Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Counted my bulk 5.56 ammo today

Recently i made a purchase of 600 rounds of Winchester M855 5.56. They ship in 200 round "range packs" which are just cardboard boxes with loose ammo inside and 2 pieces of tape keeping it all honest.

I had nothing better going on today so i counted out the rounds in each box. Spoiler alert, all 3 boxes came up short.

2 of the 3 boxes were missing 2 rounds each and the third box was missing 4 rounds.

So... As i see it, one of three things happened.

1. The counting machine (be it by quantity or weight) is off at Winchester. This wouldn't surprise me. I use counting machines at work and it doesn't take much to throw the numbers off. For example, if the scale isn't level or the load isn't balanced.

2. They are knowingly shorting a few rounds in each box to produce more boxes to sell. I certainly hope this isn't the case. I don't want to point fingers like this without solid proof.

Or

3. Somebody at the retail level is taking a few rounds from every box for their own. Unfortunately, this I'd totally believe. With ammo essentially entering retail warehouses and going straight back out, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that companies were taking shortcuts in their warehouses that left ammo in less secure hands.

I contacted Winchester about it today. Don't know what to expect, but I'll post whatever update i receive.

Normally i wouldn't count bulk stuff like this. For example, federal ships their 400 & 420 round cans with a zip tie on both the bag inside of the can and on the latch to open the can making tampering with the quantities slightly more work than the Winchester boxes where all you have to do is peel back some tape and then return it once you've pried a few rounds out.

Is a loss of 8 rounds the end of the world? Not really. But it is the principle of it.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Default Re: Counted my bulk 5.56 ammo today

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Recently i made a purchase of 600 rounds of Winchester M855 5.56. They ship in 200 round "range packs" which are just cardboard boxes with loose ammo inside and 2 pieces of tape keeping it all honest.

I had nothing better going on today so i counted out the rounds in each box. Spoiler alert, all 3 boxes came up short.

2 of the 3 boxes were missing 2 rounds each and the third box was missing 4 rounds.

So... As i see it, one of three things happened.

1. The counting machine (be it by quantity or weight) is off at Winchester. This wouldn't surprise me. I use counting machines at work and it doesn't take much to throw the numbers off. For example, if the scale isn't level or the load isn't balanced.

2. They are knowingly shorting a few rounds in each box to produce more boxes to sell. I certainly hope this isn't the case. I don't want to point fingers like this without solid proof.

Or

3. Somebody at the retail level is taking a few rounds from every box for their own. Unfortunately, this I'd totally believe. With ammo essentially entering retail warehouses and going straight back out, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that companies were taking shortcuts in their warehouses that left ammo in less secure hands.

I contacted Winchester about it today. Don't know what to expect, but I'll post whatever update i receive.

Normally i wouldn't count bulk stuff like this. For example, federal ships their 400 & 420 round cans with a zip tie on both the bag inside of the can and on the latch to open the can making tampering with the quantities slightly more work than the Winchester boxes where all you have to do is peel back some tape and then return it once you've pried a few rounds out.

Is a loss of 8 rounds the end of the world? Not really. But it is the principle of it.

-Zach
    Some guys measured Subway's 'foot long's, which consistently came up short and it proved to be costly for the franchise. I was having trouble getting shorted EVERY time on clams in the 50 count bag at Redner's. It's bad enough that one or two are crushed but to only get 48 on a regular basis and never 52 got my goat. I mentioned it to the meat manager, not that I expected it to make any difference but since then I'm more inclined to get a few extra than shorted any. I don't know if he passed it on or not but I'm happier with my clams now.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

There are few people today that have the attention span to count to 200...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    There are few people today that have the attention span to count to 200...
    It depends on the motivation. Remember when shrimps came in a frozen #5 block in a wax coated box? I always bought the 16-20 count shrimps and I'd bring the block home, run it under water and freeze them loose in a bag so I could grab a few when I wanted them. Every time I did it I got 100 shrimps. I asked my regular purveyor who was getting the 80 count boxes. He was impressed in some kind of way.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Are you sure you weren*t using that there democrat ballot counting type math when counting?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    I got a Federal bulk pack of 149 once.
    How many were supposed to be in it?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Are you sure you weren*t using that there democrat ballot counting type math when counting?
    I'm sure. Because if i were, I'd tell you all how i actually had 2,000,000 extra rounds.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

I loaded six AR mags with a 200 round battlepack of M193.

I had one box left over.

(Lancaster County)

Twice I got 11 tortillas in a 10 pack.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

I've gotten 2 double yolk eggs per carton several times...
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast