Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Any experts on Winchester 1897?

I've got one that appears to have perhaps been used for Cowboy Action matches it is fitted a removable choke. I'm wondering about its use with Buckshot.
    SN D2974XX.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Any experts on Winchester 1897?

Not an expert but the serial number dates it to 1906. The only caveat I have to offer is that many older shotguns came with chambers less than 2 3/4". In the states 2 9/16" and 2 5/8" chamber lengths were common. 2 1/2" was more common in Europe. Winchester didn't standardize to 2 3/4" until around 1927.

I collect old 16 gauges and have a gauge that measures chamber length. I'm sure they're made for 12 Gauge too. Also 2 1/2" shells are available from companies like RST http://www.rstshells.com/

Being that that gun has a choke tube installed I would not be surprised if the chamber was also lengthened but it still needs checked out.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I've got one that appears to have perhaps been used for Cowboy Action matches it is fitted a removable choke. I'm wondering about its use with Buckshot.
    SN D2974XX.
    The barrel has obviously been modified or replaced. I wouldn't shoot the gun until you can verify the chamber length and details about the barrel. Take it to a competent gunsmith and have him check the chambers and try to identify the barrel as being a modern replacement or modified original. The choke is probably an adjustable externally attached poly choke. I've seen plenty of 1897 with those installed. There should be markings on the barrel and like always pictures are your best option in help identifying your firearm. Guessing is something that should be left to game show answers.
    Last edited by JenniferG; November 29th, 2020 at 11:58 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

You can get the chamber lengthened if it is short. Really, the only 2 9/16 chambers should be black powder. Could be 2 5/8 or just short. I have an H&R single shot made in the 30's with a tight chamber. It fires 2 3/4 shot shells and slugs fine, but not Federal and Winchester buckshot. The ejector wont pry them out and you can see where the end of the shell is melted into the chamber because it is just a tad too long.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    You can get the chamber lengthened if it is short. Really, the only 2 9/16 chambers should be black powder. Could be 2 5/8 or just short. I have an H&R single shot made in the 30's with a tight chamber. It fires 2 3/4 shot shells and slugs fine, but not Federal and Winchester buckshot. The ejector wont pry them out and you can see where the end of the shell is melted into the chamber because it is just a tad too long.
    Thanks, But it is a takedown model so maybe I can break it down and measure the chamber directly with the depth gauge on my caliper.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

I'm not an expert- but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
    I've done quite a bit of work and repair of the '97 over the years. I still have a pair of them from the same time period as yours.

Both are original barrel, solid frame guns with 2 3/4" chambers. To measure, consult a diagram of a 2 3/4" chamber and compare with the results from your depth gauge.
    I just drop a 2 3/4" reamer into the chamber and note where it stops.

I still use both guns during antlerless season here. They work just fine for being well over a hundred years old.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter