Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Slide Won’t Lock Back

Yeah, I had nothing but a bad day at the range yesterday obviously. I did notice on one of my guns, the Taurus 809B that nine times out of 10 the slide does not lock back after the last round. I found that with multiple magazines all Taurus. What gives? Also, sometimes the slide automatically went forward when I put a new magazine in which kind of concerns me with slam fires?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Slide Won’t Lock Back

Slam fires are a firing pin/striker issue. Slide not locking is probably a bad slide stop or spring.

It could also be underpowered ammo or a poor grip not letting the slide go back far enough, or in the case of the slide going forward with a mag insert, it might be that it just barely caught the slide stop and the jostling of the magazine caused it to release.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of that firearm, but with the slide off, moving the slide stop, it should have spring tension holding it down. The magazine interfaces with it at the follower and overcomes the downward force with its internal spring.

-Zach

Now ya just gotta know this is gonna turn into a Taurus bashing thread!

Process of elimination , step 1. Take the slide/barrel off , replace the slide lock and notice how the EMPTY magazines follower tab hits the slide lock when in place.

Does the slide lock pivot free with no mag? Does it 'lift' when the magazine follower tab hits it?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Now ya just gotta know this is gonna turn into a Taurus bashing thread!

Process of elimination , step 1. Take the slide/barrel off , replace the slide lock and notice how the EMPTY magazines follower tab hits the slide lock when in place.

Does the slide lock pivot free with no mag? Does it 'lift' when the magazine follower tab hits it?
    Yes to both of your questions. I put the magazine in and I can see it push-up on the slide lock. I mean, that slide lock doesn*t move a ton but it does move with and without a magazine but again when I insert the magazine it pushes up on it and engages with the follower technically technically should hold the slide back.

(Allegheny County)

Does it lock back when you just hand cycle it with an empty mag?

Slide auto forwarding is kind of typical behavior for a lot of handguns when you slam in the magazine. HK USPs and SW M&Ps are kind of known for this. I wouldn't rely on it to reload, but it does tend to happen.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Does it lock back when you just hand cycle it with an empty mag?

Slide auto forwarding is kind of typical behavior for a lot of handguns when you slam in the magazine. HK USPs and SW M&Ps are kind of known for this. I wouldn't rely on it to reload, but it does tend to happen.
    I have four different magazines and none of them lock back as you asked when empty hand inserted in and racking the slide.

(Chester County)

Gunowner, have you considered contacting Taurus customer service to open up a service ticket?

I had a positive experience with Sig Sauer CS a few years ago and my neighbor recently sent her G3 back to Taurus for a magazine release issue that they corrected. They returned her G3 (fixed) in 5 weeks, which wasn't too bad given the times we are in.

(Berks County)

Yup, I*ll do that. Feel like it*s always been this way. Don*t shoot it much. More of a small inconvenience than anything but I*ll give them a ring. Just seeing if it was a quick fix that I could correct.

(Beaver County)

Has it just started doing that? If you aren't getting failures to feed then you probably have proper spring tension and I wouldn't blame the magazines. If you manually lock the slide back, and put an empty magazine in, is any part of the slide stop on the inside of the frame touching the follower of the magazine? There should be a catch on the inside that gets pushed up by the follower when the magazine runs dry and it sounds like yours may have snapped off. Either that or the slide stop spring has broken or worked itself loose from where it's supposed to be.

(Berks County)

Yes, the follower pushes up on the slide release. It*s definitely there. Think it has always done this and I never cared much. The spring has tension for the slide stop as well.