Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Home Defense Shotgun Light(Remington 870 20 gauge clone)

I have a 20 gauge Remington 870 clone, the H&R Pardner Pump. From what I understand, all 870 parts are supposed to be compatible with it. But being 20 gauge, certain things won't work unless they're made specifically for the 20 gauge version.

I was thinking I should probably attach some kind of light to my shotgun so I can see what the hell I'm shooting at in the middle of the night should I ever need to use it. I'm a cheapskate, and some of these lights are pretty expensive on their own, let alone the mounts for them, and my shotgun doesn't have any kind of rails. So I'm wondering, what can you guys recommend for someone on a REALLY low budget? I suppose I could always just rig a AA maglight to a hose clamp around the barrel, but I don't wanna go THAT cheap.

There are a few companies that make a flashlight that replaces the magazine cap, and I really like that idea in terms of maneuverability over having extra stuff hanging down or off to the side. But knowing that 20 gauge and 12 gauge are different diameters, I'm assuming the magazine tube and therefore magazine tube cap sizes are also different diameters, which means one of those lights isn't gonna work for me. Can anyone confirm or deny compatibility of magazine caps? Or is there anything out there that's similarly convenient and not crazy expensive(I saw some of these for 50 bucks) that WILL work on a 20 gauge 870? I also saw some forend replacements with lights built into them, but I have similar concerns there, and they're a little more pricey.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Home Defense Shotgun Light(Remington 870 20 gauge clone)

The 20 gauge and 12 gauge caps are in fact different diameters. The current cap doesn't need to be changed but you need the proper size wrench to remove the nut on the current forend. Magpul uses a sleeve to install a 12 gauge forend on 20 gauge tube.

At 8:10 in this video this man shows how to install a streamlight on a 20 gauge that had the magpul forend on it from the factory. As I mentioned magpul uses a sleeve to install the forend. Watch this and think about what options or lengths you will go to install a light. The most inexpensive is going to be a barrel clamp with a picatinny rail and a flashlight that has a rail mount as part of the housing. A remote switch pad is going to be another problem.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Beaver County)

I saw a forend for an 870 at tractor supply for $50 made by Treeline but it says 12 gauge ... I know there are some stock adapters made for 12 to 20 but I don't think there's such a thing for forends. Having said that, your next option would be a magazine tube/barrel clamp with a rail or something that goes behind the magazine cap if you don't use an extension (it doesn't sound like you do). I would suggest looking at the Streamlight 69906 mount. MidwayUSA has them for $17 and then you can save up to get a light. Here's the link and a copy of my review from a few years ago.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013275024

I intended to use this on my 870 originally but it positioned my TLR-1s too close to my hand, overlapping the forend. I kept hitting my thumb off of it when I was shooting so I took it off BUT if you have the NEW 870 with the extended one-piece magazine, you will probably love this. If your magazine cap is further away from the forend, you won't have the problem I had. Anyway, I decided to try it on the 930 and it fits perfectly. I measured it, it actually positions the light closer to my body than the 870 does by a couple of inches (15" away from trigger on 930, 18" on 870) but I don't reach out as far on the handguard with a semi auto so it works out great. As for the quality of it, it's a solid piece of steel with a polymer rail riveted onto it. I can't imagine I would ever be able to break it. What I think I like most about it is that it adds no time to disassembly of the weapon and doesn't need to clamp on to the magazine and barrel and inevitably destroy the finish underneath it. My only criticism is that the rail is intended to point toward the operator, not the muzzle and it positions the light too close on my 870. Otherwise, it's a great mount.

(Beaver County)

As for the budget thing and what people subjectively consider "expensive", you can't take back a shot and the $100ish you'd spend on a good light like a TLR1 or PL2 is very replaceable