Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default SIG P226 Custom shop Nightmare Question

I am new to handguns. I own one Glock 17 pistol , about a 6 weeks old, with about 500 rounds so far) Its a cool gun.

I also have the opportunity to buy a new Sig P226 Nightmare.

It has the oversized slide release and other features that seem cool. But in researching this, I am not sure if this is a great gun for the money.

I read some good and bad about the P226, I don*t know if it applies to this gun, such as some people saying the Borax is higher(at least on some P226 )
    So you feel the recoil more and mussel flip, Also, no pre milled for optic ? Am not sure if its an upgraded trigger ? For this money I am wondering if I am making a good choice.

I just saw a used Canic TS9SFX with a red dot attached from the factory (or at least milled at the factory and the red dot comes with it from the previous owner ) for less than 800 Bucks. I understand this might be apples vs oranges .

Without me firing either yet, I have no idea. Anyone have history with the P226 Nightmare ? I know they are limited quantity (Marketing ?) do all P226 shoot alike ?

Sorry for the newb Questions

Thanks in advance

(Elk County)

Default Re: SIG P226 Custom shop Nightmare Question

Quote Originally Posted by Staysafe100! View Post
    I am new to handguns . . . I also have the opportunity to buy a new Sig P226 Nightmare.

It has the oversized slide release and other features that seem cool. But in researching this, I am not sure if this is a great gun for the money.

I read some good and bad about the P226, I don*t know if it applies to this gun, such as some people saying the Borax is higher(at least on some P226 )
    Not sure about the Borax being higher on the P226. Maybe the magnesium sulfate is.

Do you feel the recoil more and mussel flip?
    Compared to what?

Also, no pre milled for optic ?
    Not a show stopper for me personally. I've been shooting handguns since 1963, including some with optics owned by others and I don't see the attraction. Open sights work fine for me. If SIG chose not to mill the slide for optics, it was based on their marketing intel. If an optic is important to you, look elsewhere.

Am not sure if its an upgraded trigger ?
    Neither am I, but all of my SIGs, including two P226s, four P228s, two P225s, several P6s, two P220s, and a P227 SAS have excellent triggers. The P6 as issued had a stronger mainspring than the stock P225 it's based on, but I put lighter springs in the P6 pistols and that made a world of difference in pull and acuracy. When I squeeze the trigger in single action mode, the sights do not move off the aimpoint, and don't move in relation to each other. The SIGs I own are as a class, pretty much among the most accurate pistols I have.

For this money I am wondering if I am making a good choice.
    SIGs are a lot of money, period. The Nightmare series has upgraded sights, bright control levers, a custom blackout finish, a custom shop case, a challenge coin, etc. Personally, i think it's just marketing eyewash, because I'm not sure I could shoot a P226 Nightmare any better than the Tysons Corner P226 I've had for over 30 years. You'll have to decide if the value is there for you.

I just saw a used Canic TS9SFX with a red dot attached from the factory (or at least milled at the factory and the red dot comes with it from the previous owner ) for less than 800 Bucks. I understand this might be apples vs oranges .
    Yes, apples and oranges. Caniks are fine, but not in the same league. But the Canik has the optic that seems important to you.

Guns are best purchased from the head, not the heart.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

I believe borax = bore axis.

Sigs are fine firearms. If your interested in concealed carry, check out the Sig p365. Spend the money you'll save on the currently outrageously priced ammo and some classes on firearms safety and skills.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xl-romeozero.html

Incredibly soft shooters with an amazing small amount of recoil for a subcompact 9mm.
    I have honestly had .22lr pocket pistols with more recoil and snap than my p365.

(York County)

Noah Zark said :!Neither am I, but all of my SIGs, including two P226s, four P228s, two P225s, several P6s, two P220s, and a P227 SAS have excellent triggers. The P6 as issued had a stronger mainspring than the stock P225 it's based on, but I put lighter springs in the P6 pistols and that made a world of difference in pull and acuracy. When I squeeze the trigger in single action mode, the sights do not move off the aimpoint, and don't move in relation to each other. The SIGs I own are as a class, pretty much among the most accurate pistols I have.
    ^^ this. And add the P239 and new style P320 as accurate and infallible as they come too. And as he noted, some of that may be lipstick; the plain Jane Sig Sauers work well right out of the box. I*ve carried one for more than two decades.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Not sure about the Borax being higher on the P226. Maybe the magnesium sulfate is.

Compared to what?

Not a show stopper for me personally. I've been shooting handguns since 1963, including some with optics owned by others and I don't see the attraction. Open sights work fine for me. If SIG chose not to mill the slide for optics, it was based on their marketing intel. If an optic is important to you, look elsewhere.

Neither am I, but all of my SIGs, including two P226s, four P228s, two P225s, several P6s, two P220s, and a P227 SAS have excellent triggers. The P6 as issued had a stronger mainspring than the stock P225 it's based on, but I put lighter springs in the P6 pistols and that made a world of difference in pull and acuracy. When I squeeze the trigger in single action mode, the sights do not move off the aimpoint, and don't move in relation to each other. The SIGs I own are as a class, pretty much among the most accurate pistols I have.

SIGs are a lot of money, period. The Nightmare series has upgraded sights, bright control levers, a custom blackout finish, a custom shop case, a challenge coin, etc. Personally, i think it's just marketing eyewash, because I'm not sure I could shoot a P226 Nightmare any better than the Tysons Corner P226 I've had for over 30 years. You'll have to decide if the value is there for you.

Yes, apples and oranges. Caniks are fine, but not in the same league. But the Canik has the optic that seems important to you.

Guns are best purchased from the head, not the heart.

Noah

LOL... I need to look up the words for gun terminology properly . But that is a good one !!!!

Thanks for your detailed response , I appreciate it

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I believe borax = bore axis.

Sigs are fine firearms. If your interested in concealed carry, check out the Sig p365. Spend the money you'll save on the currently outrageously priced ammo and some classes on firearms safety and skills.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-xl-romeozero.html

Incredibly soft shooters with an amazing small amount of recoil for a subcompact 9mm.
    I have honestly had .22lr pocket pistols with more recoil and snap than my p365.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    ^^ this. And add the P239 and new style P320 as accurate and infallible as they come too. And as he noted, some of that may be lipstick; the plain Jane Sig Sauers work well right out of the box. I*ve carried one for more than two decades.
    Thanks people. I appreciate the info and thoughts.

(Montgomery County)

I have a P226 Legion 9mm and I am pretty sure the only difference in recoil, for instance, with this model is simply the caliber used. If you are comparing the 9mm G17 to the 9mm P226, the recoil is lower in the P226. But if you're comparing the 9mm G17 to the 357 SIG P226, the P226 will have more recoil and would be more in line with something like my Glock 43!

I like the Genitron website (https://www.genitron.com/Handgun-Database) because it shows you some quantitative data to help you decide. It's quantitative only and should not be the only source you use to decide, testing the firearm will really tell you how it feels. This quantitative info is directional and it gives you an idea that the P226 9mm should have little muzzle flip compared to the G17. I love my P226, it's a very easy shooter and follow-up is great. It has the red-dot on it which does make it easier for target acquisition and follow-up shots. The factory trigger is really great, have not even thought about switching it out.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by djschloss View Post
    I have a P226 Legion 9mm and I am pretty sure the only difference in recoil, for instance, with this model is simply the caliber used. If you are comparing the 9mm G17 to the 9mm P226, the recoil is lower in the P226. But if you're comparing the 9mm G17 to the 357 SIG P226, the P226 will have more recoil and would be more in line with something like my Glock 43!

I like the Genitron website (https://www.genitron.com/Handgun-Database) because it shows you some quantitative data to help you decide. It's quantitative only and should not be the only source you use to decide, testing the firearm will really tell you how it feels. This quantitative info is directional and it gives you an idea that the P226 9mm should have little muzzle flip compared to the G17. I love my P226, it's a very easy shooter and follow-up is great. It has the red-dot on it which does make it easier for target acquisition and follow-up shots. The factory trigger is really great, have not even thought about switching it out.
    Great Information. I see the recoil is very good as far as what i have and looking at.

Just picked up the custom shop P226 nightmare, cant wait to try it out.

I don*t have red dot on it, but the sights it comes with , just looking at it , really helps my eyes lining the sights up.

Thanks for the website and info !!! Very helpful moving forward !