Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: PSP Handgun Database is not as complete as I thought it would be

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Remind the PSP they haven*t done their job if that record of sale hasn*t been filed , and is still sitting in a pile on Elmerton Ave. in Harrisburg after 18 months. *The law is 72 hours snapperheads; what the F#%* am I paying you jackbooted thugs for*?!?! SLAM!!!

Lucky they didn*t get shot at that hour...
    But that's just ONE of the many legal possibilities. It may have been sold out of state, and then came back in when the new owner moved here, or died and willed it to someone, etc.

That's the whole point. Having the ROS return a different name, or NO name means absolutely nothing and doesn't even suggest an illegal act, let alone create RAS of one.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I wouldn't even mind the inconvenience of a 3AM knock on the door with a valid concern; what bothers me is the lack of accountability to do the job the PSP are tasked to do, and how that lack of effort and oversight becomes someone else's knock at 3AM. If the state wants to maintain their "not a database" database, they need to step up their game and have info entered within the 72 hours the law requires, not 365 days later. Where is the accountability?
    Better yet, the state should at least be forced to abide by the law and destroy all records within 72 hours, entered or not, bringing their precious unconstitutional "not-a-registry" registry even further out of line with reality so that it crumbles into an even more useless heap and can be disbanded completely.

It shouldn't exist at all.

Want a database of stolen firearms that owners voluntarily report so they can be returned to their rightful owners? Fine. But that should be the end of gun registries + government.
    I am not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    But that's just ONE of the many legal possibilities. It may have been sold out of state, and then came back in when the new owner moved here, or died and willed it to someone, etc.

That's the whole point. Having the ROS return a different name, or NO name means absolutely nothing and doesn't even suggest an illegal act, let alone create RAS of one.
    100% this.

This is not an invite for a fishing expedition.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Want a database of stolen firearms that owners voluntarily report so they can be returned to their rightful owners? Fine. But that should be the end of gun registries + government.
    They have one of those. The NCIC is available to all cops to both enter and retrieve information about stolen firearms and other stolen goods. In the case of the OP, the police had no valid reason to believe the firearm was stolen just because they used their illegal registry and it didn't come back to the person in front of them.

I thought the PSP put out a document explaining that the ROS wasn't to be used that way. Apparently some troopers need further training.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Franklin County)

Busy night for the PSP. They had to check to see if the suspects watch was stolen, to see if his shoes were stolen, to see if his phone was stolen, etc.
    The Hostler

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Charges can always be added later, right? It sounds more like you were more interested in getting your own paper work done, than consideration for those you would be disturbing at 3am. In this particular case, the police have the firearm and the driver in custody. No more harm is going to come of waiting for a decent hour to investigate the status of the firearm.
    Am I trying to be more efficient, complete and streamlined by getting my paperwork done. Sure. For a minor arrest like mentioned it is harder to add charges. An agg assault to homicide charge, much easier. Not sure how it is in other places, but we work shift work and whatever platoon gets the assignment, completes the assignment. Different shifts and regular days off have to be considered.

What would be a decent hour in the above scenario? 7am, 8am, 9am, after the OP went to work and was no longer home?

(Philadelphia County)

I wouldn't even mind the inconvenience of a 3AM knock on the door with a valid concern; what bothers me is the lack of accountability to do the job the PSP are tasked to do, and how that lack of effort and oversight becomes someone else's knock at 3AM. If the state wants to maintain their "not a database" database, they need to step up their game and have info entered within the 72 hours the law requires, not 365 days later. Where is the accountability?
    You may be correct about the lack of effort and oversight of the ROS database, but all of that is above the pay grade of the two troopers trying to complete an investigation they were given.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post

When the person in possession at that time is prohibited, is sure does create RAS.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    They have one of those. The NCIC is available to all cops to both enter and retrieve information about stolen firearms and other stolen goods. In the case of the OP, the police had no valid reason to believe the firearm was stolen just because they used their illegal registry and it didn't come back to the person in front of them.

I thought the PSP put out a document explaining that the ROS wasn't to be used that way. Apparently some troopers need further training.
    How do you know that there wasn*t more to the stop ?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Busy night for the PSP. They had to check to see if the suspects watch was stolen, to see if his shoes were stolen, to see if his phone was stolen, etc.
    Just giving the taxpayers their money*s worth and earning their pension

Ironically I have used the same examples you mentioned above to other officers who want to run a gun to see if it is stolen !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast