Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Massively Low Shooting!

Next time you shoot, if you can squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber or spent shell while holding the laser steady on target. I’ve also done dry fire at home with the laser on the wall trying to keep it from moving at all through the trigger pull. It’ll help steady out your trigger pull. Hopefully keep a flinch if there is one out of the first shot at least

PickingPA Guest

Aim higher

(Berks County)

Aim higher? Well that*s a temp fix. Need to permanently fix my droop.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Elk County)

You droopy down dipper!

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Erie County)

Good video: Hickok45 on trigger control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xa5JPLGIsU

(Allegheny County)

When I first used one, I found using lasers made my shooting a lot worse. It's like taking a scoped gun and zooming in at a target way too close. Your shakiness is way more evident than when using iron sights (or zooming out), and then you end up slapping the trigger at the moment everything seems to line up.

I seem to be better with them now, but for most shooting I'd much rather use iron sights or optical sights of some sort. The only time I could see a laser being helpful is if you're shooting around obstacles where aiming down a sight is harder, or if you're wearing something like a gas mask.

(Schuylkill County)

I would be surprised if dry fire helped much with a flinching problem. I used to flinch like crazy, and these days I still flinch sometimes - especially on rapid fire drills.

I could dry fire all day with a coin balanced on the front sight, but it didn't help me with flinching because I knew there wasn't a live round. The only things that helped me were more rounds down range, and ball and dummy drills. If you're not familiar, ball and dummy drills are where you load some live rounds and dummy rounds randomly mixed in your mag. Fire a couple mags like that at each range session.

When I started doing that, I bought box of 50 Glock brand dummy rounds, as they are much cheaper than buying a ton of the expensive aluminum ones.

Let's break this down:
    1. You are shooting a DA/SA 9mm semi-automatic handgun.

2. It's a less expensive model which means a lot of times the trigger pull can be less than spectacular. Its designed to be reliable, not refined.

3. It sounds like you are "pushing the gun" which means you are flinching in anticipation of recoil.

4. A heavy trigger pull in DA especially (likely in your case) along with heavy recoil (not likely in your case) will encourage flinching and anticipation of the shot.

5. Leave the laser out of the equation, for starters, and get your shots on target with iron sights.

6. Compare your DA and SA shots. See if you are more accurate on the shorter, lighter SA trigger pull. Take your time. Squeeze the SA trigger slowly. When the shot breaks, it should be a surprise. If you are shooting a long time, rest your arms (not your hands and not the gun) on a backpack or something that won't scratch you up.

7. Dry fire. Dryfire a lot. MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS EMPTY. Move ammunition to another room, while you dry fire.

8. If your slide is flat on top, an old school trick is to rest a coin on top of the slide. Pull the trigger ON AN EMPTY GUN. The coin should stay in place. Start by doing this with the SA trigger pull. When you are able to stay on target in SA, then start practicing in DA. TAKE YOUR TIME. Good repetitions are your friend, bad repetitions are useless. Have someone watch you. Laser training cartridges are a great training tool you can use at this step, also. Use on SA and also on DA.

9. After you learn successfully to dry fire without dipping the gun, then return to the range and repeat the same drills with a loaded firearm. This is when Ball and Dummy drills are a good idea.

10. After you get consistent and accurate with your iron sights, install the laser.

11. Install the laser at home, and with AN UNLOADED GUN activate the laser and look where it hits a target on the wall, relative to iron sight. I would recommend you adjust the laser so when you look through the irons the laser dot sits on top of the front sight, like a lowercase "i".

12. Try and sight in the laser to the handgun at about 7 yards. This is a standard established for defensive shooting. A laser on target at 7 yards should be "good enough" for hits from 0 to 20 yards.

13. If you are not being successful at any point, have another (preferably more experienced) shooter repeat the drill that isn't going well, with your pistol. See if they have different results.

14. Some guns have sloppy manufacturing, or problems from the factory, or problems from a previous owner. I am an experienced pistol shooter. I bought a Walther P38 police surplus handgun that shot 8" low. Out the door it went.

15. Inexpensive lasers can be a problem also. Crimson Trace, Surefire, Streamlight are some of the good guys. Many of the less expensive brands are junk. If you are doing well with irons and struggling with the laser, this may be the problem. Many inexpensive lasers will break due to recoil. They can lose their zero (wander off of where you set them to) or just not function at all.

16. If you get your laser sighted in and it holds its zero, you need to "train your brain" to use one sighting method or another. Because I have so many repetitions with iron sights, lasers screw me up. I keep trying to aim the irons at the laser dot, which slows me down with no benefit.

17. Even if you have a reliable laser that is sighted in properly, you still need to practice with iron. Tech has a nasty habit of breaking when you need it most. Also in bright light the laser dot can be difficult to pick up with the.eye. So you need to master both.

Good luck!
    Last edited by chauncey; November 22nd, 2020 at 08:07 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Some thoughts:

Make sure your not pulling the trigger at the bottom of the trigger, that can cause a barrel dip due to the extra leverage. Scoot your finger up against the frame.

Also, shoot a grouping no laser, just irons.
    Confirm accuracy.
    Turn laser on, shoot another grouping on iron sights. While gun is empty and being aimed via irons, check laser alignment. Adjust until the laser is pointed where your rounds hit when aimed off iron sights.

Shoot another group using irons laser on. Make sure everything matches.

Now shoot a laser only group without irons/not looking down sights." Hip fire "

The laser is for when you are unable to get an accurate sight picture, like at night when you cannot see your sights.

The beauty of the laser is that you dont have to look down the barrel to be accurate, just know where its pointing. Dont fight it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast