Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 270 win load data - nossler 140gr ballistic tip

Ran into a guy today while I was shooting/zeroing in the deer rifle on hawk mountain that recommended 140gr nossler ballistic tips. I’ve been wanting to shoot some factory nossler stuff but it’s impossible to find so I grabbed the goodies to load tonight at Cabelas...

The goal is sub MOA from a Mossberg Patriot at 3000fps max (based off of factory 130gr being 3060-3080fps). 22” 1:10 barrel. Nossler states I can push 3200fps out of this bullet.

Couple questions: does brass actually matter? I have a mix bag of once fired stuff to reload (federal/Winchester/Remington mainly)

For 270 Win the book says large rifle primer is what I want to use, but I’ve been reading a lot of guys use large magnum rifle primers. What would be the best option for primers?

Powder I’m looking at imr 4350 or 4831 to start with, does anyone have any suggestions to something else that’ll get me To my goal?

I’m already able to push sub MOA with Hornady American whitetail 130gr interlock and Winchester 130gr PowerPoint. 150gr gets me MOA when I do my part...

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: 270 win load data - nossler 140gr ballistic tip

I also shoot 270 win. I have used Nosler ballistic tips in 130 gr. with imr 4831 since day one. very accurate .

(Susquehanna County)

Go here, all hte data you could want. https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/270-winchester/

or here if you really want something different. BTW my loads with MRP for 6.5 X 55 outperform tabulated data. https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-...270-winchester

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Thanks guys. Talked with my NRA instructor today about this (he does a class on reloading).

I have the same load data you posted brick, and looked at those same guides on Nosler website (it’s the same one printed in the orange book I grabbed at cabelas). What threw me off is they list the loads with Nosler brass and Fed210 primers. I suppose that’s a good starting point, just wondering how much of a difference it’ll make not using Nosler brass.

Probably going to end up using 4831/4831sc/4350 powder depending on what I can get locally in a 1lb tub. Primers it was suggested to use federal 210(as the book says), cci 200, or Winchester, and from what Matt said brass won’t matter much as long as I’m necking and trimming the cases properly. I’m curious though about using magnum primers. From what I’m reading it can net me an extra 25fps or so with less powder charge. Can anyone confirm?

3000fps seems like I may be pushing it with 140gr, haven’t shot that weight yet. I’m not sure how this rifle will shoot 140 either, does great with 130 and MOA with 150. Trial and error I suppose. My shoulder is going to hate me 🤣

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Thanks guys. Talked with my NRA instructor today about this (he does a class on reloading).

I have the same load data you posted brick, and looked at those same guides on Nosler website (it*s the same one printed in the orange book I grabbed at cabelas). What threw me off is they list the loads with Nosler brass and Fed210 primers. I suppose that*s a good starting point, just wondering how much of a difference it*ll make not using Nosler brass.

Probably going to end up using 4831/4831sc/4350 powder depending on what I can get locally in a 1lb tub. Primers it was suggested to use federal 210(as the book says), cci 200, or Winchester, and from what Matt said brass won*t matter much as long as I*m necking and trimming the cases properly. I*m curious though about using magnum primers. From what I*m reading it can net me an extra 25fps or so with less powder charge. Can anyone confirm?

3000fps seems like I may be pushing it with 140gr, haven*t shot that weight yet. I*m not sure how this rifle will shoot 140 either, does great with 130 and MOA with 150. Trial and error I suppose. My shoulder is going to hate me ��
    I bought a chronograph early on , it is the way to go. The thing that surprised me was the differences from round to round on a box of factory bought ammo .

I should’ve gotten the guy at the ranges contact info. He said he used to shoot long range silhouette with the 270/140gr combo im working on...

Thinking about picking up some Lehigh defense controlled chaos heads to play with also.