Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On my own land

Default On my own land

Hey All,

So on roughly 25 acres that I own, but I'm not currently a resident in PA yet, can I target shoot , hunt(with an out of state license of course) on the land that I own. I'm in Jefferson county , I do have a rifle /shotgun and Hand gun license(residence only) for NYC. Basically I need to know what I can or can't do on my land without an issue.

thanks
    Spine

(Wayne County)

Default Re: On my own land

Spineshnk, I*d go to Jefferson twnshp building and ask the zoning officer what the rules are for shooting. As far hunting, kill em all legally that is. Get your out of state license and have at it.

(Berks County)

I expected that someone who knew would chime in by now. I am not 100% on it but I believe it has been discussed here before that if you take your tax bill with you you can get a LTCF in PA but like I said, I am not sure and I am not a lawer (IANAL around here). Qtrborecrazy gives good advice on check your zoning ordinance, mine is silent and the rules revert to hunting rules.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Sounds good , Thanks for the info guys.

Its in the Game laws, Build a back stop that will stop the bullets from traveling more than 15 yards behind it:
    Page 21
    During the open seasons for deer and bears, it is unlawful to
    shoot at any target other than legal game. Target shooting is
    lawful only when done: 1) on property owned by the shooter
    or by a guest of the property owner; 2) within 200 yards of a
    camp or headquarters where the shooter is either quartered or
    an invited guest; 3) at an established shooting range. The target
    must be protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the
    bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond it.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Qtrborecrazy gives good advice on check your zoning ordinance, mine is silent and the rules revert to hunting rules.
    I disagree with asking "local" authorities. Preemption applies, so if any state regulations (like the cited Game Law for target shooting) are complied with, counties and townships have no authority to further regulate.

IMO, land ownership along does not qualify one for a resident LTCF, and with the limitations on the OP's NY license, a sheriff may or may not accept that as meeting the statutory requirement for non-residents to hold a license from their home state. I don't have an opinion on the legality of either choice.

Also, absent a PA LTCF, the OP cannot legally conceal while "afield", even on his own property. He may do so "in his place of abode", which I'm assuming does not even exist.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I disagree with asking "local" authorities. Preemption applies, so if any state regulations (like the cited Game Law for target shooting) are complied with, counties and townships have no authority to further regulate.

IMO, land ownership along does not qualify one for a resident LTCF, and with the limitations on the OP's NY license, a sheriff may or may not accept that as meeting the statutory requirement for non-residents to hold a license from their home state. I don't have an opinion on the legality of either choice.

Also, absent a PA LTCF, the OP cannot legally conceal while "afield", even on his own property. He may do so "in his place of abode", which I'm assuming does not even exist.

Jefferson township is a little weird, good people up there but the politicians not so much. Reason to ask zoning officer is because he will be the one issuing fines. Spine wasn*t talking about LTCF, he wanted to know if he could hunt on his own property with non resident hunting license. If Spine wanted to strap a 44 magnum to his leg unconcealed and walk his property, what law would he be breaking? Of course Wolf with his executive state emergency BS is the only reason I see right now.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Jefferson township is a little weird, good people up there but the politicians not so much. Reason to ask zoning officer is because he will be the one issuing fines.
    Fines for what? Any locally enacted measure must exactly mirror state law. They have no authority of their own, so state law is what to look to. Zoning officers can't do squat if state law is not being violated.

Spine wasn*t talking about LTCF, he wanted to know if he could hunt on his own property with non resident hunting license.
    He ended his post by saying: "Basically I need to know what I can or can't do on my land without an issue.", which to me, is a broader question than the initial ones about hunting and target shooting, thus my expanded answer.

If Spine wanted to strap a 44 magnum to his leg unconcealed and walk his property, what law would he be breaking? Of course Wolf with his executive state emergency BS is the only reason I see right now.
    On private property, 6107 (SOE regs) doesn't apply. He *should* also be exempt from needing a license to conceal per 6106(b)(9) if he is actually hunting on that land, but by black letter law, if he's just up there for a stroll to look things over, he cannot legally conceal without a LTCF. With cold weather quickly approaching, "strapped to a leg unconcealed" can quickly and easily become "covered by a coat" without much thought.

Of course, then we also have the Superior court ruling that "Exceptions are really defenses, and must be raised in court." Not likely to happen, but a legitimately real possibility.

Odds of any of these issues are probably very low, but I think there is value in understanding the legal distinctions, as dumb as they may seem, since a conviction is enough to strip gun rights for life.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

A lot info/options here , and I’m very confused, lmao, I’ll have to talk to my neighbor and maybe the zoning officer, I really don’t want to get caught doing the wrong thing . Also i need to see about the ordinance with firearms, but I did hear gunfire the past 2 weekends when my sons and I were making some clearings .
    Thank you all

He said Jefferson COUNTY

Spine, are you out in the weeds?
    Welcome to PA and freedom
    You have 25 acres
    Can you see your neighbors houses?
    Make a big dirt pile where you wont be shooting at anyones house beyond the back stop.
    Be safe
    Shoot during reasonable hours
    Change your address to make Pa your legal place of residence
    You can Open carry on your property unless someone can prove a person from another state leaves their second amendment rights at the border regardless of their being on their OWN property in PA
    Get a Pa LTCf and you can conceal carry in Pa Buy guns, shoot on your land as you see fit
    Those gunshots you heard were other guys most likely doing the same thing; sighting in their deer rifles on a homemade backstop
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast