Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Fatal Accidental Shooting at NY USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    The hierarchy of safety controls are, in order: eliminate/substitute the hazard, engineering controls, procedural controls and finally PPE.

We like guns and don't want to use airsoft so substitution/elimination is out. Engineering controls are design features like trigger safeties and firing pin blocks. Procedural controls in this situation (besides the standard gun handling rules) are to be careful not to drop a loaded gun. PPE in this situation is body armor I suppose.

Anyway, my point is that engineering controls are typically more reliable than procedural controls. Engineering controls don't rely on the human element nearly as much.

I was not aware the Shadow 2 didn't have a FP block... I would imagine the lack of this feature will end up as one of the root causes of this unfortunate accident.

But also I'm not sure why the hammer was down. The Shadow should normally be carried cocked and locked. Did the competitor lower the hammer on a live round?
    Certain divisions (like Production) require you to start hammer down.

(Lycoming County)

The hierarchy of safety controls are, in order: eliminate/substitute the hazard, engineering controls, procedural controls and finally PPE.

We like guns and don't want to use airsoft so substitution/elimination is out. Engineering controls are design features like trigger safeties and firing pin blocks. Procedural controls in this situation (besides the standard gun handling rules) are to be careful not to drop a loaded gun. PPE in this situation is body armor I suppose.

Anyway, my point is that engineering controls are typically more reliable than procedural controls. Engineering controls don't rely on the human element nearly as much.

I was not aware the Shadow 2 didn't have a FP block... I would imagine the lack of this feature will end up as one of the root causes of this unfortunate accident.

But also I'm not sure why the hammer was down. The Shadow should normally be carried cocked and locked. Did the competitor lower the hammer on a live round?
    Depending on division in uspsa, if the gun is double action, you have to start with the hammer down. Lowering the hammer was done pointed down range I'm sure or it might have been a varient with a decocker.

(Bucks County)

I guess you took the OSHA 30 course?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Certain divisions (like Production) require you to start hammer down.
    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Depending on division in uspsa, if the gun is double action, you have to start with the hammer down. Lowering the hammer was done pointed down range I'm sure or it might have been a varient with a decocker.
    Got it, thanks. I think most CZs have a quarter cock notch so I wonder if that broke from the fall (I think a previous post mentioned this). I do know the decocker-equipped CZs decock to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    I guess you took the OSHA 30 course?
    Nope just industry experience. Everything I mentioned can be applied to tons of examples in regular life so I usually think this way.

(Montgomery County)

Got it, thanks. I think most CZs have a quarter cock notch so I wonder if that broke from the fall (I think a previous post mentioned this). I do know the decocker-equipped CZs decock to that point.

Nope just industry experience. Everything I mentioned can be applied to tons of examples in regular life so I usually think this way.
    Bit of a common sense approach to life really, when looked at with a rational mind.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Bit of a common sense approach to life really, when looked at with a rational mind.
    The first paragraph of his statement is almost word for word out of osha 30.

safety controls are, in order: eliminate/substitute the hazard, engineering controls, procedural controls and finally PPE.

(Montgomery County)

safety controls are, in order: eliminate/substitute the hazard, engineering controls, procedural controls and finally PPE.
    I'm aware. Lol
    Those classes suck.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I'm aware. Lol
    Those classes suck.
    Makes for a long week

(Montgomery County)

That's pretty funny. I assure you it was purely off of memory!

(Bucks County)

A battle is in the future. Attorneys with "no such thing as an accident" evaluations of the matter. Others addressing the defective mechanism allowing a drop-fire. ANY alteration to the gun...even if just a change in handgrip panels of none-OEM source....leading to the dropping. Feel sorry for the holster manufacture who failed to install a tactile device warning that the holster has been missed. All that and more, presented to a jury, half of whom feel that's what you get for playing with guns.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast