Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mature Female carry weapon

Hey wifey just passed her FL basic handgun course. Although she has shot before it’s a must for obtaining the weapons carry permit in FL.
    Anyway...some arthritis so she qualified with a glove on her wracking/support hand. Thinks she wants a semi-auto, I’md rather she goes to a .38/.357 LCR. But I tell everyone else you cannot rightfully choose a gun for someone else. It’s all in their hand strength the size of their hands the site picture they hope to get and of course gun handling. I’ve heard some thing about the semi autos from Smith & Wesson they’re called EZ?
    Anyone?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Mature Female carry weapon

I seriously recommend going to a range that rents so that she can see for herself if she can operate a number of different slides.

They will very well likely have some wheel guns to try.

Not sure what part of FL you're in, but I know there were at least (2) indoor ranges around Tampa that rented guns. One was on Dale Mabry, the other on US301.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

My wife has the S&W 380 EZ.. because she also has issues with both her wrist.. Its VERY EASY to rack. shoots softer than a 9mm (I didn't think the 9mm EZ was that much EZer to rack than a lot of other 9mms) only complaint I see often is that it has a grip safety .. Hasn't been an issue.. I like it and would carry it if she let me lol .
    Biggest issue right now is finding 380 ammo that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
    Last edited by JDA58; November 19th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    My wife has the S&W 380 EZ.. because she also has issues with both her wrist.. Its VERY EASY to rack. shoots softer than a 9mm (I didn't think the 9mm EZ was that much EZer to rack that a lot of other 9mms) only complaint I see often is that it has a grip safety .. Hasn't been an issue.. I like it and would carry it if she let me lol .
    Biggest issue right now is finding 380 ammo that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
    +1 for S&W M&P .380 EZ

(Montgomery County)

Haven't used one, but everything I've heard points towards the M&P Shield EZ in either caliber.

Another option would be the Walther CCP which has a system that makes it easier to rack. There are also techniques you can employ to put more strength into a rack, namely to launch forward like a punch with your dominant gun hand, and yank back like you are getting a lawnmower started with the other.

(Lycoming County)

Good points from everyone and I'd say the 380 ez is probably a great option. It was designed with new shooters and shooters with hand strength issues in mind. Any 380 with a locked/semi locked breach would be a good option to try actually. Other than the ones mentioned, the Beretta 84 comes to mind as well.

I would avoid the light weight snubby idea for someone with a hand strength issue. I have the LCR in 357 and it has some decent recoil with 38's. It's downright belligerent with full house 357 and hurts my hand after a few rounds. Most of the light weight snubbies are going to recoil pretty hard and have a heavy trigger pull. Combine that with sparse sights and your setting a new shooter up for problems from the start IMHO.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Haven't used one, but everything I've heard points towards the M&P Shield EZ in either caliber.

Another option would be the Walther CCP which has a system that makes it easier to rack. There are also techniques you can employ to put more strength into a rack, namely to launch forward like a punch with your dominant gun hand, and yank back like you are getting a lawnmower started with the other.
    Wanted to look at a Walther CCP , as I heard good about them & also as far as easy to rack.. but couldn't find any in stock to check out personally ...

" also techniques you can employ to put more strength into a rack, namely to launch forward like a punch with your dominant gun hand, and yank back like you are getting a lawnmower " We tried a number of different techniques(GUN RACKING LOL ) ....it was not a pretty sight.. the EZ fixed that

(Northampton County)

Get the EZ shield performance center model , better trigger, better sights ,night sights as well ported barrel which is not needed, but it comes standard. S&W hit that model out of the park!
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Get the EZ shield performance center model , better trigger, better sights ,night sights as well ported barrel which is not needed, but it comes standard. S&W hit that model out of the park!
    I agree with all of the other posts as well on the S&W shield EZ. My wife loved the performance center version of the .380. We put it on order 3 months ago. Still waiting for it! Be nice if it came in for Christmas.

(Allegheny County)

the EZ also has added a Mag loading assist button making loading the mag much easier and the slide has a small "LIP" at the very end of the slide making gripping the slide better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast