Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Pa resident w/ LTCF crossing De state line

I live in Pa right on the De state line and some times cross into De. Since i cannot get a licence for CCW in De and open carry is legal, what should i do when i cross the line?
    I know if im in my car its technically concealed so do i have to pull over and put my gun in the trunk and grab it when i get out of the car? or just the mag? i saw some info that it could be on the dash or passenger seat in open view but can it be loaded? Can i even open carry in De since im not a resident?
    any ideas or does anyone have experiance with this?

Default Re: Pa resident w/ LTCF crossing De state line

Obtain a Utah permit.

Rick

Place the gun on the dash or on the passenger seat. Yes it can be loaded it, you don't have to be a resident to OC here.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    Obtain a Utah permit.

Rick

+1. Get a Utah permit and don't worry about being concealed or not...you'd be totally legal either way.

(Delaware County)

My job takes me to Delaware once a week, I got the Utah CWP for that reason. I also remember reading somewhere that you can carry a loaded gun in a car in De as long as it's in plain view, IIRC that poster had made a dashboard holster just for that purpose.

Check out the Delaware Open Carry website here:

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/index.php

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
    I live in Pa right on the De state line and some times cross into De. Since i cannot get a licence for CCW in De and open carry is legal, what should i do when i cross the line?
    I know if im in my car its technically concealed so do i have to pull over and put my gun in the trunk and grab it when i get out of the car? or just the mag? i saw some info that it could be on the dash or passenger seat in open view but can it be loaded? Can i even open carry in De since im not a resident?
    any ideas or does anyone have experiance with this?
    This thread is slightly disturbing - handguns in cars are not "technically concealed." If you wear them openly visible to common observation while in a car they are openly carried.

Why does this myth that guns in cars are "concealed' persist?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This thread is slightly disturbing - handguns in cars are not "technically concealed." If you wear them openly visible to common observation while in a car they are openly carried.

Why does this myth that guns in cars are "concealed' persist?

Probably because in PA a firearm inside a car is concealed, even if completely visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Probably because in PA a firearm inside a car is concealed, even if completely visible.
    No, that is the myth I am talking about. In PA a state statute makes it unlawful to "carry" a handgun in a vehicle absent as LTCF or other enumerated exception.

There is no statutory or common law authority stating that guns in cars are "concealed."

People need to stop spreading the muth as it is confusing people like the poster above when they do to states where gun laws are less draconian that PA's.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No, that is the myth I am talking about. In PA a state statute makes it unlawful to "carry" a handgun in a vehicle absent as LTCF or other enumerated exception.

There is no statutory or common law authority stating that guns in cars are "concealed."

People need to stop spreading the muth as it is confusing people like the poster above when they do to states where gun laws are less draconian that PA's.

How is it a myth? In PA, open carrying doesn't require a LTCF (except in Philly, but that's a whole other issue). Only concealed carry requires a license. If carrying openly in car was considered to be open carrying, then a LTCF wouldn't be required to do so. Since you must have a license to do so, it's considered to be concealed.

Obviously, state law varies, and some states don't have laws against open carrying in a vehicle like PA. I would hardly call PA gun laws draconian though. Compared to the majority of states out there, we have it pretty damn good here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    How is it a myth? In PA, open carrying doesn't require a LTCF (except in Philly, but that's a whole other issue). Only concealed carry requires a license. If carrying openly in car was considered to be open carrying...
    It's basically semantics. Only concealed carry and car carry require an LTCF. In PA law, the two are lumped together. But does that make them "the same thing"? We can obviously talk about "open" or "concealed" car carry, and we'd all understand what we're talking about. But under PA law, all car carry requires an LTCF, just like concealed carry.

In Ohio, until recently, "open car carry" was allowed but "concealed car carry" was forbidden, even with a permit. Which in practice meant that all guns in cars have to be on the dashboard, at least when a copper is standing there.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast