Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Too Much Muzzle Flash

Hello. I've been reloading 9mm 115gr. FMJ RN using WSF with good success. I've heard so many great things about Alliant Power Pistol so ran out and bought 1 pound and did the work up. Even at minimum charge the sound, kick & MUZZLE FLASH was the same as a cannon! Wow. I tried this stuff to see if I could get a bit more accuracy with the higher velocity. Couldn't tell any difference because I was so distracted by the ball of fire during every shot. Any suggestions on powders that offer higher velocities without the flash?

Thanks.
    Last edited by AmmoParks; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Punctuation

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Too Much Muzzle Flash

Your Winchester WSF powder is rated slower on the burn rate charts than Alliant Power Pistol. At MidwayUSA the Alliant Power Pistol in the reviews had 3 or 4 people complaining of excessive muzzle flash.

The Sierra manual lists Tight group as its accuracy load and it is a faster burning powder than Power Pistol or WSF.

I just checked my old 9mm load data and the last time at the range I was using Bluedot without any ill effects.

As a side note one of the old gun writers and ex-lawman said to use faster burning powders for your carry ammunition. He said with the slower powders you were blinded the first shot in a night fight.

(Montgomery County)

I'm using 5.6-5.7gr Unique for Berry 115 RN @ 1.135-1.14 w/CCI-500. Still trying to zero in on which AOL works best but I'm happy with the results so far. Plus the powder fills the case up well without any compression. There's probably just as much flash as factory brands but I wouldn't say any worse. Please keep in mind I'm a novice. I haven't tried a whole lot of configs.

bigedp,

I read those reviews but I honestly didn't think the flash and bang was going to be as much as it was. No biggie, personally, I don't mind it but it did cause a visit from the range boss to see what I was shooting! I'll go back to max load WSF and only use the Power Pistol for outdoor range shooting.

(Northampton County)

I use PP for my wife's 9mm with 115, 124, and 147gr and have not noticed any significant amount of flash.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

I like RedDot for 9mm and .380 loads.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Too Much Muzzle Flash

i use alot of bullseye and unique. tried hp38 in .40 cal. got good results but have,nt tried it in 9mm yet. might be worth a try.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    i use alot of bullseye and unique. tried hp38 in .40 cal. got good results but have,nt tried it in 9mm yet. might be worth a try.
    HP38 (231 same thing different can) is a good moderate power 9mm powder. Also, it is fine grained and meters well. I load thousands of 9mm a year and that is my go to powder just now, under a 124 Berrys Plated RN I'm using 4.5 gr, makes minor and that is what I need.
    Last edited by Rundownfid; July 1st, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: mis-typed 3 now reas 4