Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default computer question

Getting wife a cheapy 2 in 1 chromebook so she can do some FB and watch her soap opera's - lol.
    I'm not totally up on storage differences.
    Which is "better", a 2 in 1 with 64gb of emmc or one with 4gb ram and 32 gb emmc.
    Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Blair County)

Default Re: computer question

Go with the bigger 64gb Hard Drive.
    How much ram does the 64GB have? 4GB also?
    Ram is Random Access Memory and is used on a temporary basis by your Operating system and programs. The more, the faster it will process and run.
    emmc is your hard drive where programs, data, photos, documents, etc. are STORED. The bigger, the more storage space.
    Most of the newer phones even come with 64GB of hard drive, so 32GB would fill up pretty quick.
    Just remember, most emmc hard drives are soldered to the motherboard and not replaceable or upgradeable.
    Last edited by HFultzjr; November 25th, 2020 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added info

(Cumberland County)

Thanks! Both have 4gm ram. And after re-reading specs I see it's an easy decision - both are 4gb ram and one has 32 emmc and the other has 64. I read them wrong the first time! Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Butler County)

I've had several chromebooks over the years - onboard storage isn't too critical with these guys, since you don't really store a lot of data on them. They're glorified web-browsing laptops, and integrate with your google account to store most data on your google drive. I'd always advise to get more if the price is worth it, but it's not *necessary*. CPU and RAM on these is everything, don't get a cheap Celeron or equivalent low-grade CPU or you'll hate this thing in under a year.
    -Brandon

(Mercer County)

Be aware google end support after set time period, after it expires you do not get any security or functionality updates.

(York County)

IME, the difference between "RAM" and "Storage" is far less important than it used to be when the 'storage' is EMMC or SSD Vs. old-school HDD 'mechanical' hard drive.

Plus as Pens87pgh says, if you're storing much of anything ON a Chromebook, you're doing it wrong.
    DGAF