Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Counted my bulk 5.56 ammo today

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Recently i made a purchase of 600 rounds of Winchester M855 5.56. They ship in 200 round "range packs" which are just cardboard boxes with loose ammo inside and 2 pieces of tape keeping it all honest.

I had nothing better going on today so i counted out the rounds in each box. Spoiler alert, all 3 boxes came up short.

2 of the 3 boxes were missing 2 rounds each and the third box was missing 4 rounds.

So... As i see it, one of three things happened.

1. The counting machine (be it by quantity or weight) is off at Winchester. This wouldn't surprise me. I use counting machines at work and it doesn't take much to throw the numbers off. For example, if the scale isn't level or the load isn't balanced.

2. They are knowingly shorting a few rounds in each box to produce more boxes to sell. I certainly hope this isn't the case. I don't want to point fingers like this without solid proof.

Or

3. Somebody at the retail level is taking a few rounds from every box for their own. Unfortunately, this I'd totally believe. With ammo essentially entering retail warehouses and going straight back out, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that companies were taking shortcuts in their warehouses that left ammo in less secure hands.

I contacted Winchester about it today. Don't know what to expect, but I'll post whatever update i receive.

Normally i wouldn't count bulk stuff like this. For example, federal ships their 400 & 420 round cans with a zip tie on both the bag inside of the can and on the latch to open the can making tampering with the quantities slightly more work than the Winchester boxes where all you have to do is peel back some tape and then return it once you've pried a few rounds out.

Is a loss of 8 rounds the end of the world? Not really. But it is the principle of it.

-Zach
    I've been told you should only load 29 rounds into your 30 round mags so there's that.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lebanon County)

if you have enough "bulk" ammo to actually count each rd you don't have bulk ammo, you have some ammo.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    if you have enough "bulk" ammo to actually count each rd you don't have bulk ammo, you have some ammo.
    Very true ...

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    A few days ago, i got a strange piece of mail. I thought it might be my new insurance cards. Nope. 5$ check from Winchester for the missing rounds. I'm satisfied.

It is kind of strange to me though because after they initially contacted me about lot information, I hadn't heard anything. I suspect they probably were more diligent about sending the check than the post office was about getting it to me. So while it seemed like a big delay, it was probably pretty quickly handled on their end.

-Zach
    "Hey Leni, mail this guy a $5 check. He's a nut. Who the hell counts their ammo?"
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    "Hey Leni, mail this guy a $5 check. He's a nut. Who the hell counts their ammo?"
    Consider their prices, everyone should! If just to experience the "wealth effect" of the current panic. See how much our net worth has increased...

(Lehigh County)

I bought 1000 9mm bullets from Northeast Shooter Supply in NJ. They came in a plastic bag so I counted them just for the halibut and got 986. I didn't bother complaining.
    NRA Life Member

(Washington County)

I have considered getting a scale that weighs a sample count and then counts a larger amount when weighed. Just to see how many projectiles I have left in a partially used container, etc.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I have considered getting a scale that weighs a sample count and then counts a larger amount when weighed. Just to see how many projectiles I have left in a partially used container, etc.
    Always use more than 1 of the item if you wish to get an accurate weight/count. 10 is a good start.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

I was buying SIG brass 50 count from Cabelas. There were only 49 cases. I thought I dropped or misplaced one and never found it.
    6 months later, i bought 2 more 50 round bags of the same brass from either Midway or another of my enablers.
    There were only 49 in each bag.
    I emailed the source and got an apology.
    I emailed SIG expecting the same.

They sent me a free bag of the same brass.
    I counted them and there were only 49.

I still made out.

I've never counted bulk ammo be it .223, .38s or whatever..
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123