Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: PSP Handgun Database is not as complete as I thought it would be

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    I can't see why "I sold it and here's proof" isn't OK to respond with before telling them to fuck off and get a warrant? I generally agree with giving police as little as possible to not self-incriminate, but this seems like a reasonable step to take?
    After 2300, not an active murder subject search and not have a warrent...yes it is.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Any department or agency that has the time (and inclination) to "make sure" of anything, absent RAS of a crime, has at least some room to be "defunded".

There are just as many potential legal explanations for what they discovered as there are possibilities of some criminal act, thus the (supposed) legal standards that exist to prevent this type of BS.
    Remind the PSP they haven’t done their job if that record of sale hasn’t been filed , and is still sitting in a pile on Elmerton Ave. in Harrisburg after 18 months. “The law is 72 hours snapperheads; what the F#%* am I paying you jackbooted thugs for”?!?! SLAM!!!

Lucky they didn’t get shot at that hour...
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by oneoclock View Post
    Apparently the PSP database of handgun purchases is not as complete as I thought it would be. If it was complete I wouldn't have had 2 PSP troopers banging on my door at 3:00 AM with questions about my ownership of a S&W (XXXXXX) pistol. "Yes, I did own one, but I sold it" . "Do you know who you sold it to?"

I produced the Bill of Sale. Apparently, the pistol was discovered in a "Vehicle stop". And they wanted to make sure it hadn't been stolen. What? Yeah, right.

I would think a good database would have shown they had no need to wake me up with questions like that.

1. So, if they knew about my purchase, why didn't they know about the second owner's purchase from me?
    2. Why are they investigating this at 3:00 AM?
    3. Why were they in a White Explorer? I thought all their cars were now Grey so they could hide better.
    Had something like this a year or so ago. DUI (with a substantial record) under arrest at 2 am with a firearm on him. ROS comes back to someone on the other end of the state, but not in stolen status. Processing detective sends out local PD to ask listed owner was his gun stolen (so the additional charge of RSP and/or theft could be added).

To answer your questions
    1. The ROS database is probably a year behind in entries. So depending when you sold it, it may not be entered yet.
    2. Because not all of us work 9a x 5p and things happen in the dead of the night.
    3. Are you really concerned about the color of the police car? Investigators usually use unmarked cars, so as not to draw as much attention of themselves at your residence.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Sadly, this is a good and legitimate question. @ 0300 I certainly wouldn't be too quick on my feet and I'll bet that they know that. I can't say what I would have done but a, "Please come back at a decent hour and I'll talk to you", would be in order.
    I have had to knock on doors at that hour to ask people if they knew where their car was.

I am glad to see how cooperative everyone on here is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I have had to knock on doors at that hour to ask people if they knew where their car was.

YOU NEED DEFUNDED!!!

LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

My car being in a bad predicament would be one thing and a question about gun ownership would be another. But that's just the way I see it as I'm laying in bed @ 0300. I dunno, maybe the detective who works the overnight shift just sees it as another day at work. If it's not urgent do you still go knocking at 0300?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My car being in a bad predicament would be one thing and a question about gun ownership would be another. But that's just the way I see it as I'm laying in bed @ 0300. I dunno, maybe the detective who works the overnight shift just sees it as another day at work. If it's not urgent do you still go knocking at 0300?
    When you have a running, unattended vehicle on the side of the road in the middle of the night or a prisoner waiting to be processed, but confirmation on firearm ownership is needed, it sort of is urgent to us or the assigned detective.

When I worked steady overnights, 2am was my 10am. Never thought I would be playing softball or stopping at a bar at 9am, but that was my 4pm.

(Lancaster County)

When you have a running, unattended vehicle on the side of the road in the middle of the night or a prisoner waiting to be processed, but confirmation on firearm ownership is needed, it sort of is urgent to us or the assigned detective.

When I worked steady overnights, 2am was my 10am. Never thought I would be playing softball or stopping at a bar at 9am, but that was my 4pm.
    Charges can always be added later, right? It sounds more like you were more interested in getting your own paper work done, than consideration for those you would be disturbing at 3am. In this particular case, the police have the firearm and the driver in custody. No more harm is going to come of waiting for a decent hour to investigate the status of the firearm.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Charges can always be added later, right? It sounds more like you were more interested in getting your own paper work done, than consideration for those you would be disturbing at 3am. In this particular case, the police have the firearm and the driver in custody. No more harm is going to come of waiting for a decent hour to investigate the status of the firearm.
    I wouldn't even mind the inconvenience of a 3AM knock on the door with a valid concern; what bothers me is the lack of accountability to do the job the PSP are tasked to do, and how that lack of effort and oversight becomes someone else's knock at 3AM. If the state wants to maintain their "not a database" database, they need to step up their game and have info entered within the 72 hours the law requires, not 365 days later. Where is the accountability?
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Lehigh County)

Back when I lived in Philly, we had just that happen, but at around midnight. My buddy who owned the car looked at the cops and answered it is parked right there and pointed to the street where the car WAS a couple of hours ago. It had been stolen and was wrecked about two blocks away. The good part is there were witnesses who described the driver and cohorts who ran away from the wreck and they were obviously NOT my friend. We had been imbibing choice adult beverages, so without that a DUI arrest may have been looming.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast