Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Massively Low Shooting!

There are two issues: laser mounting/adjustment, and trigger control. It’s unclear whether one or both is involved.

As to mounting you need to be sure you have the correct laser and mount for your firearm. If the mounting is way off, you may not be able to adjust the laser to compensate. After that, coarse sight adjustment is stupid easy: just move the laser to meet the sight picture. Then it can be fine tuned.

Trigger control is something you can diagnose yourself. If you group well with iron sights, your problem is most likely not trigger control.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Gotcha, I have a laser grip for my 637 snubby. I shot it with the sights. It was fairly accurate. Then I adjusted the laser to the sights. That seemed to help. This was at about 7 yards. Once adjusted, the snubby was very accurate at the 50 ft range. (More than with the irons and my eyes). It was fun to shoot with the laser after that. Perhaps the mount is a little off so that the laser sight adjustment isn*t there to get you on target?
    I have the same gun with the Crimson Trace laser grip and it's off axis in both elevation and azimuth so I picked up a .38 laser bore sight and merged the 2 red dots at 10 yards, my usual shooting distance.
    NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Gonna try out some of the advice and see where I net out. I think I was just getting frustrated and out of practice and threw all fundamentals out the window, bad move.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    When I first used one, I found using lasers made my shooting a lot worse. It's like taking a scoped gun and zooming in at a target way too close. Your shakiness is way more evident than when using iron sights (or zooming out), and then you end up slapping the trigger at the moment everything seems to line up.

I seem to be better with them now, but for most shooting I'd much rather use iron sights or optical sights of some sort. The only time I could see a laser being helpful is if you're shooting around obstacles where aiming down a sight is harder, or if you're wearing something like a gas mask.
    Same thing when using a red dot. You can see how steady you you are or aren't holding on your target. But you sure can tell where you'll hit when you squeeze the trigger.

(Berks County)

Concentration.

If you are concentrated on aim you shouldn't be anticipating the shot.

Its simple if you let it.

You ought to be living on that front sight or dot.

All of you. Mentally.

You can't hit a baseball if you don't look the ball into the bat.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Practicing with a .38 Spec S&W revolver for PPC, I had left POIs shooting left-handed barricade. Consistently. So consistently, I almost decided to settle for a Kentucky windage answer to the problem, as has been suggested by some here. But I knew it was something I was doing wrong, and didn't give in. Eventually, I got it under control. With practice. Practice is not always the answer, though. Always stay alert for reinforcing a bad habit with practice.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

Dropping you hand when squeezing trigger will do it every time. Try dry firing exercises to help maintain sight picture during trigger squeeze.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

What really helped me with anticipating shots was going very slow with the trigger pull. Any time I noticed myself tensing up, I would ease off the trigger, take a slow breath and relax and then start gently taking up tension on the trigger until it fired as a 'surprise.'

There is no rush. Just keep doing that until you aren't anticipating any more. Took me about half an hour the first time I tried this method until I could reliably fire without flinching or anticipating. Made shooting more enjoyable too. I'll still occasionally need to do it if I'm a little out of practice.

For your consideration: Stabilize Your Firing Grip with the Wedge Hold - Massad Ayoob on Master Class Ep. 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsdiP-M5O8g

Rick

(Berks County)

Working on it all. I appreciate all of the tips!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast