it the more I like it. Oddly enough when I first got it I thought I'd bought a lemon. The trigger pull was terrible, the rear sight wasn't screwed down tight and the ejector rod would loosen as the pistol was fired. It was also very finicky about primers and getting it to fire CCI primers was a PIA. But with some tinkering on my part and a trip to Mark for some of his magic it now runs very well. I know it is L frame but I don't find that much bigger than K-frame. Anyhow where would you start if you were to design specifically for 9mm Luger? I think S&W has a winning combination with the titanium cylinder.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I have a 5" barreled 986 and the more I shoot it the more I like it. Oddly enough when I first got it I thought I'd bought a lemon. The trigger pull was terrible, the rear sight wasn't screwed down tight and the ejector rod would loosen as the pistol was fired. It was also very finicky about primers and getting it to fire CCI primers was a PIA. But with some tinkering on my part and a trip to Mark for some of his magic it now runs very well. I know it is L frame but I don't find that much bigger than K-frame. Anyhow where would you start if you were to design specifically for 9mm Luger? I think S&W has a winning combination with the titanium cylinder.
    i would start by getting the cylinder as small in diameter as possible since that really determines the frame size - the smaller the cylinder, the smaller the frame, the more compact the firearm... i think 6-7shot 9x19 you could fit in a good pkg. i also would go the route of the LCR w mixed materials but steel where it counts to keep weight down... titanium is cool or scandium but i would keep the cylinder steel for strength (min wall thickness) - i had cylinder erosion on my titantium 617 from low gr bullet weight/ hot rounds (so i would steer clear of alt materials for cylinder)

(Philadelphia County)

i also think a break top with moonclips would be 2nd kind of cool... both pinnacle and tk custom do a conversion for a Schofield 45acp w moonclips that is badass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast