Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Second rifle/upper after 556 - 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, or ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    There is good information in the 5.56 vs. 300blk thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=364152
    Unfortunately the thread devolved into a pissing contest, but still, there is a lot of good info.
    Agree on both points: seems to be the downside of semianonymous forums these days. People losing their manners of minor differences of opinion. And the trolls that lurk everywhere.

As for the thread topic: I bought a .350 Legend upper a few months back. Can't say I was disappointed by it, just a niche caliber designed specifically for medium/large game in locales where the straight wall case rule is applied to allow hunting where it used to be shotgun only.
    Like the caliber. Very similar in performance to the old .35 Remington which is one of the those classic hunting cartridges for short (ish) ranges in woods/brush conditions.

I personally will eventually go with a three caliber triad to make my AR platform as close to universal for all situations: 5.56mm/6.5mmG/.350 Legend. The nice thing is while you may make different choices on which uppers you want, there is something for you out there.

IMO:
    Hunting: 6.5 Grendel or 350 Legend, depending where you plan to go. I would also say 450 Bushmaster but I think there is a specialized upper involved (?)

Distance/Accuracy: .224 Valkyrie or 6mm ARC. 6.5 Grendel also

Suppressor: 300 Whisper, so 300 Blackout

Action shooting: purpose built 5.56 or a 9mm PCC

(Bucks County)

Since no one has mentioned it.... I*m a big fan of the 6.8 SPC II but will confess.... the 6.5 Grendel has a slight edge at medium ranges, and is better at maximum range.... but for most people.... the difference is minor..... I have both... and like them both.....
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    IMO:
    Hunting: 6.5 Grendel or 350 Legend, depending where you plan to go. I would also say 450 Bushmaster but I think there is a specialized upper involved (?)

Distance/Accuracy: .224 Valkyrie or 6mm ARC. 6.5 Grendel also

Suppressor: 300 Whisper, so 300 Blackout

Action shooting: purpose built 5.56 or a 9mm PCC
    Good summary!

I would lean towards a 458 SOCOM over the 450 Bushmaster. With either one, a dedicated upper is needed, which is not a big deal. The SOCOM has the advantage that it was designed for/by the military for use with standard lower & mil spec magazines. Your 20 round 5.56 mag turns into a 7 round SOCOM mag (and a 30 rounder to a 10 rounder). Talk about suppressed fun with a real deer slayer. 500 grain bullet & 1050 fps (1225 ft.lbs.) - even without any expansion pokes a big f'in hole.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Good summary!

I would lean towards a 458 SOCOM over the 450 Bushmaster. With either one, a dedicated upper is needed, which is not a big deal. The SOCOM has the advantage that it was designed for/by the military for use with standard lower & mil spec magazines. Your 20 round 5.56 mag turns into a 7 round SOCOM mag (and a 30 rounder to a 10 rounder). Talk about suppressed fun with a real deer slayer. 500 grain bullet & 1050 fps (1225 ft.lbs.) - even without any expansion pokes a big f'in hole.

Agree that 458 SOCOM vs. 450 Bushmaster vs. 50 Beowolf is a separate conversation entirely, and I am not qualified to comment on a comparison of the 3!

Remember, sometimes the ammo you can find, influences the choice.

Where I live, 450BM is by far the most available, and as a straight wall cartridge, eligible for hunting use.

YMMV

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Agree that 458 SOCOM vs. 450 Bushmaster vs. 50 Beowolf is a separate conversation entirely, and I am not qualified to comment on a comparison of the 3!

Remember, sometimes the ammo you can find, influences the choice.

Where I live, 450BM is by far the most available, and as a straight wall cartridge, eligible for hunting use.

YMMV
    Good points.

If you need straight wall then choose accordingly.

Ammo availability means brass availability. I would never consider getting a cartridge that
    I did not have (or cannot get) dies & brass for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12