Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Primers and Interchangeability

Back to Basics: Primers ,

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...asics-primers/

Using pistol primers in a rifle might mean pierced primers, as the hammer spring/firing pin spring is too strong. Also, pistol primers don't have as much fire as rifle primers, so in a rifle cartridge they might not ignite the powder the same, giving strange burns.
    Just hope your rifle action is well enough designed to vent 50-55k PSI of a blown primer away from your face.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Back to Basics: Primers ,

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...asics-primers/

Just hope your rifle action is well enough designed to vent 50-55k PSI of a blown primer away from your face.
    This is also information I am hoping to receive, thanks.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Subbed. I’m curious about this too...been researching using LMR primers for the 270 and from what I’ve read they will work fine but you have to adjust your powder charge accordingly. Something like 20% less to account for the higher pressure of a magnum primer

(Clarion County)

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Subbed. I*m curious about this too...been researching using LMR primers for the 270 and from what I*ve read they will work fine but you have to adjust your powder charge accordingly. Something like 20% less to account for the higher pressure of a magnum primer
    Not sure about 20% , rule of thumb says 10%. I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum for semi-auto M1/30-06 and 7.62(.308)/M1A loads as the primer cup is harder. I also use them exclusively with ball powders , which are generally harder to ignite. I have noticed less unburned granules.

Loads with extruded powders (4350,4895) in bolt guns get Winchester Large Rifle.
    Last edited by abner13; November 27th, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Not sure about 20% , rule of thumb says 10%. I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum for semi-auto M1/30-06 and 7.62(.308)/M1A loads as the primer cup is harder. I also use them exclusively with ball powders , which are generally harder to ignite. I have noticed less unburned granules.

Loads with extruded powders (4350,4895) in bolt guns get Winchester Large Rifle.
    🤔

I may have to order more LR primers then. Or magnum powder. I have about 200rds worth of imr4895 here to use and enough federal primers for it, but want to load up some max loads with nosler silver tips and federal LMR using h4895-sc

Late winter/early spring project it looks like.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    ��

I may have to order more LR primers then. Or magnum powder. I have about 200rds worth of imr4895 here to use and enough federal primers for it, but want to load up some max loads with nosler silver tips and federal LMR using h4895-sc

Late winter/early spring project it looks like.
    A magnum primer will work just fine with 4895 and there is no such thing as a magnum powder. You can work up a max load with either a std or mag primer and 4895 (or any powder) and it will be safe Just don't take a max load you worked up with a standard primer and then substitute a mag primer. I would use the standard work up loads as max-10% then work up. With the combinations I loaded the primers you use made less of a difference than that.

(Chester County)

Large pistol and large rifle primers are a different size and are not interchangeable. Small pistol and small rifle are the same size.The harder thicker primers were developed for floating firing pins. For example in small rifle, even though the Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primer fits a 223/5.56 case Remington warns that you not to use those in the 223./5.56 loads because the hardness needed for that application is not there. I learned this back in the 90's as I loaded the 223/5.56 rounds for the 20" H barrel Colt AR I had. I began to see flattened and pierced primers as I began to load heavier loads and switched to Winchester primers designed specifically for the 223/5.56 as recommended by some old guy named Dan Titus of Shooting Specialties that made sure I was buying the right components.

I've done quite a bit of research on using small rifle primers in small pistol cases and the result is that if you are going to use them make sure they seat properly so they are below the surface of the casing and reduce your loads and work up from there. Primers are not only rated by their size but also rated at what is called "brisance". I'm not telling you what to do I can only tell you what I found through research and you take it upon yourself to learn for yourself what is safe and what isn't.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.p...6510#msg646510
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Large pistol and large rifle primers are a different size and are not interchangeable. Small pistol and small rifle are the same size.The harder thicker primers were developed for floating firing pins. For example in small rifle, even though the Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primer fits a 223/5.56 case Remington warns that you not to use those in the 223./5.56 loads because the hardness needed for that application is not there. I learned this back in the 90's as I loaded the 223/5.56 rounds for the 20" H barrel Colt AR I had. I began to see flattened and pierced primers as I began to load heavier loads and switched to Winchester primers designed specifically for the 223/5.56 as recommended by some old guy named Dan Titus of Shooting Specialties that made sure I was buying the right components.

I've done quite a bit of research on using small rifle primers in small pistol cases and the result is that if you are going to use them make sure they seat properly so they are below the surface of the casing and reduce your loads and work up from there. Primers are not only rated by their size but also rated at what is called "brisance". I'm not telling you what to do I can only tell you what I found through research and you take it upon yourself to learn for yourself what is safe and what isn't.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.p...6510#msg646510
    I read similar warnings about the Remington 6 1/2s, unfortunately after I’d bought a couple thousand for .223. After some research I satisfied myself they would be safe for light .357 loads, where I ended up using them without any discernible difference from small pistol primers.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I read similar warnings about the Remington 6 1/2s, unfortunately after I*d bought a couple thousand for .223. After some research I satisfied myself they would be safe for light .357 loads, where I ended up using them without any discernible difference from small pistol primers.
    CCI 400 primers are the equivalent to the Remington 6 1/2 primers. I used both of them for .30 carbine by the thousands. If you want to load 223/5.56 with CCI you need the BR4 or #41 primers. I used the Winchester WSR primers for many years on the 223. It's funny though back when I began reloading there was no distinction between 223 and 5.56 if you are reloading for an AR15 and none of my loading manuals even list 5.56.

As long as we're talking primers everyone should already know that using once fired military rifle brass is that there is a crimp on the primer pocket and it needs to be reamed in order to install a new primer. For the 223 in AR's it's highly recommended to full length resize and not just trim and neck size. Neck sizing is OK for single shot benchrest shooting but you want your AR to feed reliably so attention to cartridge OAL and full length resizing is highly recommended. This is what I was taught and what I have found from my experience. Reload as you wish.
    Last edited by JenniferG; December 17th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast