Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Red dot mounting

I am new here, and may have posted the original question in the wrong spot (Gunsmith )

Hey people, first time post , new gun owner , etc etc.

Would anyone recommend a mount for rear sight placement (dove tail ? ) (this is for Non MOS )

I am looking at Outerimpact Red Dot Adapter/Mount for Glock Pistol - M.R.A

Does anyone have experience with this on a Glock 17 Gen 5 ? I want to mount a red dot , Vortex Venom , but I am reading mixed reviews on the mount.

Are there any products tried and true to the ability to attach a red dot to it and have zero issues.

I know the above mounts will make the red dot higher than a milled out slide, but trying to see if there is any product I may have missed

I also am looking at Companies that will sell pre milled Slides for the Gen 5 17. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you !!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Red dot mounting

Here you go. It's a ZEV slide for the gen 5. Considering I paid double that for a Langdon RDO slide for my M9A1, I think that's a very fair price for what you get.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022219533

From what research I've done, the dovetail red mounts are generally not regarded very well. They do sit really high like you mentioned and make it impossible to get a cowitness plus the height over bore is going to make it difficult to get a useful zero. My pistol platform is 100% Beretta 92 variants so sorry I can't offer much Glock specific information.

(Perry County)

I had a dovetail mount on a Glock. I hated it, it sat too high and made quick sight acquisition very difficult. I now have a milled slide on CZ P-10C and it's a world of difference. It took very little practice to acquire the dot consistently on the draw.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    Here you go. It's a ZEV slide for the gen 5. Considering I paid double that for a Langdon RDO slide for my M9A1, I think that's a very fair price for what you get.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022219533

From what research I've done, the dovetail red mounts are generally not regarded very well. They do sit really high like you mentioned and make it impossible to get a cowitness plus the height over bore is going to make it difficult to get a useful zero. My pistol platform is 100% Beretta 92 variants so sorry I can't offer much Glock specific information.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I had a dovetail mount on a Glock. I hated it, it sat too high and made quick sight acquisition very difficult. I now have a milled slide on CZ P-10C and it's a world of difference. It took very little practice to acquire the dot consistently on the draw.
    Thanks Gents !

I appreciate all the great information ! And the site you linked is great. All the google i did and couldn*t find it. LOL

I am probably going with a slide for the Venom Sight . I am mainly Target shooting range and home Defense. Not sure if I go with 3 or 6 MOA. Most shooting will be no more thats 25 yards, if that

Also , I have a stigmatism , so shooting looking at the standard sights is ok, but wanted something better.
    Thanks again

(Somerset County)

I would recommend getting your gun milled or buying a pre milled slide as they are much better than dovetail mounts. Brownells, aim, and right bear make them for under $200

If you don't want to invest in that type of set up egw gun works probably make the best dovetail mounts

https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper...ire-and-docter

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Everready73 View Post
    I would recommend getting your gun milled or buying a pre milled slide as they are much better than dovetail mounts. Brownells, aim, and right bear make them for under $200

If you don't want to invest in that type of set up egw gun works probably make the best dovetail mounts

https://www.egwguns.com/vortex-viper...ire-and-docter
    Thanks for the info ! In the meantime I put a light / laser combo and waiting on XS big Dot sights to arrive next week.

Still debating on the pre milled slide or just get another gun with it pre milled and call it a day. I appreciate heads up on the EGW . I just was reading about that brand and a video I watched.

Thanks again

(Centre County)

If you want someone to mill your slide for optics, I can recommend these guys, they do fantastic work. https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/ They can not only do the optics cut but can modify your slide from mild to wild.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If you want someone to mill your slide for optics, I can recommend these guys, they do fantastic work. https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/ They can not only do the optics cut but can modify your slide from mild to wild.
    Thank You for the info ! I appreciate it !