Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Old Rifles Not Fired in 20 Years

Hey all. Have a Model 70 in 7mm and another in .257 Robert's. They've been in the safe probably 20 years since they were last used. Had them out, oiled them up and cleaned em.

Just wondering what else you'd do to ensure they're safe to use first. I'm not overly concerned because these are both pre-64 rifles and have been well taken care of, and havent left the safe in 20 years. They function as they are supposed to, no cracks or other obvious warnings.

What else would you guys check out and/or do before using? I know many will say have a gunsmith check em out but I couldnt get into see one for another 2-3 weeks and hunting opens tomorrow. Thanks all!

Default Re: Old Rifles Not Fired in 20 Years

Just check the bore for rust or obstructions. Make sure the bolt and safety operate smoothly. Some oil does congeal over the years. Check the tightness of all screws.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

As long as they were stored somewhere dry they will be fine. Run run some patches thru the bore and look for any traces of rust in the barrel and chamber. Then go shoot it.

I would clean out the bolt ,chamber,and bore . Look for pitting ,rust . If all is allright re-lube parts !

(Berks County)

Take a buddy with you and let him shoot them first.

On a similar note...I have a model 70 in .338 winmag that was made in the mid 60's and was never fired. I ran an oil rag through the barrel, cleaned and lubed up the bolt and shot it. All went well.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

I pulled my m98 Mauser out the other day. Ran a patch down the bore and took it to the range with some 30 year old handloads. I hadn't shot this rifle in 30 years. First three shots at 100 yards landed 2 inches high in a tight cluster just like always.

Guns don't go bad or lose zero from sitting in a safe.

(Northampton County)

Thanks all. So decided to take the bolt apart and the pin and spring have some pretty serious rust. I've cleaned it up best I could and the pin has a bit of pitting in it.

Was looking for a new pin/spring assembly and wasnt sure which one I needed. Rifle is from the 50's I believe but would need to research the s/n more to get an exact year. Does it matter which pin and spring I get? Anyone have any luck with specific suppliers, etc.? Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Where is the pitting on the firing pin and how deep is it? Could you post some pic? I doubt it is bad enough to replace the firing pin and replacement firing pins are not always "drop in". You need to get the firing pin protrusion right or you could have light strikes or ruptured primers. If the tip of the firing pin has a few freckles LIGHTLY hit it with some 600 grit emery paper. You only want to get out any roughness and not change the dimensions

(Delaware County)

They sat 20 years in a locked box. If they worked when you set them down, they*ll work when you pick them up.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Where is the pitting on the firing pin and how deep is it? Could you post some pic? I doubt it is bad enough to replace the firing pin and replacement firing pins are not always "drop in". You need to get the firing pin protrusion right or you could have light strikes or ruptured primers. If the tip of the firing pin has a few freckles LIGHTLY hit it with some 600 grit emery paper. You only want to get out any roughness and not change the dimensions
    Here are some pics:

https://ibb.co/qMmnd7S
    https://ibb.co/v3DzkKb

Got it cleaned up pretty good just with some oil and a soft bristle brush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast