Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    north central keystoner land, Pennsylvania

Default what am I doing wrong here

I have a pile of 308 range brass that I've been going through and found a good number of .243 that's been resized for 308. I've recently acquired a 243 and thanks to the lack of availability have very little ammo, but I do have a set of dies. I lubed up a few of the cases and ran them into my resizing die, but now I have this weird bump on the neck. should I just load it and fire form it? I have my sizing die set down to where the shell holder just kisses the bottom of the die when I pull the handle down.
    Any suggestions?
    243neck.jpg

Default Re: what am I doing wrong here

Does the brass otherwise match SAAMI for lengths and widths?

It should also be verified in a case comparator or at least plunk
    Tested in the chamber before loading

It may just be a simple fire forming needed but I*d sure as hell
    Check everything else first

I measured the brass and the OAL is just a hair short, it's nothing I wouldn't load on any other piece of brass. all the other measurements are fine. it's just that little bubble on the neck that made me go huh. my first thought was that the brass wasn't going deep enough into the die to push the shoulder back to look purdy, but I can't send it in any deeper. (inb4 that's what she said joke)

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
    I measured the brass and the OAL is just a hair short, it's nothing I wouldn't load on any other piece of brass. all the other measurements are fine. it's just that little bubble on the neck that made me go huh. my first thought was that the brass wasn't going deep enough into the die to push the shoulder back to look purdy, but I can't send it in any deeper. (inb4 that's what she said joke)
    I can't put my finger on this Phenomenon but I've heard it called "the donut". I can't remember how it's caused or the remedy, perhaps someone more experienced can share
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

IDK. You may need to fireform that brass if it will chamber.
    Here is a way to fireform without wasting bullets.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...thout-bullets/

(Northampton County)

have you cleaned the dies that you have? and by lube you mean spray lube or or you rolling them old school on a lube pad? it looks like the die may have a build up of lube \ sizing wax on the inside. i had something like this happen a long time ago when i was still using a lube pad. ( before hornaday 1 min spray lube was around )
    i pulled the die apart and cleaned it with choke cleaner and a 25 cal nylon bore brush( i was loading .270 win) put it back together and had no issues after that. Today i would use brake clean.
    also, i see in the pic that your a RCBS guy, are the dies and the shell holder all RCBS? trying to use different shell holders from other manuf. can cause this as well.
    last but not least, My reloads that resembeled yours fit into my rifle without having to beat the bolt closed. they were a little tight compaired to new ammo, but i shot / fire formed then with out issue. Hope this helps,
    Roland
    75/15/10

(Bucks County)

Does the case in the photo chamber in your .243 rifle, bolt closing normally?

It looks like the bottom of the neck is pushing downward on the shoulder and displacing it outward. Try backing the die off a little and see if that makes a difference.

Is the photo'd case a .308, that you have run through a .243 die? If so, there may be an intermediate die available to make the change in two stages instead of just one.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Wheredeego?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland45 View Post
    have you cleaned the dies that you have? and by lube you mean spray lube or or you rolling them old school on a lube pad? it looks like the die may have a build up of lube \ sizing wax on the inside. i had something like this happen a long time ago when i was still using a lube pad. ( before hornaday 1 min spray lube was around )
    i pulled the die apart and cleaned it with choke cleaner and a 25 cal nylon bore brush( i was loading .270 win) put it back together and had no issues after that. Today i would use brake clean.
    also, i see in the pic that your a RCBS guy, are the dies and the shell holder all RCBS? trying to use different shell holders from other manuf. can cause this as well.
    last but not least, My reloads that resembeled yours fit into my rifle without having to beat the bolt closed. they were a little tight compaired to new ammo, but i shot / fire formed then with out issue. Hope this helps,
    Roland
    The brass in the pic is 243 brass that's been previously resized to 308 and fired, that I ran through my 243 die. I did roll them on a lube pad before attempting to resize them. I haven't tried cleaning them, so I'll do that next to see what happens. all my parts are rcbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Does the case in the photo chamber in your .243 rifle, bolt closing normally?

It looks like the bottom of the neck is pushing downward on the shoulder and displacing it outward. Try backing the die off a little and see if that makes a difference.

Is the photo'd case a .308, that you have run through a .243 die? If so, there may be an intermediate die available to make the change in two stages instead of just one.
    I haven't tried to chamber the brass yet, that's another next step to try.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Wheredeego?
    Don't worry, he will be back to sell stuff or ask another question in 5 or 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast